Pages (16):    1 2 3 4 5 16   
Blake   05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Lisa Wrote:1. THE MATRIX. That's right, I said THE MATRIX. A movie that managed to be boring, confusing, pretentious, corny, embarrassing, and highly fucking unlikely--all at the same time.

I actually agree on The Matrix. Overrated piece of crap. Well, maybe that's overstating it slightly, but I do think it's highly overrated. I didn't see what the fuss was all about. And I'm happy to say I've never even bought the DVD, not even for the effects. Smile And of course, the sequels were worse....

I actually love 2001: A Space Odyssey, but I agree that it's perhaps more enjoyable if you've read the book. Some things make a little more sense, though much is still deliberately left a complete mystery. I mostly liked Arthur C. Clarke's sequels, but if I had a complaint about them it would be that they take away a lot of the mysteriousness of the first one.

Re: Ridley Scott... Looking at that list of films, I'd say his newer stuff isn't as good as his older stuff, though I've still liked most of his work. He gets a pass for Alien and Blade Runner, two of the best films ever made, for my money. I also liked Black Rain, actually.

SE7EN: Hated this movie. It was exceptionally well done, but I found it far too disturbing.

GHOSTBUSTERS 2: I agree on it being the farthest fall for a sequel. A few funny moments, but nothing really worth repeat viewing.

SIN CITY: Okay, I know a lot of people were heaping praise on this film in another thread, but I hated it, largely for the same reason I hated SE7EN. I found it too disturbing, though it was very artistic and well done. Nowhere near my cup of tea, though, and I hope never to see it again.

POLTERGEIST: This scared me when I saw it as a kid, but a much more recent repeat viewing left me thinking it was just silly. (Pop culture trivia: That's Steven Spielberg's hand ripping the face off of the dummy.)

I can't think of any more at the moment. I think I tend to put the bad films out of my head!

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Blake   05-30-2005, 02:02 PM
Thought of another one:

THE MUMMY RETURNS. I can't begin to describe the loathing I felt for this film. I thought the first one was mildly entertaining, but certainly not great. It was a diversion. The sequel, though, had me so bored that I kept checking my watch as I was waiting for the awful thing to finally... be... over. Ugh. Awful, awful film.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Sam   05-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Maggers Wrote:I don’t care for weddings; I do like funerals.

There's a difference?? Big Grin

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Sam   05-30-2005, 02:18 PM
The Horse Whisperer - Just saying the name of..it..zzzzzzz
Musicals, such as "The Sound of Music", etc. unless it's comedy. that I can handle.
American Psycho - Only watched it once. Wasn't impressed.

BTW, Jimbo I once got the idea for a gag lawn ornament from 2001. Just picture a front lawn with a black, shiny monolith and 6-7 stuffed monkeys sitting around it in various positions (of course one would have a stick). If only I hadn't been renting that place... Big Grin

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Maggers   05-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Sam Wrote:There's a difference?? Big Grin

LOL! Like that, Sam.

Funerals celebrate the life of someone you cared for, respected or loved, otherwise why go. That's something real, something finite, something irrevocable. They are also sad; that goes without saying. But they are truly meaningful, once in a life time events.

Weddings, on the other hand, are not unique events. I'd much rather check back with the couple in say, 25 years, and see how they're doing. Throw a big party then. That I'd celebrate. But to pay so much money for what may last a year or less or a few years when it's purported to last a lifetime...well, that's just false advertising.

Call me jaded...what can I say.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

smithers52   05-30-2005, 03:25 PM
You guys listed some great choices and I can't come up with any more.

Wait, here's some more:

1941, The Terminal (ugh-I hated the romance between Hanks and Zeta-jones; it felt so forced)

I'll get flamed for saying this, but I feel Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade gets praised more than it deserves. Sure it's nice to see Ford and Connery work together and they do have nice chemistry but the film is an uninspired, derivitive (of Raiders) mess. It's almost a remake! And I mean that in a watered down, been there-done that way. And I'm sorry but the Nazis in this installment are rather boring villains. I especially didn't appreciate the way Marcus Brody and Sallah were made into bumbling fools. What happened to the finder of bad dates/best digger of Cairo or the wise father figure of Indy's? And that scene where it's revealed that Indy is named after the dog and Sallah laughs at him? Atrocious. :mad:

I'm not a fan of Dead Poet's Society ( a pretentious bore) or the Passion of the Christ.
This post was last modified: 05-30-2005, 05:25 PM by smithers52.
Lisa   05-30-2005, 06:03 PM
smithers52 Wrote:I'll get flamed for saying this, but I feel Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade gets praised more than it deserves. Sure it's nice to see Ford and Connery work together and they do have nice chemistry but the film is an uninspired, derivitive (of Raiders) mess. It's almost a remake! And I mean that in a watered down, been there-done that way. And I'm sorry but the Nazis in this installment are rather boring villains. I especially didn't appreciate the way Marcus Brody and Sallah were made into bumbling fools. What happened to the finder of bad dates/best digger of Cairo or the wise father figure of Indy's? And that scene where it's revealed that Indy is named after the dog and Sallah laughs at him? Atrocious. :mad:

I totally agree with everything you just said. Raiders is my favorite movie and I have never understood why people praised the third one so much. Maybe because it didn't have Short Round and Willie in it? Sort of a Jar Jar effect.

Lisa
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Lisa Wrote:My ex feels the same way about BARRY LYNDON and he's a huge Kubrick fan. I've seen parts of it but I'm not sure I've ever sat through the whole thing, so I couldn't add it to my list. Big Grin

Lisa

P.S. -- Jimbo, the movies don't count if they're universally recognized as bad. Wink So I don't think Ghostbusters 2 and Drop Dead Fred really count (I agree that they're terrible, though!).

Lisa, maybe it was just that Ryan O'Neal was miscast?
Maggers   05-30-2005, 06:38 PM
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

For the life of me, I could not understand all the fuss and the never ending ticket sales.

Monster's Ball.

Why'd she get that Oscar?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Maggers Wrote:My Big Fat Greek Wedding

For the life of me, I could not understand all the fuss and the never ending ticket sales.

Monster's Ball.

Why'd she get that Oscar?

Aw, Maggers...while I never saw it, I bet it was ro-MAN-tic. And that carries plenty big box-office weight. And ain't that what it's all about?
Pages (16):    1 2 3 4 5 16