Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6
JSWolf   05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
jmez87 Wrote:I would love to read this book but everyone is saying that the print is too small and there arent any copies in stores for me to see. Is the print really that bad?

I can't speak of the print edition, but you can go to Smashwords and buy it for only $2.99 for the eBook.
Dave618   05-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Just wanted to say I love this book. For some reason I thought I wouldn't like FPW's non-Jack stuff as much, and I mainly read Black Wind because it was part of The Secret History Of The World and I figured it might contain info I'd eventually need--but wow, this was one epic, heart-touching story that blew me away with it's sheer scope and imagination. The characters are all too-human and I identified with several of them. After reading this book, I immediately purchased all of FPW's available work for my Kindle--even the stuff that has nothing to do with The Adversary Cycle and The Secret History Of The World. Black Wind was the book, surprisingly enough, that cemented my opinion that FPW is brilliant and has one of the most wonderful imaginations I've ever come across in a writer. I've still got a slew of FPW's books yet to read but I can safely say he is taking a firm place next to my two other favorite writers: Donald E. Westlake/Richard Stark and John D. MacDonald.
jordanswiderski   04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I am just finishing this book. Simply amazing.
revrasputin   05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
I originally got into reading FPW because I had a somewhat fond memory of watching "The Keep" at night, on the mess deck of my step-father's DDG. The mess deck was dark, it smelled funny, the TV was small, and the various conversations going around were low, but the susurration added to the ambiance. When I saw the movie again a few years later, I realized I liked it. I saw The Keep paperback sometime after that, picked it up, realized that it was way better than the movie, and quickly read the entire Adversary cycle. I must have read the books at least two or three more times because The Tomb and especially Nightworld were so freakin' awesome. I picked up a used copy of Black Wind one day and after reading it, I was completely blown away. It became my favorite non-Adversary cycle FPW book and I had read a few other of his medical thrillers, which I liked, but did not have the same impact as Black Wind or the Adversary cycle. When I discovered that FPW was writing Repairman Jack books (I started with All the Rage and worked my way backwards and forwards from there) I immersed myself in the joy of the Adversary cycle once again. When I got to By the Sword, I thought, "Yes! Black Wind is back!" I'm currently re-reading the RPJ series and the Adversary cycle so I can read the expanded Nightworld for the first time. I re-read Black Wind last year and it was just as potent the second time around as it was the first. Black Wind is easily one of FPW's best works.
This post was last modified: 05-07-2013, 11:06 PM by revrasputin.
Jayrox_ca   11-30-2018, 05:47 AM
revrasputin you and I had a similar FPW experience. Black Wind is one of my favourites. I just read it a second time as I was working through Secret History. I really savoured it this time around. I am so impressed with the level of detail FPW put into this book. It shows his devotion to his craft. I recall he spent time in Hawaii and Japan while he was doing research, clearly it paid off. I am interested in WWII stories and I know Pearl Harbour is a very delicate topic for a lot of US citizens. FPW clearly has his own opinions on the subject that show through his fiction but I think it was handled deftly. I am a fan of Japanese culture and I feel this was also handled fairly from start to finish. Even knowing the final outcome you cheer both sides on. Books like this make you want to research the real-life characters to find out more. I found that was the case with Emperor Hirohito and Admiral Yamamoto and some of the US officers and such.

Great read!
fpw   12-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Glad you liked it.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6