Pages (23):    1 16 17 18 19 20 23   
Sigokat   02-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Blades Of Winter by G.T. Almasi kicks major ass(which I figure could work for you...given your rank and all). It tosses in a bit of everything and does it with aplomb. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0440423546

Scott, thanks I'll check out the link. I didn't realize that Out of the Silent Planet was part of C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, so I might end up getting the last two books as well. But I'll definitely check out Blades of Winter as well.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Alvin Fox   02-15-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm about to start the latest Dresden Files book. The series started off really slow, for me anyway. I didn't really get interested until about 6 books in. "But why did you keep going if you didn't enjoy the first 5?" If I was reading them that would be one thing. As it is I listen to the audiobooks and it's easier to shrug off a bad book if I'm listening while I was already doing something else. And the 12th book, Changes, was amazing. The whole series could have ended there so many threads got tied off. The payoffs in Changes were worth the not so good early books.

I've also been reading / listening to all of Simon R. Green's stuff in the past year and I'm down to Shadows Fall, the first book of his I read.
Sigokat   02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Thirteen for Dinner by Denis Daisy. So far its okay but I'm having a hard time enjoying any "new fiction" (with the exception of D&D) that I can enjoy because it all seems to written for a reading comprehension level of an 8th grader. do authors not write anymore? I just finished Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis and that was literary genius compared to all this new stuff.

My Two Lincolns

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
t4terrific   02-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm on a trip to San Antonio. I started Odd Hours. I'm not in love with the Odd series, but I enjoy it enough to come back to it now and then.
cobalt   02-18-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm on White Flag of the Zombie, #7. It's now the next generation of survivors in this post apocalytic world. I don't remember the title.....though. It was one of those $2.99 deals for the Kindle.

EWMAN
Medusa   02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
I have Book 1 of this series but I haven't read it yet. Is it a good series?

I'm reading The Becoming series by Jessica Meigs. Its also a zombie post apocalytic (can't help it I love them). Its a great series.

cobalt Wrote:I'm on White Flag of the Zombie, #7. It's now the next generation of survivors in this post apocalytic world. I don't remember the title.....though. It was one of those $2.99 deals for the Kindle.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
cobalt   02-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Medusa Wrote:I have Book 1 of this series but I haven't read it yet. Is it a good series?

Yes! I'm hooked on them. The one thing I've always liked about this series is that the people treat the zombie fluids as a contagion....the weapons are set aflame and burn red till it's all gone. I compare all others to this "standard" I guess that's the nurse talking. lol

Quote:I'm reading The Becoming series by Jessica Meigs. Its also a zombie post apocalytic (can't help it I love them). Its a great series.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

EWMAN
Medusa   02-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks! I know what I'm reading next!

The Becoming Brother in Arms, which is a short story prequel, is free on Amazon right now. http://www.amazon.com/The-Becoming-Broth...sica+meigs
cobalt Wrote:Yes! I'm hooked on them. The one thing I've always liked about this series is that the people treat the zombie fluids as a contagion....the weapons are set aflame and burn red till it's all gone. I compare all others to this "standard" I guess that's the nurse talking. lol

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
cobalt   02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the link.

I've gotten all the White Flag books on my Kindle thru Amazon. They have deals where you buy one and get one free sometimes.

EWMAN
Dave F   02-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Something truly different - if you want to get away from horror / fantasy / SF for a while

Just finished The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker - one mans story of his journey up an escalator. I laughed out loud at times, it's like la comedian who doesn't tell jokes - but talks about the ridiculousness of life.

Very unlike my usual read - but a pleasant diversion

The artist formally known as Britfan
Pages (23):    1 16 17 18 19 20 23