Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5   
Libby   06-21-2008, 06:00 PM
What is your favorite old movie? I LOVE Some Like it Hot and the original Mr. Deeds Goes to Town.Smile

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
t4terrific   06-21-2008, 06:53 PM
How old? I love "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "My Darling Clementine". Not as old, I love "The Trouble With Harry", "True Grit", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", "Rear Window" and many more. I live among movies that were made before I was old enough to watch.
Libby   06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
t4terrific Wrote:How old? I love "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "My Darling Clementine". Not as old, I love "The Trouble With Harry", "True Grit", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", "Rear Window" and many more. I live among movies that were made before I was old enough to watch.

Arsenic and Old LAce is very good. I was thinking before 1980 as old movies, but I think of a lot of 80s movis as old, too. So does before 1980 work?

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Sigokat   06-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Philadelphia Story
Holiday
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
The Godfather
Amadeus (I know this was after 1980, but its still one of the greatest movies ever made)

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Kenji   06-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Great old movies?

One of them is definitely "It's a wonderful life". I like Frank Capra's movies. "It Happened One Night" and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" are also my favorite movies.

And, I like Frank Sinatra's films. Especially, his thriller movies; "The Manchurian Candidate" and "Suddenly" are great.

Others...

In the Heat of the Night
Elevator to the Gallows
Anatomy of a Murder
Gaslight
A Fistful of Dollars
To Kill a Mockingbird

etc,etc...
fpw   06-21-2008, 08:48 PM
[SIZE="3"]I'll name just one for now: Gunga Din.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Libby Wrote:Arsenic and Old LAce is very good. I was thinking before 1980 as old movies, but I think of a lot of 80s movis as old, too. So does before 1980 work?

80s movies are old? Hmm....I feel a generation gap.
Libby   06-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Kenji Wrote:80s movies are old? Hmm....I feel a generation gap.

Old for ME, there is a generation gap.Big Grin I like 80s movies a lot, actually. Example of big generation gap: I hated Tron, because the stoy line wasn't the best, and the special effects were so obvious and old fashioned.

DogWoman   06-21-2008, 09:47 PM
"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"M" (really old--Fritz Lang's first movie with sound, and BOY does he know how to use it.)
"The King and I"
And if this can be considered old: "High Plains Drifter"

The present state of the world is not the proof of philosophy’s impotence, but the proof of philosophy’s power. It is philosophy that has brought men to this state—it is only philosophy that can lead them out.

Ayn Rand, “For the New Intellectual,” For the New Intellectual, 50.
DogWoman   06-21-2008, 09:49 PM
t4terrific Wrote:How old? I love "Arsenic and Old Lace" and "My Darling Clementine". Not as old, I love "The Trouble With Harry", "True Grit", and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", "Rear Window" and many more. I live among movies that were made before I was old enough to watch.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is really one of the greatest films of all time. But if I had to pick a Hitchcock...Psycho is a cinematic masterpiece.

The present state of the world is not the proof of philosophy’s impotence, but the proof of philosophy’s power. It is philosophy that has brought men to this state—it is only philosophy that can lead them out.

Ayn Rand, “For the New Intellectual,” For the New Intellectual, 50.
Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5