Pages (2):    1 2
fpw   06-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Sev Wrote:Paul's request got me thinking:
Nearly every book I buy (non-fiction or fiction) has a few mistakes in it. You know, you're racing along a page and suddenly a "buy" appears where there should be a "but"! It's like hitting a speed bump on the page.

Typos happen to everyone, but there used to be people whose career was to catch them.

Are there still professional proofreaders? Have they been replaced with spelling and grammer checkers by publishers trying to save money?

I know little to nothing about the publishing world, but I am seriously curious:
Do any professionals still specialize in proofreading?

Sev :dontknow:
They're called copyeditors. I've had Becky Maines for most of the Jack books. After the first couple, with witnessing her diligent way of checking facts as well as grammar, I insisted on her for all my books. Plus she's a New Yorker and spots some of my geographical errors.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
fpw   06-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Sev Wrote:Paul's request got me thinking:
Nearly every book I buy (non-fiction or fiction) has a few mistakes in it. You know, you're racing along a page and suddenly a "buy" appears where there should be a "but"! It's like hitting a speed bump on the page.

Typos happen to everyone, but there used to be people whose career was to catch them.

Are there still professional proofreaders? Have they been replaced with spelling and grammer checkers by publishers trying to save money?

I know little to nothing about the publishing world, but I am seriously curious:
Do any professionals still specialize in proofreading?

Sev :dontknow:
PS: Becky would have flagged "grammer" :hand:

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Sev   06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Aaigh! :yikes:

How embarrassing!!
pkrplr4116   07-08-2011, 03:31 AM
We're not that tough at the table; it's a lot of patience and discipline...but I have also taught English at Rutgers and Montclair State in the 90s.

Aprilis Wrote:thats what my aunt does for a living .. and i heard she is a highly sought after editor ... she does technical manuals and she is fierce to play scrabble with ... [COLOR="Red"]its like like playing poker with a professional ...
[/COLOR]
Smile
Aprilis   07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
pkrplr4116 Wrote:We're not that tough at the table; it's a lot of patience and discipline...but I have also taught English at Rutgers and Montclair State in the 90s.

you should play with my friends ... they are hardcore ... and ususally wasted when we play ... Smile

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Pages (2):    1 2