Pages (2):    1 2
Mick C.   12-24-2004, 12:39 AM
What's become sort of a family tradition for us is to watch the Lord of the Ring movies at holiday time (maybe because they came out in December, and it got to be a habit.)

We usually watch one a night, but next year - when my boys will be old enough to watch without getting too scared by the Orcs - we may pick the Sunday before Christmas and watch all 3 in one day - extended DVD versions - Yeah baby!

I just found out today that according to one of the appendixes in the back of the series, Tolkien had the Fellowship setting out on their quest on December 25 - so LotR is, in fact, a kind of Christmas movie after all!

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
jimbow8   12-24-2004, 02:54 AM
Mick C. Wrote:What's become sort of a family tradition for us is to watch the Lord of the Ring movies at holiday time (maybe because they came out in December, and it got to be a habit.)

We usually watch one a night, but next year - when my boys will be old enough to watch without getting too scared by the Orcs - we may pick the Sunday before Christmas and watch all 3 in one day - extended DVD versions - Yeah baby!

I just found out today that according to one of the appendixes in the back of the series, Tolkien had the Fellowship setting out on their quest on December 25 - so LotR is, in fact, a kind of Christmas movie after all!
December 25, 3018(Third Age) is when the full Fellowship of nine first sets out from Rivendell. If you like little bits of detailed info like this, check out Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-Earth and also online The Encyclopedia of Arda. I can get lost in these for hours.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
L Murphy   12-29-2004, 08:56 PM
the Oracle Wrote:Well, even though it is set in Christmas time, Die Hard is not really "christmasy" and it ROCKS!

Also, Lethal Weapon (the first one) is during "the silly season." If you haven't seen the director's cut of this one, I HIGHLY recommend it. It darkens Rigg's character and explains a bit more about him.

Happy holidays to all!

-Rip

Last night I watched a movie called, "Barber," on EAction or Emystery, (I can't remember which). It starred Macolm McDowell and was set during the Christmas season in a little town in Alaska. Since it was about a serial killer, I immediately thought of this thread - a Christmas movie that isn't, "Christmasy."

The movie itself was OK, not great, but it does fit here.
Pages (2):    1 2