Portchy79   07-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

First of all, what a great forum! Been reading FPW since 1994, and thoroughly hooked!

A thought occured to me regarding the description of the q'q'r- they have 2 legs and four arms, and are ruthless in their destruction of non-Otherness. Is there a possible link to the Hindu god Shiva? Shiva is a goddess of death, and also has four arms... The Rakoshi were seen as hindu demons, and Rasalom is from a mountainous region from within China (if I remember the prologue to Nightworld correctly). If this is the Himalayas, then he would have been brought up near Bengal, the other side of the border.

Portchy79
nonquixote   07-11-2011, 08:02 AM
I believe that possible link was pointed out in one of the RJ novels, in discussing possible references to the Q'q'rs arising in other cultures. Can't remember specifically where it was mentioned however.

The Bold Type giveth, the Fine Print taketh away.
Tony H   07-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the forums Portchy, isn't it nice that you make your first post then we change everything on you? At least you don't have to relearn everything. Smile

WARNING: SLIGHT POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

As for your question, I don't recall Paul ever specifically saying the design was Hindu or meant to represent Shiva, the Goddess of destruction, it does make sense though in the way you word it. The design is very intentional though as it correlates to another symbol within the books. I am not sure if you have read "Fatal Error" or not yet, but many questions are answered in that novel which sets the stage for the climactic battle sure to rage in "The Dark at the End".

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Portchy79   07-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys! Was thrown a bit when I logged on just now, but variety is the spice of life and all that!

It did occur to me when the Q'q'r were first mentioned and when I read the updated version on The Tomb that there is a link to that part of the world. Yet to read Fatal Error (it's next on my list to buy from Amazon), so better hurry up and purchase it. The new version of Nightworld will certainly intrigue me- the current version is by far my favourite book of all time and was my first ever FPW book (purchased at a school fete for 20p, total bargain).
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Welcome, Portchy 79! Stick around for fun and frolic and maybe a brawl or three!
Tony H   07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Welcome, Portchy 79! Stick around for fun and frolic and maybe a brawl or three!

I assure you not everyone on the board ends up in a brawl, let alone three. We are a passionate people, some more than others but not everyone wants a throwdown. Smile

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Well, that's true, Tony. I was exaggerating for effect.
Tony H   07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, that's true, Tony. I was exaggerating for effect.

It was quite effective too Smile

Certified 100% Serious
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
[Little Blues stands center stage at the Old Met]

Thank you! Thank you! I can accept your applause only with my supporting cast! Please embrace-- Enrico Caruso! Geraldine Farrar! Emmy Destinn! Rosa Ponselle! All under the baton of Maestro Arturo Toscanini!

[Toscanini: "Who is this idiot? Get him offstage =now=!"]