Pages (21):    1 2 3 4 5 6 21   
Noelie   03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
law dawg Wrote:Miss Maggers,

Have you seen the Showtime show yet? How does it compare, if so?

I'll step in and offer my opinion (hope you don't mind Smile ).

The series on Showtime is excellent. The first season dealt solely with the Ice Truck Killer from the first book and I suspect each season will deal with one killer/book. Trying not to spoiler: there are things that happened in the series that were not in the book, and there are things that happened in the book that were not in the series. It gets a little confusing at times trying to keep which happened where straight in your head (if that is the type of thing that matters to you).

The entire cast is spot on, in my opinion. Love, love, love Jennifer Carpenter as Deb and Julie Benz as Rita.

But the crowning jewel of this series is Michael C. Hall as Dexter. I read an interview with Jeff Lindsay where he said that Michael C. Hall inhabits Dexter to such a degree that he could actually see himself calling Michael C. Hall and asking him, "What would Dexter do in this situation?" If that's not a glowing endorsement, I don't know what is. I just can't say enough good about him in this series. Big Grin

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
law dawg   03-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Noelie Wrote:I'll step in and offer my opinion (hope you don't mind Smile ).
Not at all!

Quote:The series on Showtime is excellent. The first season dealt solely with the Ice Truck Killer from the first book and I suspect each season will deal with one killer/book. Trying not to spoiler: there are things that happened in the series that were not in the book, and there are things that happened in the book that were not in the series. It gets a little confusing at times trying to keep which happened where straight in your head (if that is the type of thing that matters to you).
Ah. It sounds like what the Sci-Fi channel is doing with Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files. Similar to the books, but a lot of differences as well. Excellent...

Quote:The entire cast is spot on, in my opinion. Love, love, love Jennifer Carpenter as Deb and Julie Benz as Rita.

But the crowning jewel of this series is Michael C. Hall as Dexter. I read an interview with Jeff Lindsay where he said that Michael C. Hall inhabits Dexter to such a degree that he could actually see himself calling Michael C. Hall and asking him, "What would Dexter do in this situation?" If that's not a glowing endorsement, I don't know what is. I just can't say enough good about him in this series. Big Grin
Do you know if the first season is out on DVD yet?

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Noelie   03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
law dawg Wrote:Do you know if the first season is out on DVD yet?

It isn't, as far as I know. I did some poking around online the other day and didn't find a release date or anything. I should have DVR'd the whole season. :\

EWMAN, Jr.
Maggers   04-15-2007, 07:05 PM
I ordered the Showtime channel just so I could get DEXTER (also to see THE TUDORS, though that series is good but not great).

I watched 6 episodes, which is all my Showtime On Demand has available. I understand there are 12 episodes in the first season. Halfway through, and I am crazy for this show.

I think they've done a very good job of translating the books to the series. Using both the first and second DEXTER books as source, the series' writers have craftily worked the unworkable into the series. Very clever. There are elements in the second book that would be unbearable on screen, but they've worked those elements into the series in a tolerable fashion. It works, too.

At any rate, I'm seeing in the series both a combination of the two DEXTER novels and an expansion on them. All of it works, thanks to the writers and thanks to Michael C. Hall. As Noelie said, he nails Dexter. He's brilliant and lovable and twisted. What a great character.

One big difference between series and books is Doakes. There's nothing likable about Doakes in the books, and he's a huge threat to Dexter. I'm halfway through the first season, and I haven't seen that horribly threatening side of Doakes. The Doakes of the series is made human and approachable, so even though he is a grouch, he's really nothing like the Doakes of the books. But perhaps that will change in the next 6 episodes which I haven't seen yet.

In fact, there is much in the series that is not in the books, and it works surprisingly well. The writing is great, and the manner in which they are fleshing out the characters and the stories is terrific. I'm looking forward to more Dexter, both on TV and in bookstores.
This post was last modified: 04-16-2007, 01:54 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Auskar   04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
The series is great. I read the books AFTER watching the series BECAUSE I liked the series so much. They ARE different, true -- but in the details, not in attitude. I think maybe one should refrain from giving away so many plot details here -- because they may crop up in season two which should be on Showtime late this year.

Now try telling your friends that one of your favorite television shows is about a serial killer, and when they go, "Say what?" -- having to explain it.

It is SUCH a good show. Better than the books, in my opinion.
Kenji   04-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Oh, I can't wait for this series to come to cable channel!

I read "Darkly Dreaming Dexter", and it was pretty good.
Noelie   04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm so glad that you're finally getting to watch it, Maggers. Big Grin

I agree, Doakes is different, but oh my, does he crack me up. "You creep me out, you know that?" Dexter, "Yeah, I know. Sorry about that." LOL

I like the way they handle the violence on the series. It's there, but it's never too much to look at. Very well done.

EWMAN, Jr.
Maggers   04-29-2007, 03:57 AM
I finished the first season of DEXTER. What a show! I was so moved in the last episode when Dexter says goodbye to Rudy. That was an incredible scene. It was handled so well and went sooooo deep.

And Doakes! In the beginning, I didn't like the casting for Doakes. I had someone else in mind who I thought would have been better. Well, I'm loving Doakes now. He's grown on me. The final scene of the first season has Doakes sitting in his car trailing Dexter, which sets up the next season very well.

I'm curious to see what they will do in the second season, where they will take the story. The more heinous aspects of the second book were toned down and used in the first season. But the whole backstory of Doakes still remains to be mined. I'm sure it will be rich, as every part of this phenomenal show has been.

I don't think I've seen a better adaptation of a novel or series of novels to the small screen. The DEXTER novels are dark, very dark. The TV series is dark, too, but just dark enough. I'm on pins and needles as I watch, even though I know the general outcome. The show opens and enhances Dexter's world, and it's done wonderfully well.

Can't wait till Season 2, October, right? That's seems a long way off.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Dave F   04-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Kenji Wrote:Oh, I can't wait for this series to come to cable channel!

I read "Darkly Dreaming Dexter", and it was pretty good.

Same here Kenji - any Brits know whether this has been picked up by a UK station yet?

The artist formally known as Britfan
Auskar   04-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Maggers Wrote:I don't think I've seen a better adaptation of a novel or series of novels to the small screen. The DEXTER novels are dark, very dark. The TV series is dark, too, but just dark enough. I'm on pins and needles as I watch, even though I know the general outcome. The show opens and enhances Dexter's world, and it's done wonderfully well.
That's pretty much how I felt. At first, I wasn't interested in watching it because the main character was a serial killer, after all. Then I watched the first episode on "in demand" for some reason and I was hooked. I was fascinated by how he explained that he had to "fake" being normal and all the effort that went into it. I'm looking forward to October.

Pages (21):    1 2 3 4 5 6 21