Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Sigokat   02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
So I was looking on imdb.com just now and found this post as a response to someone asking who/what Molasar is. I've never heard anybody mention anything like this on this board and since Mr. Wilson frequents this board I was curious if this was true...that is if you can actually decipher what is being said.

"I assume you read the original novel. If so, I presume you have picked up on the fact that Wilson was (and still is) a major fan of the Tolkien Ring Trilogy. (A major clue to this is in the reference to Glaeken's sword which is engraved with ancient runes. The same sword which he must use to kill Rasalom).

Wilson has in the past often referred to the "last surviving" human character in Mordor, from the "War of the Rings". The only such character I could gleen from this chapter would be the so-called "Mouth of Sauron". (This is the same character who was beheaded by Gimli, in the film version of "The Return of the King". But in the actual novel he removes himself from the Fellowship, unscathed). And apparantly survives as he he a long living survivor from the ancient contenent Numenor (Atlantis in Tolkien's mythology).

Wilson in this novel (as well as it's sequels) has referred to Molasar/Glenn (Rasalom/Glaeken) as HUMAN. Immortal, perhaps. But human nonetheless.

A not bad rip-off of Manly Wade Wellman's short story of 1944 entitled "The Devil Is Not Mocked", by the way.

"I am bound to this earth. I make it my domain".

Dracula "

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
phoenix rising   02-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I read it but can't figure out half of what was actually said.:confused:
RichE   02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
sigokat Wrote:So I was looking on imdb.com just now and found this post as a response to someone asking who/what Molasar is. I've never heard anybody mention anything like this on this board and since Mr. Wilson frequents this board I was curious if this was true...that is if you can actually decipher what is being said.

"I assume you read the original novel. If so, I presume you have picked up on the fact that Wilson was (and still is) a major fan of the Tolkien Ring Trilogy. (A major clue to this is in the reference to Glaeken's sword which is engraved with ancient runes. The same sword which he must use to kill Rasalom).

Wilson has in the past often referred to the "last surviving" human character in Mordor, from the "War of the Rings". The only such character I could gleen from this chapter would be the so-called "Mouth of Sauron". (This is the same character who was beheaded by Gimli, in the film version of "The Return of the King". But in the actual novel he removes himself from the Fellowship, unscathed). And apparantly survives as he he a long living survivor from the ancient contenent Numenor (Atlantis in Tolkien's mythology).

Wilson in this novel (as well as it's sequels) has referred to Molasar/Glenn (Rasalom/Glaeken) as HUMAN. Immortal, perhaps. But human nonetheless.

A not bad rip-off of Manly Wade Wellman's short story of 1944 entitled "The Devil Is Not Mocked", by the way.

"I am bound to this earth. I make it my domain".

Dracula "

"NIGHT GALLERY" did 'DEVIL IS NOT MOCKED" starring Francis Lederer. Interesting connection!
Noelie   02-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I think that what they're saying is... because Rasalom and Glaeken are human, they must have been inspired by this last surviving human in Mordor. Or that The Keep is a ripoff of a Manly Wade Wellman story. Or possibly both.

And that FPW is clearly a big fan of the Rings trilogy since Glaeken's sword is engraved with runes... which I guess must be true since no real societies in history engraved things with runes. Rolleyes

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Sigokat   02-19-2008, 03:46 PM
Noelie Wrote:I think that what they're saying is... because Rasalom and Glaeken are human, they must have been inspired by this last surviving human in Mordor. Or that The Keep is a ripoff of a Manly Wade Wellman story. Or possibly both.

And that FPW is clearly a big fan of the Rings trilogy since Glaeken's sword is engraved with runes... which I guess must be true since no real societies in history engraved things with runes. Rolleyes

So...I'm still confused as to what this guy was trying to say...sounded like he was trying to spout off a bunch of "Rings" knowledge (even though in the extended edition of RoTK it was Aragorn, not Gimli that beheaded The Mouth of Sauron). I remember TMoS being a human in the book and that he did walk away unscathed (after showing the group Frodo's Mithril as "proof" that the ring was recovered) because Gandalf sent him scurrying back with his tail between his legs so to speak.

Still, I'm not sure what this guy was trying to say...to me it sounded like he was saying that The Keep was a psuedo rip off of both LoTR and the other story he referenced...I don't know.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
fpw   02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
[SIZE="3"]First off, I'm not a fan of LOtR -- I struggled through it once as a teen (skimming a lot) and never looked back. I don't know where this confused know-it-all got his info, but it wasn't from me. The influences on The Keep were Ludlum, R. E. Howard, and Lovecraft.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
phoenix rising   02-19-2008, 05:49 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]First off, I'm not a fan of LOtR -- I struggled through it once as a teen (skimming a lot) and never looked back. I don't know where this confused know-it-all got his info, but it wasn't from me. The influences on The Keep were Ludlum, R. E. Howard, and Lovecraft.[/SIZE]

Thanks for clearing that up! I am no longer confused!!
Noelie   02-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Sig, that was just my sarcastic way of saying that I really didn't know what the hell he was getting at either. Just the sarcasm didn't translate that well. Wink

Confused know-it-all... not sure why, but that tickled my funny bone. I'm still giggling.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
beowulf   02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I apparently have to read some of Lovecraft's work, everyone mentions his writings and I know very little about them.

I'd attribute this guy's post to the many thousands of people whose lives do not extend very far beyond the virtual walls of the internet. A sad guy, with a lot of mixed ideas in his confused head who is desperate to come up with something novel.

The Internet: A gift AND a curse...

"Fate has me highly skilled and loaded with talent."
Sigokat   02-20-2008, 05:01 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]First off, I'm not a fan of LOtR -- I struggled through it once as a teen (skimming a lot) and never looked back. I don't know where this confused know-it-all got his info, but it wasn't from me. The influences on The Keep were Ludlum, R. E. Howard, and Lovecraft.[/SIZE]

Sir, Roger that. I knew that it didn't sound quite right and just the way the post reads it awfully confusing as to what the hell the guy was trying to say.

I kind of figured he was talking out of his fourth point of contact since it seemed as if the guy was speaking as if he knew you and from what I've seen (and not seen for that matter) on this board you've never mentioned LotR as an "influence".

BLUF...the guy's a turd for talking as if he knew you and what your "influences" were and then to call your book a rip-off was pretty f'ed up. I was going to respond on imdb.com but figured I'd stay out of it because that is one of the worst message boards I've ever seen.

Oh well...FIDO...back to work.

Sig

Major K

Pages (3): 1 2 3