Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
AlvinFox Wrote:Gauntlet comes out with a signed and numbered (or lettered depending on your preference) edition of the forthcoming RJ book around May/June. Many of us just can't wait until November.Smile

And why should we? You're either a Paulcat or Paulkitty or you ain't.
Dave F   06-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Great book (as if it would be otherwise)

We now know how old Glaeken is, this places the first age after the last glacial maximum & just before the final melt of the ice. So the I guess the cataclysm caused the end of the last ice - and the resultant floods & changes caused the end of the first age

Two questions re Nightworld prompted by the book

1) The necklaces were used to reform the hilt, but I was always uncomfortable that a few shards from the shattered blade in Romania could reforge the blade.

Do we now have a source for a full new blade to be recast and used in a momentous event?

2) Question for FPW - the afterward mentions an extensive revision of nightworld, does this refer to a mass market publication of the Borderlands version or are you planning a second revision?

Loved all the things Webby mentioned, especially Kenji!

A few other random thoughts:

Is (was) there a link between the Order Septinarius & Kakureta Kao. The tattoo Jack describes to Naka in the ear sounds suspiciously like the order's sigil (or is just a general otherness related emblem)

Great to see Glaeken back and taking such an active part in a book, he has always been one of my favorite characters.

No one has mentioned, Mr Drexler - he appears very sprightly for a many who was playing the money markets in 1923 - wonder if a healthy dose of oDNA has affected the speed at which he ages? (or are there more than 2 immortals in the secret history of the world)

Re Gia's paintings I think they are simply a premonition of Night world. The corruption of the moon, and strange flying creatures in the night sky.

Finally for now I loved the line about not Mother Earth - if that doesn't spark a lot of debate on here eventually i don't know what will.

Could she be mitrochondrical eve, that would make her everyones mother! I was a bit surprised when she appeared as someone young - I must admit I thought she was aging as the Otherness gained power (Revised Nightworld spoiler) [SPOILER] especially given the ending of the revised nightworld, when she appears as small girl when Rasalom is defeated[/SPOILER]

Anyway a great book, finished in less than a day

The artist formally known as Britfan
Kenji   06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Just now I finished reading BY THE SWORD.

Actually, I was reading it all night from 282 page to end. :Yawn:

[SIZE="3"]***Spoilers***[/SIZE]

What a great book! Now I can say THIS is the best RJ novel! Black Wind and RJ's world, what a perfect connection way! :thumbsup:

Oh, and too many characters in this book!...sometimes I got confused. Even Rafe appeared and he explained how he killed Jonah!

And fact that Glaeken met Masamune! Now finally I can connect it into Black Wind. "Masamune had fashioned this particular blade from another sword given him centuries ago by a wandering gaijin." Now I realized that gaijin is Glaeken! Cool.

Poor Dawn. She got many times kidnapped! Osala, Hank, Kakureta Kao, Hank, and Osala....Gosh! Can't she get a place for peacefully living?

What about Kenji? He died? He lost his hand! If he survived, I hope he appear for revenge, and next time, he will die!!! Confusedmilewinkgrin:

Anyway, I really enjoyed it! I hope Kenton Brothers appear in next novel again.
Kenji   06-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

BE AWARE!

MONSTROUS SPOILERS!

DID I MENTION...

SPOILERS!

I'm sending Kenji the book tomorrow, Webby--let's let him find out for himself!:hand: I bet he'll do a supersonic Limbo!

Yep. Thanks for the book, Mike! I found out one sneaky yakuza: Kenji (Thank you Paul!).

When I found that name, they danced in my head!

[Image: jumping0045.gif]
fpw   06-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Kenji Wrote:I found out one sneaky yakuza: Kenji (Thank you Paul!).
[SIZE="3"]I thought you'd like that. Sorry about the hand.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   06-28-2008, 09:45 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I thought you'd like that. Sorry about the hand.[/SIZE]

He he he.... No problem! Well, he already lost his little finger anyway....by Yubitsume! :eek6:
Kenji   06-28-2008, 11:39 PM
By the way, in "BY THE SWORD" some Japanese people appeared. Where did you get their name from?

I guess Hideo Takita was taken from Hideo Kojima. And, Toru Akechi was taken from his?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogoro_Akechi

How about Goro, Ryo, Sasaki, Tadasu, and Shiro...?

Just curiosity
fpw   06-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Kenji Wrote:By the way, in "BY THE SWORD" some Japanese people appeared. Where did you get their name from?

I guess Hideo Takita was taken from Hideo Kojima. And, Toru Akechi was taken from his?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogoro_Akechi

How about Goro, Ryo, Sasaki, Tadasu, and Shiro...?

Just curiosity

[SIZE="3"]You and Kojima-san were sources for two names, the rest were picked at random.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
webby   07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
So I just started rereading By the Sword, much more slowly this time and I discovered a link to The Touch.

Very early in BTS, Jack and Gia go to an opening at an art gallery. Jack is smitten with the wood sculptures of Bonsai trees by a woman named Sylvia.

[Image: ton_of_bricks-smiley.gif]

Sylvia ... Sylvia Nash ... Bonsai sculptures carved from wood ... so obvious! I feel so stoopid for missing it the first time!

[Image: doh.gif] Doh!

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
webby Wrote:So I just started rereading By the Sword, much more slowly this time and I discovered a link to The Touch.

Very early in BTS, Jack and Gia go to an opening at an art gallery. Jack is smitten with the wood sculptures of Bonsai trees by a woman named Sylvia.

[Image: ton_of_bricks-smiley.gif]

Sylvia ... Sylvia Nash ... Bonsai sculptures carved from wood ... so obvious! I feel so stoopid for missing it the first time!

[Image: doh.gif] Doh!

Don't feel bad, Webby. I missed that completely. Thanks for the tip!
Pages (3):    1 2 3