Pages (11):    1 5 6 7 8 9 11   
Ken Valentine   08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
lexator222 Wrote:Hey! I thought that he had disposed of that gun! I know he did that after his father was killed at the airport.
He did.

Ken V.
law dawg   08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Its flatness is not something to consider in comparison to its width, and the 1911 is a fairly wide gun.

Ken V.

Flatness is a huge consideration if one carries in the inguinal channel.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
law dawg   08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Also very true, but there are things which sometimes just can't be accounted for. The harsh recoil of the 338 Winchester Magnum for example. There other cartridges that are more powerful, but don't have as harsh a recoil as the 338 Win Mag.

The Derringer that I rechambered from 45 ACP to 45 Colt (the 1873 cartridge) ended up -- according to the owner -- having recoil which stung his hand, whereas in its original chambering, it was comparatively mild.

So, you never know until you actually try it.

Ken V.

Maybe I need to have a pint or two of liquid courage and then try the shotgun derringer even though that violates range safety 101 - no booze and guns. Still, I might need the courage. Wink

law dawg   08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Nearly impossible -- it depends on what kind of clothing you're wearing, but I know what you mean, it's a very large gun. Then again, nearly any gun with a double-stack magazine is going to be fairly large -- wide at least. The S&W 59 series have a double-stack mag, and they're fairly large as well, even though they have a barrel that's one inch shorter.

Ken V.

The Beretta is not only wide, but loooooooong. We called it the Italian Tomahawk.

Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
law dawg Wrote:Flatness is a huge consideration if one carries in the inguinal channel.

The Inguinal Channel...didn't the Royal Navy win a battle there against the Italian fleet in 1942?
Ken Valentine   08-18-2008, 09:16 PM
law dawg Wrote:The Beretta is not only wide, but loooooooong. We called it the Italian Tomahawk.
As I said, the Beretta has a 5-inch long barrel, (actually, 5.3 inches -- longer than the Colt's 1911 government model) and the Smith has a 4-inch long barrel. If anything, that long barrel contributes to a longer sight radius which makes it potentially more accurate.

I like the Beretta, but yes, it is difficult to conceal under ordinary conditions.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   08-18-2008, 09:19 PM
law dawg Wrote:Flatness is a huge consideration if one carries in the inguinal channel.
Hunh?

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
law dawg Wrote:Maybe I need to have a pint or two of liquid courage and then try the shotgun derringer even though that violates range safety 101 - no booze and guns. Still, I might need the courage. Wink
One shot isn't going to hurt that much. Although you might want to try it left handed just as a precaution. (How well did the Navicular bone in your wrist heal up? I'm assuming it was in your right wrist.)

Ken V.
cobalt   08-18-2008, 09:27 PM

The spots on either side of your body where your upper leg meets your lower abdomen...the "creases" surrounding the area known as the groin.

EWMAN
KRW   08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:One shot isn't going to hurt that much. Although you might want to try it left handed just as a precaution. (How well did the Navicular bone in your wrist heal up? I'm assuming it was in your right wrist.)

Ken V.

Pretty sound advise. I had trouble holding onto tools for a few days after I shot that derringer. (for a while, I thought I had broken something in my hand. You know since hindsight is 20/20, when you're mad, hit walls with your left too.
Pages (11):    1 5 6 7 8 9 11