Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Biggles   07-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Here's a good "He's Great" vs. "He's a Hack" article.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5498829/

Sarah and Tara got annoying after a while. Are they trying to be Siskel and Ebert? If they are, they're not succeeding.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Scott Hajek   07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Biggles Wrote:Sarah and Tara got annoying after a while. Are they trying to be Siskel and Ebert? If they are, they're not succeeding.

I agree, they were annoying. I was just happy to see that someone else out there doesn't worship M.Nightie.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Dave   07-30-2004, 06:22 AM
I'm a fan of MNS's films, thought Sixth Sense was a great film even before that ending, which just made you want to watch the whole thing again.

Unbreakable is my fave of his so far. I love comic book lore and thought the reality of it happening was a great angle. It was also handle very well.

Signs was disappointing. It was good for the tension, pacing and build up (and the sound usage as they invaded the house was terrific), but the premise was shaky at best, and the whole 'there are no coincidences' ending was a cheat. I felt like he got to the end and thought how do I resolve this, I know, I'll make it about fate. Worse than Deux Ex Machina (sp?) in my mind.

I'm looking forward to The Village, it looks to have his trademark pacing and visuals, but hopefully a better resolution than Signs.

Dave
Kenji   07-30-2004, 07:50 AM
I like Shyamalan's movies. Especially, Sixth Sense(Japanese title is Six Sense. Not added "th") is memorable movie. The last scene was shocking, but touching.

Signs(Japanese title is Sign. Not added "s")... I agree with Scott. That Alien was not need in last scene. But movie is terrific. Especially, basement scene was scary.

And.......In Japan, The Village is release in fall. I saw trailer in theater. Yeah, Susan! You're right. I'm dying to see this movie too. Big Grin
Barry Lee Dejasu   08-02-2004, 08:44 AM
The Sixth Sense: Unforgettably powerful and perfect.

Unbreakable: Moving and stunning.

Signs: Extremely well-made and intriguing.

The Village: Just...unbelievable (but in a great, very believable, and good way).

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Susan   08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:The Sixth Sense: Unforgettably powerful and perfect.

Unbreakable: Moving and stunning.

Signs: Extremely well-made and intriguing.

The Village: Just...unbelievable (but in a great, very believable, and good way).

Oh man, now I want to see if even more! I didn't get a chance to go this weekend because my movie buddy got sick. Sad

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
nonsun blob a   08-07-2004, 11:52 AM
according to a friend who saw it, the movie was utterly laughable.
XiaoYu   08-07-2004, 02:52 PM
My friends dragged me off to see The Village; it didn't sound that interesting to me at first. To be honest, the beginning was pretty boring and funnily stiff. The people spoke old English with extreme fakeness, though looking back on it, it probably plays into the plot. The big twist at the end was pretty good; I didn't see it coming, and the movie's worth discussing at the end.

Hope your buddy gets better and you get to see it soon, Susan! Smile

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
sublime1983   08-07-2004, 07:05 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:How did he get "lucky" with The Sixth Sense? By making a good movie? Signs is incredible in my humble opinion, and I think Unbreakable is my favorite of the three. This guy is perfect so far, and I have no reason to doubt that The Village will also be spectacular.

I'm late, but I agree with this statment. I loved Signs. Prob my favorite movie of the three. Unbreakable wasn't bad, but not as good as the other two, IMO. Agree, he is perfect so far. But I've heard that the movie, The Village was really bad. I haven't read past Jim on this thread yet, so I'm sure there will be some other opinions down a little.

EDIT: I'm glad to hear that no one on this board is down on it.
This post was last modified: 08-07-2004, 07:14 PM by sublime1983.

There was once a man who was all obsessed with the strangest things. Like Nestle Quik, original cdr's and Afro-sheen. He built himself his dome, never left his home, decided life is much better when you're on your own. You might not want my opinion, but he coulda been on to something good.

Josh
sublime1983   08-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Annice Burdeos Wrote:although Phoenix was one solid and very effective scene, he'll always be Commodus to me.

I may be one of the few, but I didn't like Gladiator. I haven't been able to finish watching it since the first time I saw it, and it was a strug back then, too. I don't know, its not a bad movie, just not even close to my top picks.

There was once a man who was all obsessed with the strangest things. Like Nestle Quik, original cdr's and Afro-sheen. He built himself his dome, never left his home, decided life is much better when you're on your own. You might not want my opinion, but he coulda been on to something good.

Josh
Pages (3):    1 2 3