Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   03-11-2009, 09:08 AM
An amazing horror film. (I have to call it "horror" because of the vampire theme, but although there's blood and some violence, there's no gore.) The plot has large holes, but when you come down to it, this is a relationship film between a bullied 12-year old named Oskar and Eli, the strange girl in the next apartment who's not human. A Swedish production, filmed in the cold, white dead of winter, it's visually striking and the most original thing I've seen in a long time. Check out the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ckdZpYVn38

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
fpw Wrote:An amazing horror film. (I have to call it "horror" because of the vampire theme, but although there's blood and some violence, there's no gore.) The plot has large holes, but when you come down to it, this is a relationship film between a bullied 12-year old named Oskar and Eli, the strange girl in the next apartment who's not human. A Swedish production, filmed in the cold, white dead of winter, it's visually striking and the most original thing I've seen in a long time. Check out the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ckdZpYVn38

It's a haunting movie; so subtle and quiet, making the matter-of-fact violence that much more unsettling. Another case of a less-is-more approach outdoing the big budget by telling a better story. I too thought it was unique, but there were a couple of scenes that reminded me of Cronos, my favorite foreign horror film with this a close second. If you like your horror moody and thoughtful, then this is the ticket.

It's the first foreign film I've watched since I got my new 47' TV and man it sure made a difference when reading the subtitles.:beer:
This post was last modified: 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
DaveStrorm   03-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:It's the first foreign film I've watched since I got my new 47' TV and man it sure made a difference when reading the subtitles.:beer:

Man I'm so jealous! I'd love to have a 47 foot TV. :p Those subtitles have to be HUGE. Then again I'd have to sit outside to get the right viewing distance. :eek:
saynomore   03-12-2009, 12:09 AM
I must concur. This was a very poignant and thoughtful movie. I will be adding the dvd to my collection once I hit the right price on ebay.

Damn that Circuit City closure.

AC

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that Borders is selling off all cds and dvds at fifty percent off? What's up with that?
cobalt   03-12-2009, 12:14 AM
saynomore Wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Borders is selling off all cds and dvds at fifty percent off? What's up with that?

I was in Borders this past Sunday. I noticed the same thing. I asked that question. The salesman said that the store was going to concentrate on books and have only a limited DVD collection. I wonder what they're going to do with that empty second floor....it's huge!

EWMAN
ccosborne3   03-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Love the title.
Wapitikev   03-12-2009, 01:34 AM
DaveStrorm Wrote:Man I'm so jealous! I'd love to have a 47 foot TV. :p Those subtitles have to be HUGE. Then again I'd have to sit outside to get the right viewing distance. :eek:
DUDE! That puts my 15 foot screen to SHAME!.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Scott Miller   03-12-2009, 02:10 AM
DaveStrorm Wrote:Man I'm so jealous! I'd love to have a 47 foot TV. :p Those subtitles have to be HUGE. Then again I'd have to sit outside to get the right viewing distance. :eek:

I basically replaced my entire wall; the Wii guys are intimidating as hell!

Wapitikev Wrote:DUDE! That puts my 15 foot screen to SHAME!.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

As with all things about me, I just had to be able to say mine's bigger. :eek6:

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
BK Akitas   03-13-2009, 05:23 PM
just watched several trailers- where do I get this?

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
fpw   03-13-2009, 05:44 PM
BK Akitas Wrote:just watched several trailers- where do I get this?
I got it from Netflix

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Pages (2): 1 2