Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
Maggers   07-11-2005, 04:15 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:This is the only Batman movie I've seen but I liked it. Are the other Batman movies like this one?
There are other Batman movies, but IMO, they are too jokey. "Batman Begins" is dark, serious and has a much more substantial feel to it.

Quote:...Christian Bale was really convincing....Anyone see Bale in 'Equilibruim'? A friend showed it to me before we went to see him as Batman. That's a very cool movie, by the way. Beats all the Matrixes in my opinion.

Ditto on Equilibrium. He was great. Have you seen young Christian Bale in "Empire of the Sun?" A fabulous Spielberg movie, Bale steals the show, and he's only 13 years old. Terrific!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   07-11-2005, 05:05 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:This is the only Batman movie I've seen but I liked it. Are the other Batman movies like this one?

I've always liked Batman more than the other superheroes out there, because he's just human, with no supernatural powers, but can still take people down. And especially because he uses cool technological gizmos. Materials with memory, all the way! Big Grin

For some reason, I also really liked the actor who played the Scarecrow guy; he's so creepy! I didn't find Katie that annoying, but Christian Bale was really convincing.

Anyone see Bale in 'Equilibruim'? A friend showed it to me before we went to see him as Batman. That's a very cool movie, by the way. Beats all the Matrixes in my opinion.
I would definitely recomment seeing the original Batman from 1989 with Keaton and Nicholson. Whether or not you like it more than the current movie, you will probably enjoy it. The others are....... meh - good and bad points.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Anders Monsen   07-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Late to the thread, but only saw the movie for the first time yesterday. Although Keaton is my favorite Batman, both the movies in which he starred were terrible, dragged down by too many big Hollywood names in silly costumes. That said, BATMAN BEGINS is the best Batman movie ever, though still had silly moments (Gordon's "I gotta get me one of those.") The twist that Neeson was Ras Al Ghul caught me by surprise, though I did figure we'd see him reappear in the movie.

The best Batman graphic novel I've read is The Dark Knight Returns, though I believe the movie drew a lot from Batman Year One. All in all, very happy with this movie, but I think sequels will suffer from internal and external rot.
Scott Miller   07-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Finally got to see the Dark Knight in action last night; boy was it worth the wait. By far the best film version, IMO. Solid acting, good writing, and great visuals all come together to create the ultimate Batman.

One thing that is starting to fray my nerves a bit are the ultra close up, lighning fast cuts that seem part and parcel to most fight scenes these days. I realize that one man taking on many would be confusing and this technique is meant to illustrate such confusion, but that doesn't I want to be confused as to whose ass is getting kicked up there on the big screen.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
t4terrific   07-19-2005, 09:53 PM
dejo Wrote:Okay, I saw Batman Begins for the second time today. It was just as great (except for the surround sound cutting out frequently near the beginning of the movie; thank God it was fixed). But I noticed again that when Christian Bale is doing his Bruce Wayne voice (complete with American accent; Bale is Welsh-born and "normally" has a British accent), it sounds awfully familiar. As if there is some other actor whose voice sounds very similar. Has anyone else noticed this too and, if so, have any ideas who that might be? I just can't place it and I don't want it driving me batty (pun intended).

I had the exact same feeling! I never placed it. I thought, at first, that I was just remembering some of his other work, but I've only seen the dragon movie with McConnawhatever. I can't recall who it reminded me of.
Annice Burdeos   07-21-2005, 09:45 PM
CANADIANRJFAN Wrote:Christian Bale has been quoted as saying that he 'looks forward to moving on to the next level' after has role as Batman .......

Watch for Micheal Keaton in 'Herbie Fully Loaded'. Big Grin

It is my understanding that Bale, Caine and Freeman have already signed to do the next film
Nolan will helm another while awaiting Goyer to translate what's in his head to paper . Goyer is currently involved with another project as are Caine, I believe , as is Freeman, leaving Bale to engage his attention elsewhere........
The Mad American   07-23-2005, 10:32 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:........I also really liked the actor who played the Scarecrow guy; he's so creepy!

It just hit me today who the actor that plays Doctor Crane and Scarecrow is and where I have seen him before. His name is I believe Cillian Murphy, an Irish actor who up until Batman Begins biggest role was the main character in "28 days later". Took me so long because in 28 days later he has a shaved head and a british accent, in the batman movie he has an American accent, in real life he is Irish so I would make the huge leaping assumption he has an Irish accent. Big Grin

Btw, if you haven't seen 28 days later it gets a very high recommendation from me. A different take on the end of the world/Zombie movie.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Kenji   07-24-2005, 05:04 AM
The Mad American Wrote:It just hit me today who the actor that plays Doctor Crane and Scarecrow is and where I have seen him before. His name is I believe Cillian Murphy, an Irish actor who up until Batman Begins biggest role was the main character in "28 days later". Took me so long because in 28 days later he has a shaved head and a british accent, in the batman movie he has an American accent, in real life he is Irish so I would make the huge leaping assumption he has an Irish accent. Big Grin

Btw, if you haven't seen 28 days later it gets a very high recommendation from me. A different take on the end of the world/Zombie movie.

I like 28 days later, too!

The aggressive zombies were horrible. But that movie's finale was wonderful.
t4terrific   07-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Kenji Wrote:I like 28 days later, too!

28 Days Leter was awesome. I saw it at the theater 3 times and bought the dvd on the 1st day it was available. TERRIFIC!!
The Mad American   07-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Kenji Wrote:I like 28 days later, too!

Are you talking about the happy ending that was the one used in the theater release of the movie?

It was actually my only bone of contention with the movie. On the DVD there are two alternative endings, one filmed and one just story boards and someone doing a voice over that was never filmed. I would have prefered either of the alternative endings to the one used in the movies release.

The movie was so nihilistic and then to have that happy ending....bleh, didn't sit well with me.

But that being said, I love that movie and think it was one of the best horror movies released in recent years.

28 days later Spoiler below...........

What I thougt was great about this film was first, the irony that the do gooder animal activists release the "plague" that destroys mankind.

And second, towards the end when the main character comes back to rescue the girls from the soldiers how he crosses over into what is as bad or worse then the "zombies" when he justs lets his aggression loose and freaking thrashes the soldiers, especially the one with the thumbs and the eyes....ouch. Showing I think that man has the nature to be what the horrific "zombies" were already in them.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7