Pages (3):    1 2 3
phoenix rising   02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
ROTFLMAO (which is quite a feat since it is my biggest asset......pun CLEARLY intended)
Biggles   02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:I feel like I can be of great assistance in clearing up some of this confusion. Cool

FPW did indeed rip off "The Devil In Moccasains" when he wrote The Keep, but only in the creation of the character "Kaempffer The Limping Kanoodel", Glaeken/Glenn's comedy sidekick. All the other aspects of the novel; Molasar/Rasalom, The Keep itself, Poland and Nazis are entirely original creations by Wilson.

FPW was NOT influenced by LOTR, in fact he was Tolkien's ghostwriter during that project. Persistent rumours indicate that Tolkien's involvement in that project was restricted purely to the creation of Tom Bombadil, the rest of the novel attributable solely to Wilson.

Other pen-names frequently used by Wilson include Robert Ludlum, Jackie Chan, HP Lovecraft (the name under which Wilson also created the famously revolting condiment) and Ernest F. Spencer (for his stand up comedy routines).

I also have it on good authority (unfortunaltey I cannot reveal my source on this one) that Wilson Gave Rock 'n' Roll To Us.

I hope that cleared thigs up for everyone. :p

You are certainly allowed to ramble here. Unlike our country, this board is free. Likewise, I am at liberty to bring out the connection between the Keep and (like all other things) Pittsburgh (which as we all know is the center of the known universe, home to 7 time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Stillers (after they strip Belicheat and the Cheatriots of the two AFC titles they stole from the Stillers), Chipped Ham, and professional football).

Glaeken (Scott Glenn) was born in Pittsburgh. http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001277/bio

Alberta Watson, who played Eva, starred in a movie called "Penguins Behind Bars". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376065/
The Penguins are Pittsburgh's NHL team.

Juergen Prochnow (Hauptmann Klaus Woermann) starred in the English Patient with Willem Dafoe, who was born and raised in Appleton, Wisconsin, home of famous Pittsburgh Stillers running back Rocky Bleier!
http://www.rockybleier.com/story.html

Robert Prosky (Father Fonescu) played the garage owner in "Christine", which was set in Pittsburgh.

Finally, author F. Paul Wilson was commonly known to consume Rolling Rock beer, brewed in Latrobe, PA, outside Pittsburgh, before the brand was tragically absorbed by Anheuser-Busch, makers of pale yellow beerish tasting carbonated water.

Coincidences? I think not!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Dave F   02-20-2008, 04:59 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:HP Lovecraft (the name under which Wilson also created the famously revolting condiment)

You had me kinda confused here - until I got to the photo

Very funny - made me smile after a crap day at work

Thanks you BWT

PS What do you mean revolting surely all true blood englishmen know that it is almost physically impossible to eat bacon & black pudding sandwiches without a liberal application of HP!

The artist formally known as Britfan
The Mad American   02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Biggles Wrote:You are certainly allowed to ramble here. Unlike our country, this board is free. Likewise, I am at liberty to bring out the connection between the Keep and (like all other things) Pittsburgh (which as we all know is the center of the known universe, home to 7 time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Stillers (after they strip Belicheat and the Cheatriots of the two AFC titles they stole from the Stillers), Chipped Ham, and professional football).

Glaeken (Scott Glenn) was born in Pittsburgh. http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001277/bio

Alberta Watson, who played Eva, starred in a movie called "Penguins Behind Bars". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376065/
The Penguins are Pittsburgh's NHL team.

Juergen Prochnow (Hauptmann Klaus Woermann) starred in the English Patient with Willem Dafoe, who was born and raised in Appleton, Wisconsin, home of famous Pittsburgh Stillers running back Rocky Bleier!
http://www.rockybleier.com/story.html

Robert Prosky (Father Fonescu) played the garage owner in "Christine", which was set in Pittsburgh.

Finally, author F. Paul Wilson was commonly known to consume Rolling Rock beer, brewed in Latrobe, PA, outside Pittsburgh, before the brand was tragically absorbed by Anheuser-Busch, makers of pale yellow beerish tasting carbonated water.

Coincidences? I think not!

Man, you guys really have me questioning my "Little House on the Prairie" connection/rip off for The Keep.

But I mean as convincing as all your arguments are, the Tolkien, Pittsburgh etc etc how can you argue the absolute direct link between Half Pint and Rasalom?

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

jimbow8   02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
beowulf Wrote:I apparently have to read some of Lovecraft's work, everyone mentions his writings and I know very little about them.

Yes, yes, you do. I was in the same boat as you until a few years ago. Now I rank HPL right up there with Poe.

And I second FPW's recommendation, though there are any number of compilations which you can pick up that would also be fine. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a COMPLETE collection.

Happy reading! (or maybe I should say Horrifying reading!)

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Blake   02-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I picked up that collection myself, but I've only read a couple of the stories so far. I need to find more time to read. But I have to concur with FPW's recommendation of "The Thing on the Doorstep". Creepy. With a high "ick factor" at the end. Good stuff.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
beowulf   02-21-2008, 01:27 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Yes, yes, you do. I was in the same boat as you until a few years ago. Now I rank HPL right up there with Poe.

And I second FPW's recommendation, though there are any number of compilations which you can pick up that would also be fine. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a COMPLETE collection.

Happy reading! (or maybe I should say Horrifying reading!)

Consider it bumped to the top portion of my "to read" list!

"Fate has me highly skilled and loaded with talent."
bones weep tedium   02-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Britfan Wrote:PS What do you mean revolting surely all true blood englishmen know that it is almost physically impossible to eat bacon & black pudding sandwiches without a liberal application of HP!

I do enjoy HP sauce on Pig Sandwiches, but if asked I couldnt say why. In many ways, HP sauce is the most disgusting substance on earth.

It kinda does make you feel like the 'Daddy' whenever you slop it on, though. I think maybe it's a rites of passage thing for many people Wink

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
phoenix rising   02-21-2008, 09:32 AM
The Mad American Wrote:Man, you guys really have me questioning my "Little House on the Prairie" connection/rip off for The Keep.

But I mean as convincing as all your arguments are, the Tolkien, Pittsburgh etc etc how can you argue the absolute direct link between Half Pint and Rasalom?

Do tell! And maybe I will one day reveal to you the REAL secrets of the universeWink
Pages (3):    1 2 3