Pages (23):    1 14 15 16 17 18 23   
Medusa   01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I just started the new John Connolly book, Wrath of Angels. I've been waiting for this one to come out!

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
LolaRennt   01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I just started King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard. I've heard references to it but have never read the book. So I figured it was past time to check it out.

Why do I always do this to myself???
Brian   01-08-2013, 08:13 PM
My brother gave me Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I like history based fiction and this one has alternative explanations for some historical events. Not a bad read, thus far.

There is no wise man without fault
LolaRennt   01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
One of my friends, who teaches history, has a couple of kids in her class who actually believe that Abraham Lincoln killed vampires. She was extremely tempted not to correct them, since the kids are old enough to know the difference between fact and fiction. I suggested she assign them an extra credit project - research the impact that vampires have had on the building of America. Sources cannot be the book or the movie. Nor can they be any of the True Blood books.

I know that some of her kids don't come from the best homes but surely by 7th grade they should know what isn't real.

Why do I always do this to myself???
The Mad American   01-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Srem Wrote:I found this little gem at a Fred Meyers a while back and finally started on it just the other day. So far it's pretty creepy and mysterious.

Here's an excerpt taken from the back of the book:

The Passage:

An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world.

Dave Wrote:I just finished this book. A terrific read, but does some funky narrative jumps which may not be to everyones taste. At 900+ pages and part 1 of 3, it's a post-apocalyptic epic Smile

If you like/d The Passage you are going to love The Twelve, it is the second book of the trilogy and while I loved The Passage for the funky narrative and kind of low key approach to a lot of the writing The Twelve is better by leaps and bounds. Cronin creates a world and characters that make a seemingly tired genre come back to life. I can't wait for the third and final book of the trilogy.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

The Mad American   01-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Brian Wrote:My brother gave me Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I like history based fiction and this one has alternative explanations for some historical events. Not a bad read, thus far.

I had to read Seth Grahame-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for a class. We read it right after trudging through the original Pride and Prejudice. Thank all that is good that we had to. After reading Austen's book I was ready to take a serious break from reading. But the humor in the Grahame-Smith book made me at least laugh at it. Haven't read the Lincoln book yet.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Srem   01-09-2013, 01:36 AM
The Mad American Wrote:If you like/d The Passage you are going to love The Twelve, it is the second book of the trilogy and while I loved The Passage for the funky narrative and kind of low key approach to a lot of the writing The Twelve is better by leaps and bounds. Cronin creates a world and characters that make a seemingly tired genre come back to life. I can't wait for the third and final book of the trilogy.

Thanks for the heads-up guys; I probably would have never noticed this book to be part of a trilogy. It's fairly good writing for a new novelist. I'm already looking forward to reading books 2 & 3.

[SIZE=4]§ґφ[/SIZE]җ

Witchbreed Book of Dreams
Srem   01-09-2013, 01:41 AM
Sigokat Wrote:Started Koontz's 77 Shadow Street last night.

Was this any good? I've always liked Koontz's older stuff, but haven't read much of his newer works, although I really liked The Taking from 2004.

[SIZE=4]§ґφ[/SIZE]җ

Witchbreed Book of Dreams
Medusa   01-09-2013, 01:41 AM
I have a recommendation for a new read. Its an Amazon free book right now and is written by a friend of mine. Its a post apocalyptic but not monsters or zombies, just good old fashioned survival. I got this first free book (1 of the trilogy) and loved it so much I bought the next 2 and read them immediately. I also beta read for him for his newer stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Months-First-Born-...her+hunter

Hope you enjoy!

Veronica
Medusa   01-09-2013, 01:43 AM
I haven't read much by Koontz in a while. I agree The Taking was awesome and seemed more like his older stuff (which I love and have all of). The Odd Thomas Books started out good but I had a little trouble with the 3rd one so I stopped.
Srem Wrote:Was this any good? I've always liked Koontz's older stuff, but haven't read much of his newer works, although I really liked The Taking from 2004.

Veronica
Pages (23):    1 14 15 16 17 18 23