Pages (11):    1 7 8 9 10 11
Tall Tyrion   05-15-2012, 08:55 AM
I'm the same as Dave, having read all of the books as they came out, I've very satisfied with the series. If haven't ever been exposed, starting with the series is probably your best bet. I'm betting that you'll outpace it anyways by reading all the books. I have a cousin who had never read the books either and after seeing season one, she's already on the fourth book.

James Newman's novel The Wicked, first mass market printing available now!
http://shocktotem.com/
Dave   05-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Holy Wildfire, the last episode was good. 'Wish I'd seen it in a cinema' good. Obviously some scaling down had to happen from the book, I especially miss the chain, but all the key beats were there, with some added Hound versus Bronn.

Great stuff, can't wait to see the fallout in the last episode (with extended running time).
johntfs   06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
"Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"

Forget Obama, Romney and Paul. I want Tyrion Lannister for President.

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself. Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable." - H. L. Mencken
Dave618   06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
I missed this series when it premiered last year. A couple of weeks before season 2 began I decided to watch the first season in order on HBO On Demand. Now, I am not usually drawn to Sword and Sorcery type books or movies. As a kid I read some of the Conan books and some of Moorcock's Elric stuff. But as I got older and into my teenage years I began drifting to crime fiction more and more.

I have to say I'm impressed by the series. I ate up the first season very quickly and watched each new episode with anticipation. I like the fact it's a series for adults and doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. It's a fairly intelligently written show.

Can't speak to the quality of the actual novels, but I may download at least the first one just to see what it's like.

My favorite character is definitely Tyrion. I find the character fascinating and easily one of the most engaging characters to come from a TV series in quite a while. Dinklage definitely deserved his Emmy. The acting all around is excellent. Dinklage at one time was slated to play Mongo The Magnificent, the dwarf detective who keeps getting involved in very weird and sometimes supernatural cases, who was created by George C. Chesbro. I love that character as well and to me it seemed like a superb fit. But that project has been postponed indefinitely ... maybe the fact that Dinklage has more clout in Hollywood circles because of the popularity of Game of Thrones will push the Mongo project back into production.
Tall Tyrion   06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
If you like the series, you should love the books. The book is almost always better, and this series is no exception.

James Newman's novel The Wicked, first mass market printing available now!
http://shocktotem.com/
Dave618   06-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Tall Tyrion Wrote:If you like the series, you should love the books. The book is almost always better, and this series is no exception.

Tyrion, I agree; most of the times books are better than their film adaptations. Although there are some notable exceptions, such as: The Godfather, Jaws, Silence of the Lambs (arguable).
Pages (11):    1 7 8 9 10 11