Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Blake   05-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Jennifer Wrote:There was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where the mayor turned into this giant snakelike demon and I remember thinking uck is going through all those changes worth it to become an all powerful demon?

Finale of season three! Love that one. The comparison never occurred to me before, but there is a superficial similarity.

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Scott Miller   05-27-2012, 01:03 PM
nonquixote Wrote:I downloaded the Kindle version last night and just finished reading it. As an aside, this was the first digital book I've ever bought; the first book for which I couldn't wait long enough to obtain a hard copy.

Not that you shouldn't have downloaded it but my physical copy arrove on Friday. I exercised a little will power and finished the book I was reading yesterday and now I can finally tear into one of the most anticipated reads of my life. I have read the original version a couple of times but its been years since I last read it and when the revisions started coming out I was green with envy as I just can't afford to pay those special edition prices but now my day is here-finally!

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
nonquixote   05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Not that you shouldn't have downloaded it but my physical copy arrove on Friday.
I didn't preorder, and kind of lost track of when it was being released, so when I found out Friday it was available, my choices were: order and wait, or check my local stores and possibly pay full price, or give in to impatience and download it. My only regret about getting the electronic edition is that it hampers the ability to borrow it out to my mother, who has read my whole Adversary/Jack collection. This is only fair since it was her copy of The Tomb I read back in the 80's that started this whole journey.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Medusa   05-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I finished it this afternoon and loved it. The changes were perfect. The Hank/Nelson "character split" was much better than the original. And yes, I did cry at several parts. Bati's ending still makes me cry no matter how many times I read it. But now I have that empty feeling of no more new Jack. sigh

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
rjack_fan   05-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Wow, what a ride! I held off reading the original and I'm glad I did. The suspense through the whole book was incredible! I really thought the outcome could go either way. The ONLY thing I missed was a reunion between Jack and his ladies, but I guess you can't have everything :-)

Such a fitting end to the story. Now I can read the original and see how different things would be without Jack so involved.
Jebur27   05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I was a bit disappointed. Sad

I thought, "I'll read a couple or three chapters a day and savor the last book."

However, I started Friday and finished Monday (what with other commitments, etc.). :p

Great book!
This post was last modified: 05-31-2012, 08:32 PM by Jebur27.
Jebur27   05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I do have a question, one that has occurred to me several times since I learned of R's plans, "On what would R. feed once humanity was gone?"

I mean, it wasn't going to take long for the Earth to be human-free.
414   05-30-2012, 02:33 AM
I have never read the ealier version of Nightworld. I didn't want to spoil my initial journey into the Night. It was a literary voyage I shall never forget: like reading my first kurt Vonnegut novel. It absolutely blew me away.

I blew through it, finding I couldn't put it down. I'm entirely certain that is common with all of you here....nuthin new to you. The light outside drew me away from reading the darker passages, as I needed to reasure myself that the laws of this world still held true.

A truly viseral cycle comes to a close with a finely crafted ending. But I found myself looking for the, what was she called....um the seer, the .......oculus? The seer with black eyes (well crafted character there....the imagination it took to come up with a character who's pupils dialate to veiw the extreme pages ...... the allies comunications bringing her to her knees, like some kind of penticostal as the focal point of a localised world wide cult....totally amazing writing) whom I thought would end up living with Jack's girls, where she could "grow up" and find a small amount of nomal. But no such luck: No normal for the celestial page.

Am I missing some detail. I was curious as to why she was left to survive on the coast with out a sentance to her existance. It must have been difficult deciding on the final edit.

Nonetheless: Awesome book.....gripping unpredictable ending.

It was the ......Oculus???..... that initially got us thinking that the "heir" would be the one to swing the death blows the the big bad R. What an ending to have the old man energised by life long chore, having rebuilt the weapon. Bravo! Bravo!
414   05-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I am thrilled with the entire journey f.p.w. what a wild ride right to the end. Thanks for a world class story arc with well built charactors. Wow. Im sorry to see Jack fade back into his hidden existance.
414   05-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Did anyone else catch the mistake on .....um.... page 159 The mistake was just one [ " ]. It was not supposed to be there as it was not spoken out loud, and there was no follow-up end quote. Dang I wish I had my book with me to give the entire quote from the text. I am such a geek for pointing it out; don't anyone hire Jack because I'm such an @$$ for bringing it to light.

Why can't more American Beer company's get lip service from the Pints that Jack drinks? I will tell you. For one, the brews from other contries have perfected their brews centuries longer than the US beer. Secondly, american brewers have yet to match the perfect Guiness double stout. It hasn't happened. Come on. and I urge you micro brewers out there, come on and make us a stout worth toasting. Thirdly, most american Thats why Jack pours out of imported glass bottles of brew.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6