Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
lexator222   07-23-2009, 09:31 PM
After getting my much coveted copy of "Ground Zero", I was shocked to see the special message that F. Paul Wilson put in the front. Allow me to transcribe it for you all:

You hold the pen-penultimate Repairman Jack novel.
That's right: I've decided to end the series with number fifteen (though Jack will make his final appearance in "Nightworld")

I've always said this would be a closed-end series, that I would not run Jack into the ground, that I had a big story to tell and would lower the curtain after telling it.

The end of that story draws nigh. (There's a highfalutin phrase.)
(End of author's note)

Now, here's where I have a problem with this. After "Nightworld" we need someone around to "pick up the pieces" and there's nobody better at survival than JACK! With all of the lawlessness and crime everywhere that is sure to be around, the whole blasted city would NEED Jack!
Plus, will the last several books, it has been made apparent that Jack is the "Chosen one" by the powers that be, so what happened in "Nightworld"? I mean, his brother, sister and father are dead because of some all powerful being decided that they would be a distraction to the chosen one, and now that's all thrown by the wayside?

F. Paul. I realise that it is hard to tell when you are going to run Jack into the ground, but I for one do not think that you could EVER run him like that. We, the readers, have faith in your writing skills, and you have always kept the novels fresh and different, and exciting. There is NOTHING to compare to them. Everyone that I have "Forced" to read the Jack novels, becomes addicted to them, and I have to tell you, some of the people that I have turned onto Jack come from the most varied groups out there! Not people you would expect to get crazy over a series of books. One woman said that she hadn't read anything like it since she was a girl, and insisted that I loan her EVERY Jack novel I had! Hey, I'm not THAT crazy (yet) Wink

But after that Rowlings woman killed the Potter series, and killed off half of Harry's friends and teachers in doing so, you just CAN'T stop the series now!!!
It just wouldn't be the same without Jack!

Lexator
This post was last modified: 07-23-2009, 09:33 PM by lexator222.
fpw   07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
I may do some early Jack novels between his arrival in NYC and THE TOMB -- meeting Abe and Julio and becoming the guy you meet in THE TOMB. But after NIGHTWORLD...no interest. Jack is the ghost in the machine and the machine is in ruins after NIGHTWORLD. I'd rather write about how he becomes that ghost.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   07-23-2009, 11:41 PM
fpw Wrote:I may do some early Jack novels between his arrival in NYC and THE TOMB -- meeting Abe and Julio and becoming the guy you meet in THE TOMB. But after NIGHTWORLD...no interest. Jack is the ghost in the machine and the machine is in ruins after NIGHTWORLD. I'd rather write about how he becomes that ghost.
I agree.

The post-NIGHTWORLD world is something I'm not interested in reading about.

The other ideas sound great, but I'm sure you have many other stories on other subjects swirling around in the back of your mind, and I'd like to see some of them come to print.

Ken V.
This post was last modified: 07-24-2009, 02:14 AM by Ken Valentine.
lexator222   07-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Well, I am truely sorry to hear that. Well, then, when you rewrite "Nightworld", make sure that you kill off Gia, and Abe, and finally make sure that Jack eats a bullet, that is the only way to kill off someone like that! Since you are so dead set in your decision, I think that my life would be better concentrating on other pursuits. I should just burn all of my R J books, since it is painfully clear that you will NOT allow any movies to be made (they should have started over 12 years ago) and it is futile to even think about the young Jack novels, they just don't have the same flavor as the R J series. Nothing lasts forever, but this is just a copout!

I'm outta here.

It's been......

Lex
Sigokat   07-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Can some spoiler tags be added to this thread??????

Not only are spoilers from Nightworld revealed but also Harry Potter. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Ken Valentine   07-24-2009, 02:21 AM
lexator222 Wrote:Well, I am truely sorry to hear that. Well, then, when you rewrite "Nightworld", make sure that you kill off Gia, and Abe, and finally make sure that Jack eats a bullet, that is the only way to kill off someone like that! Since you are so dead set in your decision, I think that my life would be better concentrating on other pursuits. I should just burn all of my R J books, since it is painfully clear that you will NOT allow any movies to be made (they should have started over 12 years ago) and it is futile to even think about the young Jack novels, they just don't have the same flavor as the R J series. Nothing lasts forever, but this is just a copout!

I'm outta here.

It's been......

Lex
If you're serious about the above, I have to ask where you have been.

Paul has said numerous times -- and for years -- that there will be no post-Nightworld novels.

It's something he just doesn't want to contemplate. And I don't blame him.

As for myself, I'm mildly surprised that the RJ series has gone on as long as it has. If it were me, I would have tired of writing it long ago.

Ken V.
KRW   07-24-2009, 02:35 AM
fpw Wrote:I may do some early Jack novels between his arrival in NYC and THE TOMB -- meeting Abe and Julio and becoming the guy you meet in THE TOMB. But after NIGHTWORLD...no interest. Jack is the ghost in the machine and the machine is in ruins after NIGHTWORLD. I'd rather write about how he becomes that ghost.

I always pictured the future after "Nightworld" as being "Masque", of course a bit further in the future. Especially since it includes the Kaze corp. and that would be long after Jack. If I know Jack, he gathered his forces after "Nightworld" and lived his life with as little influence in the world as possible. We'll call it retirement. He's definitely earned it.
KRW   07-24-2009, 02:40 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:If you're serious about the above, I have to ask where you have been.

Paul has said numerous times -- and for years -- that there will be no post-Nightworld novels.

It's something he just doesn't want to contemplate. And I don't blame him.

As for myself, I'm mildly surprised that the RJ series has gone on as long as it has. If it were me, I would have tired of writing it long ago.

Ken V.
Actually, becuase of how "Nightworld" ends, I consider it a tragedy. And I don't mean Jack.
Ken Valentine   07-24-2009, 02:51 AM
KRW Wrote:Actually, becuase of how "Nightworld" ends, I consider it a tragedy. And I don't mean Jack.
It is a tragedy, but not without a glimmer of hope.

Ken V.
KRW   07-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:It is a tragedy, but not without a glimmer of hope.

Ken V.

Spoiler....

I meant Glaeken.
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4