Kenji   05-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Today I saw Rain Fall "the movie". Based on the novel by Barry Eisler.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned about this film. Yeah, well, maybe famous actor is Gary Oldman only. Perhaps you don't know Kippei Shiina, Kyoko Hasegawa, Akira Emoto.

Actually, I couldn't see Kippei Shiina as John Rain. Shiina's acting was terrible. I don't admit he is John Rain. Gary Oldman was good. He was good for Willaim Holtzer.

But I liked story, of course. I like Barry Eisler's novel, Rain Fall. Barry Eisler lived in Japan, so he knows about Japan and cultures and language.

This is NOT like Jason Bourne movie. Sorry for action movie fan. There are No gun action scenes.
Tony H   05-04-2009, 01:46 PM
We haven't mentioned it because it has not hit theaters in the US yet. I have read the John Rain novels and still wish to see this to see how well it plays out on the big screen.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
law dawg   05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
AsMoral Wrote:We haven't mentioned it because it has not hit theaters in the US yet. I have read the John Rain novels and still wish to see this to see how well it plays out on the big screen.
Barry said there's no current distribution plans outside of Japan at this point.

From what I know, it's a significant departure from the novels. Obviously a lot of what happens in Rain is internal - how and why he does what he does. Stuff like that doesn't translate well to the screen a lot of the time.

Also, Barry had written a screenplay for them but they choose to go another direction and I believe the director (or producer?) wrote their own screenplay. The kind of things I believe FPW knows a thing or two about.

Anyway, Barry is amazed his book made it to a movie and the response that it, as well as his books, have gathered.

If he says the movie will make it Stateside I'll give a shout out.

BTW Kenji, Barry has moved back to Japan for at least a year.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Kenji   05-05-2009, 07:21 AM
AsMoral Wrote:We haven't mentioned it because it has not hit theaters in the US yet. I have read the John Rain novels and still wish to see this to see how well it plays out on the big screen.

law dawg Wrote:Barry said there's no current distribution plans outside of Japan at this point.

Oh....sorry. That's too bad.

law dawg Wrote:If he says the movie will make it Stateside I'll give a shout out.

Good. If you saw it, tell me your opinions about this movie. Smile

law dawg Wrote:BTW Kenji, Barry has moved back to Japan for at least a year.

I know. May 23, I'm going to his signing at bookstore in Tokyo!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFEsASEJj7M