Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
cobalt   06-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I love Black Wind, I'm sure you'll enjoy the read. Well worth it!

EWMAN
Kenji   06-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Brian Wrote:Black Wind would make an excellent movie. But Hollywood seems to be stuck on remaking a whole bunch of movies now. Here's an original story with historical and intriguing aspects. They'll ignore it. Rolleyes

I think Brian Singer is good for director.
Brian   06-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I'd like to see Spielberg do it. Aim high, LOL But if we're talking an era film, Spielberg's the guy. I like what he did with Schindler's List.

There is no wise man without fault
Kenji   06-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Brian Wrote:I'd like to see Spielberg do it. Aim high, LOL But if we're talking an era film, Spielberg's the guy. I like what he did with Schindler's List.

It's not "aim high", actually I think he can do it somehow. Smile
Brian   06-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Spielberg would do Black Wind justice. Who do we have to talk to in order to make this so? Big Grin

Ken Valentine   06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Brian Wrote:I'd like to see Spielberg do it. Aim high, LOL But if we're talking an era film, Spielberg's the guy. I like what he did with Schindler's List.
In Schindler's List, he never mentioned the fact that when Oscar Schindler got "his" people to Czechoslovakia, the first thing he did was to get guns for them. Spielberg is notoriously anti-gun -- although he has quite a collection himself. And Schindler and his accountant never agonized over the making of his list -- as is shown in the movie. The guy who actually made the "list" was Marcelle Goldberg (remember the Capo who was bribed with the gold watch?)

So, Goldberg actually made the "list," and those who got onto it had to buy their way onto the "list" -- and if you didn't have gold or jewels, you were off the "list" even if you actually WERE one of Schindler's "people."

After the war, Goldberg sneaked out of Europe and emmigrated to Argentina -- a rich man.

There are other deliberate innacuracies in that movie, but I think those will suffice for now.

At the end of the movie Amistad, Spielberg tells how Joseph Cinque went back to Africa, (which he did) but Spielberg neglects to mention that Cinque became a slaver trader himself.

One of the funniest of Spielbergs screw-ups is in the movie Minority Report. Toward the end of the movie, the Burgess character is presented with a commerative Smith & Wesson First Model rimfire pistol. He explains that this sort of thing was done for some Union Generals after the end of the "Civil" War. He goes on to say that this revolver has five gold-plated bullets (cartridges actually -- it's a five-shot revolver after all) and that each bullet represents a year that the War was fought.

The War began in April of 1861, and ended in April 1865.

Gee, that sounds more like FOUR years to me.

I despise Steven Spielberg!

His fantasy movies are not too bad, but he has a tendency to "revise" anything that has actual historical content.

If you saw the first Indiana Jones movie -- Raiders of the Lost Ark -- you may have noticed that it takes place in 1936, and the Germans are carrying Walther P-38's (which didn't go into production until 1938,) and Schmeisser MP-40's (which didn't go into production until 1940.) And during the shoot-out in Marions bar, Jones switches from a Smith & Wesson revolver to a Colt 1911 45, to a Browning Hi-Power, and back to the Smith & Wesson.

What a clown!

Ken V.
Brian   06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Agreed, technicals were wrong in lots of films. I blame that on poor historical and tech "experts". I just happen to like Spielberg's work. It's not like it will ever happen.

Ken Valentine   06-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Brian Wrote:Agreed, technicals were wrong in lots of films. I blame that on poor historical and tech "experts". I just happen to like Spielberg's work. It's not like it will ever happen.
Just because I don't like him, is no reason you can't like him.

I see him as a raging hypocrite. For example, his owning a large collection of guns, while simultaneously wanting to disarm the rest of us. (He is reputed to have said, "Gun laws are for THEM.")

I despise him, and had to give my reasons.

Ken V.
Brian   06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
There are all sorts one can admire their work, yet detest their politics and ways.
Take George Clooney for example. He's directed and acted. Some real turds for movies, yet some that I liked. I like him as an actor on screen. or behind the camera directing. What I can't stomach is his politics and rantings along those lines. Stick to acting, leave the politics to the other idiots. Just because he's "famous", one is to listen to him? No, I'd rather not.

Ken Valentine   06-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Brian Wrote:There are all sorts one can admire their work, yet detest their politics and ways.
Take George Clooney for example. He's directed and acted. Some real turds for movies, yet some that I liked. I like him as an actor on screen. or behind the camera directing. What I can't stomach is his politics and rantings along those lines. Stick to acting, leave the politics to the other idiots. Just because he's "famous", one is to listen to him? No, I'd rather not.
Can't argue with that!

Your right.

The problem (to me) is that there are a lot of people who will unquestioningly accept virtually anything that someone says -- if that someone happens to be famous.

And this is probably why I feel compelled to point out their lunacy and hypocracy whenever I find it.

Spielberg's E.T., and the dinosaur movies were pretty good, but when it comes to anything remotely historical, Spielberg rewrites history to suit his own particular prejudices.

And that, I can't tolerate.

Ken V.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6