Pages (23):    1 2 3 4 5 23   
Medusa   06-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Jeffery Deaver is coming to Murder by the Book in Houston this Sunday for his new Carte Blanch book (James Bond). I called yesterday and ordered two copies of the book (I'm getting one signed for a friend) and I got my line signing numbers. I'm 8 & 9! Woo hoo!

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Marc   06-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm slowly making my way through A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the second book in his Name of the Wind series. Good but long. Just over 1000 pages. I was actually moving along on pretty well, and then some personal stuff got in the way and now I've slowed down about 75% through.
The Mad American   06-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Marc Wrote:I'm slowly making my way through A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the second book in his Name of the Wind series. Good but long. Just over 1000 pages. I was actually moving along on pretty well, and then some personal stuff got in the way and now I've slowed down about 75% through.

I loved the first book and really liked "A Wise Man's Fear" as well. He has a lot to wrap up in the last book. It is just supposed to be a trilogy if I remember correctly.

I think "Name of the Wind" was one of the best fantasy books I have read in a very long time.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Scott Miller   06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Although it was only the second book of the series, I loved The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth. The first is Blood Oath. Both are fueled by manic action, wry humor and some interesting use of history.

I am now well into I Don't Want To Kill You, the third installment in Dan Wells 'Serial Killer" trilogy and it is as good as the first two.

I did just pick up Depraved by Bryan Smith and if you haven't read him you are missing out on one the better new horror writers going IMO. Not for the squeamish however.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Tony H   06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Medusa Wrote:Jeffery Deaver is coming to Murder by the Book in Houston this Sunday for his new Carte Blanch book (James Bond). I called yesterday and ordered two copies of the book (I'm getting one signed for a friend) and I got my line signing numbers. I'm 8 & 9! Woo hoo!

I am a huge fan of Jeffery Deaver...more of his Lincoln Rhyme novels than any other franchise he has going at the moment. He seems to know EVERYTHING about everything, so he is either really smart or Googles the hell out of some shit.

I would be a bigger fan if he just let his hair go with dignity and shave it off. That toilet bowl seat look is hideous. He should have the decency to not have a picture of himself on his covers.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Scott Miller   07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I did just pick up Depraved by Bryan Smith and if you haven't read him you are missing out on one the better new horror writers going IMO. Not for the squeamish however.

Depraved is so aptly titled, its like Wrong Turn on steroids. It was one of those rare occasions where the book was set in a place eerily similar to where I was at while reading it adding to its power. Another excellent gruesome entry in Smith's stable.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Kenji   07-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not comic book fan, but now I'm reading KINGDOM COME. Someone wrote words of praise about this, but I don't remember who he was.

Yes, it's really great story.
Noodle   07-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Oh, yeah, Kingdom Come is fantastic. Great story, top notch art, classy work all the way around.

Thinking about rereading George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman series. Love that series.
Tesla's folly   07-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Evelyn Waugh always amused me.

I used to be a comic fan, but I was reading them during that spider-man clone thing in the '90s and just gave up on comics because..what was that even.
Medusa   07-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm about 50 pages in Carte Blanche by Jeffery Deaver (yes, I finally get a chance to read it). So far its an awesome book.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Pages (23):    1 2 3 4 5 23