Pages (3):    1 2 3   
SSR777   10-08-2007, 02:22 AM
I wouldn't say they are necessary but from what I read of Nightworld (stopped half-way through, can't remeber why) it helps to read all of the Adversary Cycle so all of the "new" characters it shows make sense and gives them a good background. Plus it gives you the history of Ralsoma and what he's been doing inbetween tormening Jack.

But of course, as I said imo it's not needed to read them all. You could ask for a short bio of each of the "new" characters Nightworld introduces and not be lost at all as to who they are.

Life really sucked sometimes. But it didnt have to suck all the time. Sometimes things could be fixed.

- Jack
RichE   10-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Is the revised version in paperback yet?
metllicamilitia   10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:It's one of Paul's very best, met. Dig to hear your thoughts when you've finished it.

Will do, I'm about 150-200 pages in right now and I can only read it at home because webby's copy is the signed copy.

I would advise reading the Adversary Cycle because there is a history behind a lot of the characters especially Father Ryan and his "adventures" with Rasalom. So far I'm liking it but I think it's moving a little fast, but I know FPW has something that'll make it all very very worthwile.

"And the rain will kill us all, we throw ourselves against the wall, but no else can see, the preservation of the martyr in me" - [B]Corey Taylor
---------------------------------------------------
[/B]"I, am a worm before I am a man, I, was a creature before I could stand, I, will remember before I forget, before I forget this" - [B]Corey Taylor
---------------------------------------------------
[/B]"Dead visions in your name, dead fingers in my veins, dead memories in my heart" - Corey Taylor
webby   10-08-2007, 12:28 PM
RichE Wrote:Is the revised version in paperback yet?

Nope. Only the special, limited edition is available right now. It will probably be a few years before it is available in trade hardcover and/or paperback.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Auskar Wrote:I guess what I'm asking is, "Is it necessary to read all the other 'Adversary Cycle' stories in order for Nightworld to make any sense?" I tried to read them. I read The Keep, but it was a struggle for me - not because it is a bad book, but because I've got no real interest in horror unless there are lots of fights.

I think it's a richer experience if you've read all the books leading to Nightworld, but as others have said, it isn't strictly necessary. There are certainly "lots of fights" in Nightworld that should hold your interest. Besides, having read so much about the Otherness in the RJ series, I don't know how you could resist not finding out how it all plays out. That would drive me insane! Smile

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fenian1916   10-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Oxenberger Wrote:Plus, we get a reappearance of one of my favorite supporting characters, Ba. I don't want to give anything away, but what duo kicks more ass then Jack and Ba?!?

Oscar Madison and Felix Unger?

[SIZE=2]"There are many things more horrible than bloodshed; and slavery is one of them."
Padraig Pearse[/SIZE]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Fenian1916 Wrote:Oscar Madison and Felix Unger?

Josef Stalin and Leon Trotsky?
Dave F   10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
I would say reading the Ac would be an advantage, but not essential

An alternative is to get someone to e-mail you a brief synopsis of each book including the key characters (trying to avoid NW spoilers)

I'd be happy to have a stab at this for you

The first NW is definitely a horror book.

The revised NW, whilst essentially the same story, gives much more prominence to characters from the RJ series

Would seem a shame to get all the way through RJ & miss the finale

The artist formally known as Britfan
Oxenberger   10-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Josef Stalin and Leon Trotsky?

Siegfried and Roy...
Auskar   10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
You need a "Jack" convention...

Repairman Jack
Jack Crow
Jack Reacher
Pages (3):    1 2 3