Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Medusa   05-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I got mine signed by the author. Doesn't affect my reading it but definitely makes it unique!
Bruj Wrote:Im actually quite happy with a mistake of this caliber. Tells me I must someday have FPW sign it for me. heh

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
swandy   06-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Agree with everyone's comments - great book and wonderful way to tie up the two series.
BTW - I only read the original when it was released (never the Borderlands edition and never re-read the original version), so it was "almost" like reading a new book.
Brian   06-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I'll admit it, I'm a little sad the tale is over. But you have to admit, Nightworld is an awesome ending to an awesome saga.

There is no wise man without fault
molasar808   06-03-2012, 10:48 PM
This may have been covered in a previous thread and if it has I apologize, but I was wondering about something Glaeken says early on in Nightworld about the leviathans. If he's been keeping R at bay for eons how does he know what the leviathns look like? I get the chew wasps and the belly bugs, they've been seen before, I just don't recall any of the stories related to the "Secret History" ever mentioning them before. Maybe I missed something?

Thoughts?

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
sjfwhite   06-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Like an earlier poster, I am trying to figure out where/how the Occulus fit in here. Initially I thought she was the little girl at the end but the addition of the dog and the allusion to her age suggested that The Lady had once again returned and the world was once again sentient from the point of view of the Ally. Paul want to pains to bring in previous major characters from the RMJ series but where is the Occulus?

Great read! Thanks Paul!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
quikfix228   06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I just finished my reading of nightworld, something ive been looking forward to since the day fpw let us know it was coming. Thank you, fpw, for writing the stories you did, as i have loved jack from the begining and all of your other works. they are my own little group of friends, and i loved to be able to come along for the ride. my father and i talk about your characters like we actually know them, and thats something many authors dont produce so often. to write stories that resonate and touch people the way you do must be the most amazing and satisfying feeling EVER. Thank you for all the additions in the book, as i only read the original 92 version. AND THANK YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING FOR PUTTING A GUN IN GIA'S HANDS FINALLY AND FOR MAKING JACK A PART OF THE FINAL BATTLE. someone else mentioned the love they had for the new jack dialogue and i have to as well. perfect. he needed some payback to that dirty R and im glad he got it. no one could have written a better story, series, secret history, and all of the other good stuff. ive said it once and ill say it again. YOURE THE MAN FPW. thank you
richardhill   06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I have the old version of Nightworld. I know many of the books leading up to the Dark at the End show the contact and friendship between Glaeken and Jack. I know Nightworld was written prior to these books.

My question, before i go and buy the updated version is this: Does Jack know Glaeken in the updated version of Nightworld?

The encounter between Jack and Glaeken shortly after Jack's annual Park-a-thon has Jack asking Glaeken if he knows him. They go and have a few beers, and get acquainted - and I wish (now that i am nearly complete in re-reading ALL of the books, but this time in order) that it would continue where The Dark at the End leaves off, with a close bond between the 2.

Thanks!!!!

--I think when I finish, I will start again. FPW's work makes you want to do that.
A-dono   06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
molasar808 Wrote:This may have been covered in a previous thread and if it has I apologize, but I was wondering about something Glaeken says early on in Nightworld about the leviathans. If he's been keeping R at bay for eons how does he know what the leviathns look like? I get the chew wasps and the belly bugs, they've been seen before, I just don't recall any of the stories related to the "Secret History" ever mentioning them before. Maybe I missed something?

Thoughts?

I'd think that during the First Age, chaos holes weren't an unusual occurrence and that Glaeken has seen and dealt with leviathans and those other night creatures before.

richardhill Wrote:I have the old version of Nightworld. I know many of the books leading up to the Dark at the End show the contact and friendship between Glaeken and Jack. I know Nightworld was written prior to these books.

My question, before i go and buy the updated version is this: Does Jack know Glaeken in the updated version of Nightworld?

The encounter between Jack and Glaeken shortly after Jack's annual Park-a-thon has Jack asking Glaeken if he knows him. They go and have a few beers, and get acquainted - and I wish (now that i am nearly complete in re-reading ALL of the books, but this time in order) that it would continue where The Dark at the End leaves off, with a close bond between the 2.

Thanks!!!!

--I think when I finish, I will start again. FPW's work makes you want to do that.

Yes. Jack and Glaeken formally meet in By The Sword (although Jack unknowingly met him in the third YA novel, and Glaeken had been aware of him for a long time), and are already pretty well acquainted in the revised Nightworld.

Anyway, I just finished it on my Kindle. Everyone else has pretty much said all there is to be said; it was fantastic and a great way to end the Secret Histories.

Like some others have already mentioned, I was curious as to what became of the Occulus during the Change, but overall, I wasn't too bothered by her absence. I really like how Drexler was dealt with: the insipid little Quisling deserved every bit of his fate.

I also really like Jack's expanded role in the final showdown between Glaeken and Rasalom. It stuck me that when Glaeken loaned Jack his sword, he was able to activate its power. Had Glaeken not lived till the end, Jack really would've become to new Sentinel.

Sad to see the Secret Histories come to and end once and for all but I'm excited to see what FPW comes up with next.
DominusDeus   06-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Having never read the original Nightworld, and upon reading that Wilson's Repairman Jack series was coming to an end, along with a revised Nightworld, I held off until the series was finished and the revised edition was released. Having said that, I'm ecstatic with the end, but also annoyed, which I'll get to in a moment.

Reason’s I’m pleased:
[spoiler]Jack, Gia, and Vicky live.
Abe and Julio live.
The Lady is back, and Glaeken survives.
Gia with a shotgun.[/spoiler]

Those were what mattered to me most. I don’t have much of a problem with the Repairman Jack series ending (though saddened, yet still happy to know there are three more pre-Tomb novels to come), I would still like to see a post-Nightworld novel dealing with the political and social situations that happen after the Nightworld events. What all geological effects were there? How has the climate changed from those effects? How is society rebuilding? Have and biological and scientific discoveries been made from the dead (and possibly captured) creatures? Has any country said, “screw it, we wanna take over *smashes the red Very Important Red Button of Nuclear Doom*”? Have any of physics’ laws remained broken? What was the global death toll?

I’m sure there are tons of questions that would make for an interesting novel that doesn’t include any of the previous characters. I think it would be awesome to have a stand-alone post-Nightworld novel that doesn’t require any other reading, just knowing that some near-apocalyptic world of hell happened over the period of a few days and suddenly stopped. Probably won’t happen, but a guy can dream.

But on to the reason’s I didn’t like the ending:
[spoiler]Rasalom was defeated. I kind of wanted the Nightworld world to remain like that. Every effort to stop him fails, all the main characters die, and the world falls into despair forever. As much as I would’ve liked this ending, I would’ve hated it, too. A catch-22.

Baring the above not happening, I feel someone close to Jack should’ve died; probably Vicky. It would suck, but imagine the rage it would send Jack into. Imagine the effects it could’ve had on Gia. She would either become catatonic… or get really good at firearms.

Conversely, Gia dying and Vicky taking up arms would have be interesting.[/spoiler]

Regardless, it was a fantastic end, and a great end to the Repairman Jack series. I eagerly await the pre-Tomb trilogy that Wilson is working on, and hope he would consider the post-Nightworld stuff, and perhaps a couple First Age novels leading up to the Age ending. Lots of potentially interesting stuff could’ve happened back then. Elementals? Must. Learn. More.
Portchy79   06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
*SPOILERS*

Well, I started my new copy yesterday and just finished it today. Have the 1992 version to compare it to (That was my first ever FPW book, bought by my mum for me for 20p at a school fete years ago!). Absolutely loved it! The changes make a lot of sense and ties up all the loose ends of the story arcs in the RJ cycle as well as the Adversary Cycle. The little things like Jack and Ba bringing Kolabati with them to New York, Drexler and Hank getting their comeupance and how they both realised that Rasalom actually just used them, and didnt give two hoots about them. And I will admit was worried that it would be changed too much in that Jack would take Glaeken's place in the grande finale; keeping it with Glaeken having to take up the burden of being the Sentinel was bittersweet, and Jack supporting him was obvious. Jack was very human throughout the series, you could sense his fears for Gia, Abe and Vicky throughout, and how he first didn't want to take the sword as it would mean he would lose the 2 most important people to him was brilliant. And as for the scenes at the bunker- I was getting seriously worried!

And I do agree with an earlier post, Alan Bulmer's death is very sad. He dies protecting his family, and takes the sacrifice and gags himself to stop Sylvia from hearing him. He is a true hero.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6