Pages (17):    1 3 4 5 6 7 17   
jimbow8   07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:Are you talking about the paperback edition? I have the book somewhere, and found a copy of the cover in the Amazon archives:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custome...=0#gallery

Tiny url: http://tinyurl.com/9seur
Not sure if that is the one. Others have mentioned it in the past. Do people think that looks like Paul?

Either way, thanks for posting.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   07-08-2005, 03:01 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Not sure if that is the one. Others have mentioned it in the past. Do people think that looks like Paul?

Either way, thanks for posting.

I picked up the paperback of AEOTS upon returning from GU4 this February. Every time I looked at that cover I flashed to Paul, sitting at the table with us at dinner and post-dinner at the Pop Century Resort. The face (though not identical), the arms, the hands, they all reminded me very much of Paul. Paul has also stated that his hair used to be a wee bit longer and curls in the humidity, so he could have had a head of hair like Peter LaNague on the cover.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Maggers Wrote:I picked up the paperback of AEOTS upon returning from GU4 this February. Every time I looked at that cover I flashed to Paul, sitting at the table with us at dinner and post-dinner at the Pop Century Resort. The face (though not identical), the arms, the hands, they all reminded me very much of Paul. Paul has also stated that his hair used to be a wee bit longer and curls in the humidity, so he could have had a head of hair like Peter LaNague on the cover.
Did it used to be blonde too?!?!

**ducks and runs for cover**

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Anders Monsen Wrote:I’m new to the list and this topic, but a long-time fan. I don't consider myself a hardcore collector, since I don't have all of FPW's books. However, I probably fall somewhere in the upper-middle range. While I don’t have all the Gauntlet books (I lack the first two), and also lack a few of books entirely (MIRAGE and THE FIFTH HARMONIC, plus THE CHRISTMAS THINGY), I do own the Dark Harvest editions of the Adversary Cycle, as well as the Doubleday editions of the earlier sf works. I bought and read my first F. Paul Wilson book in 1986, and most books were acquired around the date of publication after that year. One of the rarest items on this list might be THE TOUCH, the first edition hardcover of which almost is impossible to find these days. I am delighted with the design and tone of Cemetery Dance’s edition of MIDNIGHT MASS, but it’s disturbing to see two typos on the first page alone of this expensive edition. After Jack Vance, FPW probably is the second most common name in my book collection.

HARDCOVER (in order of appearance)
Healer (Doubleday, 1976)
Wheels Within Wheels (Doubleday,1978) Signed
An Enemy of the State (Doubleday, 1980)
The Keep (Morrow, 1981)
The Tomb (Whispers Press, 1984)
The Touch (Putnam, 1986) Signed
Black Wind (Tor, 1988)
Reborn (Dark Harvest,1990)
Reprisal (Dark Harvest, 1991)
Sibs (Dark Harvest, 1991)
Nightworld (Dark Harvest, 1992)
The Select (Morrow, 1994)
Implant (Forge, 1995)
Deep as the Marrow (Forge, 1997)
Legacies (Forge, 1998)
Conspiracies (Forge, 2000)
All the Rage (Forge, 2000)
Hosts (Gauntlet Press, 2001) #356 of 500 numbered copies
The Haunted Air (Gauntlet Press, 2002) #206 of 475 numbered copies
Gateways (Gauntlet Press, 2003) #93 of 475 numbered copies
Sims (Forge, 2003)
Crisscross (Gauntlet Press, 2004) #112 of 500 numbered copies
Midnight Mass (Cemetery Dance, 2005) #395 of 448 numbered copies
Infernal (Gauntlet Press, 2005) #219 of 500 numbered copies

COLLECTIONS
Soft and Others (Tor, 1989) Hardcover
The Barrens and Others (Forge, 1998) Hardcover

COLLABORATIONS
& Steven Lyon,Nightkill (Forge, 1997) Hardcover
& Matthew J. Costello,Masque (Warner Books, 1998) Hardcover

CHAPBOOKS
Midnight Mass (Axolotl Press, 1990) #525 of 900 numbered copies
The Barrens (Wildside Press, 1991) #197 of 250 numbered copies

PAPERBACKS
Dydeetown World (BAEN, 1989)
The Tery (BAEN, 1990)

MISCELLANEOUS
NightVisions 6 (Dark Harvest, 1988; three stories by FPW)
Nightvisions 9 (Dark Harvest, 1991; introduction by FPW)
Dark at Heart (Dark Harvest, 1992; RJ story)
Razored Saddles (Dark Harvest, 1989; FPW story)
Stalkers (Dark Harvest, 1989; RJ story)
Freak Show (Edited by FPW) Paperback
The Keep board game

Anders, another Jack Vance soul on the board! What are your favorite books?
Anders Monsen   07-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Anders, another Jack Vance soul on the board! What are your favorite books?

Hi Mike! Glad see another Vance fan.

Hard to say. I've read every single Jack Vance book published, so there are several favorites. In no particular order, here are the best ones, in my opinion.

Araminta Station (first in a trilogy, but stands well on its own)
The Lyonesse Trilogy - best work of fantasy fiction ever published
Dark Ocean (great heroine, voyage on a steamer)
Strange Notions (dissecting human behavior contrasting Old Europe and New America)
Night Lamp (superb sf)
The Planet of Adventure series (four in all; The Pnume I have read maybe six times)
Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga (two excellent dark tales)
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Anders Monsen Wrote:Hi Mike! Glad see another Vance fan.

Hard to say. I've read every single Jack Vance book published, so there are several favorites. In no particular order, here are the best ones, in my opinion.

Araminta Station (first in a trilogy, but stands well on its own)
The Lyonesse Trilogy - best work of fantasy fiction ever published
Dark Ocean (great heroine, voyage on a steamer)
Strange Notions (dissecting human behavior contrasting Old Europe and New America)
Night Lamp (superb sf)
The Planet of Adventure series (four in all; The Pnume I have read maybe six times)
Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga (two excellent dark tales)

Damn, Anders, I thought I was a Vance scholar, but I must admit I've never seen STRANGE NOTIONS or DARK OCEAN. I'd say me own favorite Vance yarns are the DEMON PRINCES books. Do you have the mystery stories he published under the name of "John Holbrook Vance?"
Anders Monsen   07-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Damn, Anders, I thought I was a Vance scholar, but I must admit I've never seen STRANGE NOTIONS or DARK OCEAN. I'd say me own favorite Vance yarns are the DEMON PRINCES books. Do you have the mystery stories he published under the name of "John Holbrook Vance?"

Mike, these two originally only appeared as limited editions (450 copies) published by Underwood-Miller in 1985, but written decades prior. Hard to find now, and probably expensive. With the recent completion of the Vance Integral Library, the books again are available, but probably not sold separately. VIE does have a mystery selection; I think it's 10 books for $450, so you avoid the $1500 for the entire set. I own all the Underwood-Miller Jack Vance editions, but could not at the time afford the VIE set.

Yes, I have read THE DEADLY ISLES, THE FOX VALLEY MURDERS, THE PURPLE GROVE MURDERS, as well as TAKE MY FACE, BIRD ISLE, BAD RONALD, and THE MAN IN THE CAGE, plus as the three books he wrote as Ellery Queen. Two other rare books worth checking out if you have the chance are THE VIEW FROM CHICKWEED'S WINDOW, and THE HOUSE ON LILY STREET, the latter which I read at the Harry Ransom Library in Austin, as they would not let me check it out. Then, a few years ago at a Worldcon, I found a copy for $75 and considered that a cheap bargain.
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Biggles Wrote:...signed and limited Gauntlet edition.
Here's the URL:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...:B:SS:US:1

I was bidding on that, but one of you folks whupped me. I was wondering why it went so high. I just bought one at Abe Books though for $74.95. I'm spending tons of money on books lately!! The only way I can justify spending all the $$$$ on books (that I can read, for free, at the library any time I want) is to say to myself, "It's an investment! Besides, what else are you gonna do with your money?!!". Hahaa!!
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 06:01 PM
sll Wrote:I know, tough board

sll may be The Antichrist!! Was one of your parants a clone?
t4terrific   07-17-2005, 06:04 PM
ALowerDeep Wrote:Wow I Feel Like I Am Way Behind Everyone Else

My Collection Is As Follows:

The Keep:old Beat Up Paperback
The Touch:paperback
Reprisal:paperback
All The Rj Books In Various Editions
And My Personal Favorite Shivers Iii Which Has A Great Fpw Story Called Itsy Bitsy Spider And I Forgot I Have The Barrens And Others As Well.

My Library Is Enormous And I Have So Many Books It Would Take Forever To List

Alowerdeep

You can win!!! Al it takes is "want" and "money"!!
Pages (17):    1 3 4 5 6 7 17