Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6   
Damin J. Toell   05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, it's finally here. I figured I'd open up this thread so everyone can post their thoughts on the new, definitive NIGHTWORLD. I've only read the original 1992 version, so I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out. Everyone post your thoughts, and feel free to post spoilers.

Personally, I never thought this day would come - it always seemed far in the future.
Tony H   05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Damin J. Toell Wrote:Well, it's finally here. I figured I'd open up this thread so everyone can post their thoughts on the new, definitive NIGHTWORLD. I've only read the original 1992 version, so I'm looking forward to seeing how everything plays out. Everyone post your thoughts, and feel free to post spoilers.

Personally, I never thought this day would come - it always seemed far in the future.

I too have only read the "Jack-light" 1992 version as well so I am curious to see how this all wraps up in the revised edition. It has downloaded to my nook and I will rip into it this weekend!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
cobalt   05-24-2012, 12:22 PM
It's totally awesome!!!!
Of course we could expect no less.

EWMAN
Jennifer   05-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I stumbled on a Repairman Jack book at the library about three years not realizing it was sci-fi (it was one where Jack was just starting to realize what the heck was going on). I enjoyed it enough to read all the subsequent ones and all the earlier ones.

I read Nightworld and at the time either did not know it was to be revised or was too impatient to wait for the revision -- I don't remember which. Later I was really sorry I hadn't waited.

I enjoyed the revised version although frankly the plot was just too familiar. Then I got to the last forty or fifty pages and I couldn't put it down. WOW! Even knowing how the battle would end didn't make the last few pages less powerful and exciting. And did I mention "feel good?" This revision is a fitting ending to the Jack the Repairman saga,

Truly well done Mr. Wilson!!!!!!
The Fifth Infernal   05-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Thank you so much Mr. Wilson for the revised, revised edition. This has exceeded my Repairman Crack cravings and needs.

I have been a lurker and a HUGE Jack fan for the past five years.

I love the new part which covers in detail what goes on at Abe's farm and bomb shelter with Gia and Vicky.

I love the improved last battle vs R. I thought Jack would be completely taking Glaeken's place. Their collaboration kicked major mule's behind.

The little girl with the puppy and Parabellum at the finale brought tears to my eyes.

Now that the revised and improved (while keeping so much of what was great in the original) version is "final" I highly recommend to anyone reading the series to start this new Nightworld immediately following The Dark at the End.

Thank you for Jack. Thank you for The Secret History. Thank you for being such an active part of this forum Mr. F. Paul Wilson!
This post was last modified: 05-25-2012, 04:54 AM by The Fifth Infernal.
Tony H   05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
The Fifth Infernal Wrote:Thank you so much Mr. Wilson for the revised, revised edition. This has exceeded my Repairman Crack cravings and needs.

I have been a lurker and a HUGE Jack fan for the past five years.

I love the new part which covers in detail what goes on at Abe's farm and bomb shelter with Gia and Vicky.

I love the improved last battle vs R. I thought Jack would be completely taking Glaeken's place. Their collaboration kicked major mule's behind.

The little girl with the puppy and Parabellum at the finale brought tears to my eyes.

Now that the revised and improved (while keeping so much of what was great in the original) version is "final" I highly recommend to anyone reading the series to start this new Nightworld immediately following The Dark at the End.

Thank you for Jack. Thank you for The Secret History. Thank you for being such an active part of this forum Mr. F. Paul Wilson!

Thank you for posting after five years of lurking! Your post gave me chills...I don't know why, perhaps it's because I can relate to the level of excitement/anticipation or because it really drives home the fact that the saga has come to an end. (Minus the early years NY trilogy coming soon.)

You should stick around and post more now that you have broken the seal. Smile

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Blake   05-26-2012, 12:38 AM
I thought one change from the Borderlands Press revised edition was surprisingly big: the replacement of Hank Treece with Hank Thompson. It was a perfect ending for Thompson, and in the scheme of things, I guess it wasn't a big change... but when I'd first heard that revisions from the Borderlands version would be minor, I wasn't expecting a character switch! It made perfect sense, though.

I got a kick out of Jack's new dialogue to Rasalom at the end, too. I was grinning ear to ear reading that.

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Jennifer   05-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Blake Wrote:I got a kick out of Jack's new dialogue to Rasalom at the end, too. I was grinning ear to ear reading that.
There was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where the mayor turned into this giant snakelike demon and I remember thinking uck is going through all those changes worth it to become an all powerful demon?

When I read the original Nightworld my reaction was the same about Rasalom's change. My reaction to Jack's comments to Rasalom about the change was a very enthusiastic "right on."
nonquixote   05-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Well.

I downloaded the Kindle version last night and just finished reading it. As an aside, this was the first digital book I've ever bought; the first book for which I couldn't wait long enough to obtain a hard copy.

I loved it. I found it inestimably more satisfying than the original version, which suffered for me from having been read after I had read all the secret history including the whole Repairman Jack saga. This book now really does provide a fitting conclusion to the Secret History, and I also actually got a little teary when the little girl with the puppy appeared. Even outside of tying up most of the loose ends, I think the story is just better for the revisions.

Thank you Doctor Wilson for all the really great stories, and not just the ones in this series. I hope for many more to come.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
cobalt   05-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Blake Wrote:I thought one change from the Borderlands Press revised edition was surprisingly big: the replacement of Hank Treece with Hank Thompson. It was a perfect ending for Thompson, and in the scheme of things, I guess it wasn't a big change... but when I'd first heard that revisions from the Borderlands version would be minor, I wasn't expecting a character switch! It made perfect sense, though.

I thought that this was very clever....and it worked so well too.

Quote:I got a kick out of Jack's new dialogue to Rasalom at the end, too. I was grinning ear to ear reading that.

Me too. But...it was the little girl at the very end. I knew about her from the previous revised version....but her appearance again was so touching. A perfect end to a series, well loved by the lot of us.

To FPW,

Thank you, sir. You really know how to write them. Smile

EWMAN
Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6