Pages (44):    1 8 9 10 11 12 44   
Auskar   02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Maggers Wrote:I'm surprised that if you feel it's a waste of your time that you continue to watch. There are many other channels to flip to.
I've already answered that one in response to Jimbow's similar statement.

I'm not criticizing you (or anyone) for watching Lost, but I'm certainly free to criticize the show.
mitch   02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Maggers Wrote:I care. I also don't consider watching a show that I very much enjoy to be a waste of my time.

I'm surprised that if you feel it's a waste of your time that you continue to watch. There are many other channels to flip to.
Amen sister. If you have no taste for exposition, this is not the show for you.
Lisa   02-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Auskar Wrote:Everyone was once AT LEAST that excited over a French woman being on the island. Haven't heard much of her lately, so it must have been REAL important.

Or maybe she's just LOST...

I think she's on vacation with Walt, his dad, the invisible creature, and possibly Sun and Jin.
Maggers   02-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Lisa Wrote:I think she's on vacation with Walt, his dad, the invisible creature, and possibly Sun and Jin.

Maybe they're all at Disneyworld! Hey I wanna go!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lisa   02-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Maggers Wrote:Maybe they're all at Disneyworld! Hey I wanna go!

Me too. Big Grin But not with the Losties!!
Auskar   02-28-2007, 04:19 AM
mitch Wrote:If you have no taste for exposition, this is not the show for you.
Exposition in drama is that part of the story that provides background about the motivations, conflicts, setting, major characters and so forth. I like exposition (especially about characters), provided it is also in a PLOT that moves along.

That's sort of why I keep sticking with "Lost."

At the same time, "plot" is essential. When the plot does not progress, viewers become frustrated -- no matter how great the exposition may be. Most often these types of shows get cancelled (like "Daybreak," for example), at least prime-time shows. Sometimes these "expostion" dramas may be a HIT for awhile BEFORE they get cancelled, like "Twin Peaks." However, even Twin Peaks focused too much on "expostion" and not enough on plot, and it eventually got cancelled, too.

The writers of the show get frustrated, too. That's why the writers of LOST asked for a solid commitment on WHEN the show would end. That way they know how much to advance the plot each week so that it eventually has an ENDING.

And a purpose.

Some of the "exposition" DOES have a purpose. Some of it is just FILLER. What I'm saying is that it seems the longer I watch, the more it seems like I'm seeing "filler" instead of informatiion that actually advances the plot toward an ultimate conclusion.

In "regular" television primetime drama, this isn't normally a problem. Every show has a beginning, a middle, and an end -- though there may be some "exposition" that continues from week to week and year to year.

"Lost" needs to balance the exposition and plot development more equally, in my opinion. As a regular watcher, I am free to hope that things WILL become more balanced so that my frustration levels will decrease and I can begin to enjoy the show again. I am certainly free to express my disappointment.

I do not expect all of the LOST audience to share my disappointment.

But some do.
Maggers   02-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Lisa Wrote:Me too. Big Grin But not with the Losties!!

No, with the old GU'er gang! That would be hilarious all over again.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

fpw   02-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Auskar Wrote:The writers of the show get frustrated, too. That's why the writers of LOST asked for a solid commitment on WHEN the show would end. That way they know how much to advance the plot each week so that it eventually has an ENDING.

[SIZE="3"]That's the only gripe I have about FTL Newsfeed. Four times a year we'd go into the studio and shoot 13 weeks' worth of feeds at a time. A few days after finishing a taping session in the fall of '96 we were informed that the Sci-Fi Channel was diverting our budget into original movies.

Okay, fine. We knew it wouldn't last forever; we had a 4-1/2 year run (somewhere between 1100 and 1200 spots), respectable by any standard. But couldn't they have told us a few months in advance?

Matt and I kept multiple story arcs running at all times - some long, some short. As we were closing one we'd be setting the stage for another. Had we known we were being cancelled we wouldn't have introduced new arcs in that last batch, but used the time to conclude those we had running.

Very frustrating (for me, at least) that the series has no sense of closure. But that's TV.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Don B   02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Auskar Wrote:Exposition in drama is that part of the story that provides background about the motivations, conflicts, setting, major characters and so forth. I like exposition (especially about characters), provided it is also in a PLOT that moves along.

That's sort of why I keep sticking with "Lost."

At the same time, "plot" is essential. When the plot does not progress, viewers become frustrated -- no matter how great the exposition may be. Most often these types of shows get cancelled (like "Daybreak," for example), at least prime-time shows. Sometimes these "expostion" dramas may be a HIT for awhile BEFORE they get cancelled, like "Twin Peaks." However, even Twin Peaks focused too much on "expostion" and not enough on plot, and it eventually got cancelled, too.

The writers of the show get frustrated, too. That's why the writers of LOST asked for a solid commitment on WHEN the show would end. That way they know how much to advance the plot each week so that it eventually has an ENDING.

And a purpose.

Some of the "exposition" DOES have a purpose. Some of it is just FILLER. What I'm saying is that it seems the longer I watch, the more it seems like I'm seeing "filler" instead of informatiion that actually advances the plot toward an ultimate conclusion.

In "regular" television primetime drama, this isn't normally a problem. Every show has a beginning, a middle, and an end -- though there may be some "exposition" that continues from week to week and year to year.

"Lost" needs to balance the exposition and plot development more equally, in my opinion. As a regular watcher, I am free to hope that things WILL become more balanced so that my frustration levels will decrease and I can begin to enjoy the show again. I am certainly free to express my disappointment.

I do not expect all of the LOST audience to share my disappointment.

But some do.

Well said.
Maggers   03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm just not getting enough of our favorite characters. I know the last episode was devoted to Hurly, and we all love Hurly. But didn't the flashbacks used to be shorter, with more happening in real time?

At any rate, I want to see more of Locke, Sayed, Jin and Sun, and all the other regulars from season 1.

I'd like to see the action move FORWARD. It feels as if we're going nowhere fast.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (44):    1 8 9 10 11 12 44