Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6   
AUSTIN FAST ELK   07-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Just finished my required reading of Balck Wind. Now the long wait until November. I had a little trouble getting into the book but it turned out ok.
bones weep tedium   07-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Sounds like you hated it :confused:

Which character did you sympathise with the most; Frank or Matsuo? Did you not think that Black Wind was richer and more intricately plotted than the more recent RJ novels?

I really enjoyed Balck Wind Wink

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
The Karl   07-15-2008, 06:56 AM
I also recently finished re-reading Black Wind. I had borrowed a friend's paperback copy to read years ago, and lucked out on a hardcover copy when The Man came down to Atlanta in October for a signing. I consider it one of my favorite FPW books. I've always had an enjoyment of historic fiction, especially WWII stories (one of the reasons I liked Cryptonomicon as well).

I certainly emphasized with Frank, Matsuo, and Meiko. My Japanese language and culture studies helped in seeing the things from the point of the latter two more easily, as well as stories my mother told me about how she and her family lived in Japan while my grandfather was stationed there.

Now, the long (four months!) wait for By The Sword...
AUSTIN FAST ELK   07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I didn't hate it. It just isn't my favorite. Not every book can go at a pace like Harbingers or be as brutal as Midnight Mass.
t4terrific   04-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I just met fpw, and picked up the new paperback version of Black Wind. I had the first edition and the limited as well. I wanted the new paperback because of the cover. It looks so cool!

Black Wind is one of my favorite books. I'm glad it has been connected to the RJ series as well. I think all the links, between unrelated stories, is swell indeed.
This post was last modified: 04-26-2009, 10:36 AM by t4terrific.
Wapitikev   04-25-2009, 05:23 PM
AUSTIN FAST ELK Wrote:I didn't hate it. It just isn't my favorite. Not every book can go at a pace like Harbingers or be as brutal as Midnight Mass.
My sentiments exactly.

Despite this, as T4 mentions, making it part of the AC mythology is tres cool.

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Karithna   04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
You guys are lucky, I've never met FPW, but I've been reading his stuff for years. Maybe I can convince him to stop by? Black Wind is one of my all-time favorite books ever. I really like it and think it is very good. Did I say It was one of my all time favs?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
NickelobLight   04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I finally read it a couple of weeks ago.

Easily the most intricate and...human novel of FPW's I've read.

Well done Doc!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken

Let not thy will roar when thy power can but whisper. -Dr. Thomas Fuller (1654-1734), Gnomologia, 1732

[Image: dfb17bf94b00b1e2eb_5.jpg] [Image: s_logo_tampa.gif]
Manda_W   05-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Black Wind was a great read. I was so excited to see it turn up again. Some characters need to continue developing.
jmez87   05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I would love to read this book but everyone is saying that the print is too small and there arent any copies in stores for me to see. Is the print really that bad?
Pages (6): 1 2 3 4 5 6