Pages (21):    1 4 5 6 7 8 21   
Maggers   09-20-2007, 11:37 PM
MINOR SPOILERS FOR DEXTER IN THE DARK....

I finished DEXTER IN THE DARK. It's laugh out loud funny in spots and has none of the horror of DEXTER #2. It does have lots of internal, psychological goings on, which I absolutely love, and a smattering of the supernatural!!

Go for it, gang, you'll enjoy it. Now I can't wait for DEXTER #4.
This post was last modified: 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Sam   09-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Just finished watching season 1 on dvd. I hadn't heard of this show till I saw it in the video store. Also, I haven't read the books so I can't compare. The show is great so I'm sure the books are even better, as usual. I was only disappointed by one thing - I figured out who the Ice Truck Killer was too easily. They could've hidden that better. I won't say how or when so as not to spoil it for any one who hasn't seen it thus far. As for his origins, I certainly didn't see that coming. A great show. I'm definitely a fan!!

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Auskar   09-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Sam Wrote:Just finished watching season 1 on dvd. I hadn't heard of this show till I saw it in the video store. Also, I haven't read the books so I can't compare. The show is great so I'm sure the books are even better, as usual. I was only disappointed by one thing - I figured out who the Ice Truck Killer was too easily. They could've hidden that better. I won't say how or when so as not to spoil it for any one who hasn't seen it thus far. As for his origins, I certainly didn't see that coming. A great show. I'm definitely a fan!!
Season two starts in just over a week.

I've read the first two books and truthfully, the series is better than the books. The books are good, but the series does not match the books and I think they do a great job. Maybe it's only because I saw the series before I read the books.

I think everyone figured out who the ice truck killer was pretty easily, in the series.
Maggers   09-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Sam Wrote:Just finished watching season 1 on dvd. I hadn't heard of this show till I saw it in the video store. Also, I haven't read the books so I can't compare. The show is great so I'm sure the books are even better, as usual. I was only disappointed by one thing - I figured out who the Ice Truck Killer was too easily. They could've hidden that better. I won't say how or when so as not to spoil it for any one who hasn't seen it thus far. As for his origins, I certainly didn't see that coming. A great show. I'm definitely a fan!!

Both the books and the show are terrific. They deal with Dexter, in all his charmingly sociopathic glory, in different ways. I like them both, because they come at the subject from different angles.

In the books, you are with Dexter, in his head. He narrates and his voice is witty, sardonic, insightful, illuminating and hysterical. The show can't quite do that. Addtionally, even though it's cable, they cannot show what can be created in the books. Book 2 has scenes that I will carry in my head forever, and with these particular scenes, that's not a good thing. I sort of wish I could erase them from my brain because they are some of the most painful visions I've encountered.

The TV series does not follow the books exactly. It's a perfect adaptation, taking what they can use, manipulating what they cannot into something that works perfectly on the TV screen, yet keeping the character of Dexter as dark and light and complex and compelling as he is in the books.

DEXTER is a win-win situation. Both the TV show and the books are separate and equal. They both work wonderfully.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   10-14-2007, 11:00 PM
OK, I have to say it for the record. The DEXTER TV series is superior to the books. I am thrilled with the show and the bold, brazen direction it is taking. I love the way they enhanced story lines from the books and the brand new story lines they created for the series. Masterful.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

law dawg   10-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Maggers Wrote:OK, I have to say it for the record. The DEXTER TV series is superior to the books. I am thrilled with the show and the bold, brazen direction it is taking. I love the way they enhanced story lines from the books and the brand new story lines they created for the series. Masterful.
Maggers, are you crossing over to the Dark Side? Wink

I've yet to see Season 2 so I can only comment on Season 1, but I liked the book better than Season 1, if only just.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Maggers   10-14-2007, 11:23 PM
law dawg Wrote:Maggers, are you crossing over to the Dark Side? Wink

I've yet to see Season 2 so I can only comment on Season 1, but I liked the book better than Season 1, if only just.

I know, I also liked the books better than the TV series during Season 1. But Season 2 is going in a different direction, and it's EXCITING! LD, you've got to catch up with Season 2 of DEXTER. Then, you'll come join me on the dark side. :eek: Wink

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Auskar   10-15-2007, 12:04 AM
law dawg Wrote:I've yet to see Season 2 so I can only comment on Season 1, but I liked the book better than Season 1, if only just.
Season 2 teaser....

Sort of a SPOILER, but I consider it just a TEASER...

Miami has a newly discovered serial killer, far more accomplished than the Ice Truck Killer. They've discovered the hidden bodies. Lots and lots and lots of dismembered bodies. The killer has been operating in Miami for a very very long long time, and the cops don't know who it is.

But...

...Dexter knows..
(excellent episode tonight, by the way).
This post was last modified: 10-15-2007, 02:04 AM by Auskar.
Noelie   10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Can I just say again, I love Doakes? He makes me laugh so damn hard. Big Grin

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Maggers   10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Noelie Wrote:Can I just say again, I love Doakes? He makes me laugh so damn hard. Big Grin

Noelie, have you read the 3rd DEXTER book yet?

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (21):    1 4 5 6 7 8 21