Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Pleiades   06-23-2006, 10:48 PM
As tie-ins go, I'd like to see a connection between The Keep and Conspiracies. Glaeken feels Rasalom awakening and remembers the close call in 1908(? have to check the date) when he had to go to America and stop Tessla's experiments. Had Tessla finished, the hole he opened would've freed Rasalom from the Keep.

Just a thought.

You really only need three things: WD-40, Duct Tape, and a pointy stick. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40. If it moves and isn't supposed to, use the Duct Tape. If you want it to move and it doesn't want to, use the pointy stick. The rest of life is easy.
cobalt   06-23-2006, 11:10 PM
KRW Wrote:Better yet, what if the first sword had shattered like the second did in "The Keep? We know it only takes a small piece to forge a new one. Know suppose a small piece had been discovered, but instead of the "little folk" (the ones that knew how to remake the sword for Glaeken) getting this material and forging the sword, it was an old Japanese sword maker. He could have folded the sword two thousand times and tempered it, not knowing the true power the material held, but knowing when he was done, that it was speciel. He probably would have used humans to cool the blade after forging it (the human body temperature is perfect for that). Then the blade could never be sheathed after it had been drawn unless it had drawn blood.

Ken
Ken..............it just hit me...........like a ton of bricks.............the story of "The Tenents"..................in "The Barrens and Others"..........duh! The light finally reached that spot in my brain! Kind of slow huh? :p

EWMAN
Alan   06-24-2006, 02:34 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:I always wondered whether Jack's father had an episode with the Otherness during his war years. Maybe he called it something else. Any ideas?

I know in Gateways I was hoping that his dad would tell the story about the time he and the Men in Black (Insert colorful narrative here).
Dave   05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Didn't I have somewhere that it was forged from metal that fell from the sky?[/SIZE]
Resurrecting this as I'm re-reading it. If you are referring to the Masamune blade, Paul, then no, you say it was fashioned from another sword given to Masamune centuries ago by a wandering gaijin. "The original had been a very special sword that Masamune had hammered and folded and reshaped into its present form."

But I've spotted another reference to the AC, The Keep in particular. Not sure if I noticed it before, but in light of By The Sword figured it was worth mentioning now Wink

Spoiler for Black Wind...
[SPOILER]In the year 1941, June, in Tokyo, Hiroki visits Shimazu, and Shimazu thinks back to May when the Seers had reported a disturbance in the Face (Star Wars much? Big Grin), a sense that something cataclysmic was about to happen. But the disturbance calmed and nothing else had been reported.

May 1941, this is clearly the events of The Keep.[/SPOILER]

Love these connections Smile

Cheers

Dave
fpw   05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Dave Wrote:Love these connections Smile
[SIZE="3"] As do I. Just wish I could remember them. That's why we need that Compendium.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Paul R   05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"] As do I. Just wish I could remember them. That's why we need that Compendium.[/SIZE]

It does make me smile to imagine FPW checking his own compendium to make sure he has his own connections right!Big Grin

"I handed in the new RJ novel with the
working title, BY THE SWORD. David says the sales force loved the title at the
pre Turkey-Day sales meeting, so that's what it will be. That means Paul Ramplin
gets a credit line in the acknowledgments.
"
mkmfpwfan   05-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Wink At the rate that FPW is going with these connections, he is going to need a supercomputer at NASA to keep up with them all. I am thinking of just keeping my own little spreadsheet just to keep up with the tiny bit that I know. lol Keri
Wapitikev   05-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Dave Wrote:Resurrecting this as I'm re-reading it. If you are referring to the Masamune blade, Paul, then no, you say it was fashioned from another sword given to Masamune centuries ago by a wandering gaijin. "The original had been a very special sword that Masamune had hammered and folded and reshaped into its present form."

But I've spotted another reference to the AC, The Keep in particular. Not sure if I noticed it before, but in light of By The Sword figured it was worth mentioning now Wink

Spoiler for Black Wind...
[SPOILER]In the year 1941, June, in Tokyo, Hiroki visits Shimazu, and Shimazu thinks back to May when the Seers had reported a disturbance in the Face (Star Wars much? Big Grin), a sense that something cataclysmic was about to happen. But the disturbance calmed and nothing else had been reported.

May 1941, this is clearly the events of The Keep.[/SPOILER]

Love these connections Smile

Cheers

Dave

I've checked Demonsong and there is no reference to the origin of Glaeken's sword, therein.

Maybe FPW was sleepy and was channelling Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Smile

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Miskatonic & Gin   05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Pleiades Wrote:As tie-ins go, I'd like to see a connection between The Keep and Conspiracies. Glaeken feels Rasalom awakening and remembers the close call in 1908(? have to check the date) when he had to go to America and stop Tessla's experiments. Had Tessla finished, the hole he opened would've freed Rasalom from the Keep.

Just a thought.

Would it have? Sure, it would have opened a door to the Otherness but that wouldn't have freed Sara Lom. He was imprisioned by the plethora of hilts covering the walls of the Keep and wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

That being said I really dig your idea. A short story of Glaeken and Tesla would be an absolutely killer read. BTW I'll always think of David Bowie whenever I think of Tesla from now on.

Cthulhu for President!

Why vote for a lesser evil? I can think of none better than the great old one, who should return from his slumber to take over the U.S. government and make this country a whole hell of a lot better as the leader of our executive branch. Or destroy it and drive everyone insane, kill us all, or something really nasty! Remember, Cthulhu for President, why vote for the lesser of two evils? Wink
Libby   05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:Would it have? Sure, it would have opened a door to the Otherness but that wouldn't have freed Sara Lom. He was imprisioned by the plethora of hilts covering the walls of the Keep and wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

That being said I really dig your idea. A short story of Glaeken and Tesla would be an absolutely killer read. BTW I'll always think of David Bowie whenever I think of Tesla from now on.

If the hole had opened, the otherness wouldn't have needed the adversary anymore, would they? BTW, I love "Sara Lom". A brillent name.Big Grin

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6