Pages (23): 1 2 3 4 5 23   
Sigokat   06-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Since the "what are you reading" thread is closed and this forum says to post about Non-FPW books, I guess I'll start a new thread here.

I'm currently reading Jim Butcher's Storm Front. I think its the first book in the Dresden Files, but not 100% sure.

So far its not a bad book, easy to follow and get in to whether or not its the first book or not.

I'm not sure if I'll continue with the series once I'm done, I guess I'll see once I'm done with this one which should be soon. I started a couple days ago and I'm already about half way done.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Medusa   06-12-2011, 08:36 PM
You are correct. It is the first one in the series. Its a great series. I also love his fantasy series: Codex Alera.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
A-dono   06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Currently reading A History of Japan: Second Edition by Conrad Totman.

It's a door-stopper but well worth it.
Medusa   06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm reading one of my free Smashwords books that I downloaded yesterday: Into Hell by James Roy Daley. Weird, creepy and I am loving it

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Monquito   06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Just finished Denis Lehane's Shutter Island. Starts brilliantly. Crisply written and a creepy atmosphere.

Becomes very silly and flat later on. A pity.

I'm now reading Patrick Culhane's Black Hats: an aged Wyatt Earp takes on Al Capone. Great concept. I'm only a few chapters in but it's very engaging so far.

After that I'll get cracking on book 3 of the Gunslinger series.
wdg3rd   06-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Rereading a few volumes of Lois McMaster Bujold's "Miles Vorkosigan" series, presently A Civil Campaign. Next "new" book in the pile, Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge.
This post was last modified: 06-13-2011, 12:34 AM by wdg3rd.

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
rjack_fan   06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
I've been catching up on some classics since I got my iPad. Reading way more now since it's so comfortable to use for several hours.

The Day of the Triffids
Dracula
Anno Dracula
The Midwich Cuckoos

By chance I had just finished Dracula when Anno Dracula came out for kindle. Glad I had that all fresh in my head, it made the reading much easier.

If you can find them, the Diogenes Club short story collections by Kim Newman are awesome, and provide some good background on some of the characters from Anno Dracula as well. There are also numerous references to characters from the time the book was set, but I haven't read enough to catch them all. With the extensive notes in the ebook, I have a good list of books to work through, then I will reread it and see how much I catch.
APhew   06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm enjoying ROBOPOCALYPSE by Daniel H. Wilson immensely. The format reminds me a lot of WORLD WAR Z by Max Brooks. It covers the before, beginning, during, and after of the rise of the machines. Not to be confused with the whole Terminator mythos, the only thing it has in common is the whole machines rising up and trying to destroy humanity. The story itself follows different "heroes" from the beginning to the end and the way it's structured makes for extremely fast reading.
Lysistrata   06-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Re-reading Abarat by Clive Barker.

Trying to be nice
Alvin Fox   06-13-2011, 12:13 PM
The Five by Robert McCammon should be arriving today.
Pages (23): 1 2 3 4 5 23