The Mad American   12-29-2004, 12:54 PM
I have been on a documentary kick for the last few months and have been getting tons of them from Netflix.

I watched "Genghis Blues" last, it is a ducumentary about bluesman Paul Pena (played guitar and piano for tons of the old blues masters and Jerry Garcia, but strangely enough is most known for writing the Steve Miller band hit "Jet Airliner")

Pena stumbles upon a Moscow radio station one night and the station is playing Tuvan Throatsingers. He is fascinated by this singing so he teaches himself how to do it and through a bunch of different circumstances he meets a Tuvan Throatsinger and decides to make a journey to Tuva to compete in a throatsinging competition. This documentary was actually very interesting to me, to see this very weird throatsinging (picture somone making the sounds of a Diggereedoo, and adding a harmonic sound over top of it at the same time, all with their voices alone), but was also kind of made me sad in a way. Pena is blind and has been since birth, he is very candid about some of the stuff that blind people have to deal with and how he never really felt like he belonged completely.

FYI, Tuva is northern Mongolia...kind of...depending on who you ask.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
The Mad American Wrote:I have been on a documentary kick for the last few months and have been getting tons of them from Netflix.

I watched "Genghis Blues" last, it is a ducumentary about bluesman Paul Pena (played guitar and piano for tons of the old blues masters and Jerry Garcia, but strangely enough is most known for writing the Steve Miller band hit "Jet Airliner")

Pena stumbles upon a Moscow radio station one night and the station is playing Tuvan Throatsingers. He is fascinated by this singing so he teaches himself how to do it and through a bunch of different circumstances he meets a Tuvan Throatsinger and decides to make a journey to Tuva to compete in a throatsinging competition. This documentary was actually very interesting to me, to see this very weird throatsinging (picture somone making the sounds of a Diggereedoo, and adding a harmonic sound over top of it at the same time, all with their voices alone), but was also kind of made me sad in a way. Pena is blind and has been since birth, he is very candid about some of the stuff that blind people have to deal with and how he never really felt like he belonged completely.

FYI, Tuva is northern Mongolia...kind of...depending on who you ask.

I've heard that music, Mad American, and still can't quite believe it comes from human throats. Thanks for the clue-in about GENGHIS BLUES--I'll check it out.
Sam   12-29-2004, 07:29 PM
I caught a documentary on VH1 about Warren Zevon titled Keep Me in Your Heart a few months ago. It was filmed after he found out he had terminal lung cancer, and also while he was recording what was to be his last album The Wind. I've never been a real fan of Zevon but that documentary was incredible. Very moving and the music was fantastic. You should definitely check it out.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
The Mad American   12-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Sam Wrote:I caught a documentary on VH1 about Warren Zevon titled Keep Me in Your Heart a few months ago. It was filmed after he found out he had terminal lung cancer, and also while he was recording what was to be his last album The Wind. I've never been a real fan of Zevon but that documentary was incredible. Very moving and the music was fantastic. You should definitely check it out.

Cool, thanks for the idea Sam. I always like a good recommend.