Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Schwinn160   12-27-2007, 05:37 PM
sigokat Wrote:I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I just wanted to respond.

I'm a big Koontz fan myself, but I'm mainly a fan of his older works even though there has been a few of his newer releases I enjoyed (Life Expectany), but Darkfall is my all time favorite DK book.

If you like Koontz's older works, check out Dragon Tears. That's number 2 on my favorite Koontz list.

I hadn't noticed, but it's an interesting connection.

I also like DK's older works, but Life Expectancy is my favorite of his newer works. It seems like he repeats the same character types over and over. Like Aprilis said, Lightning is also a very good book. Big Grin

I can't remember at the moment which book was about the carnie that hunted the goblin-creatures. That was quite an amazing book as well. The concept is infinitely creepy. :eek:

I also love Mr. Murder. A crazed maniac that looks like you. Lots of possibilities there. Smile
Aprilis   12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Schwinn160 Wrote:I can't remember at the moment which book was about the carnie that hunted the goblin-creatures. That was quite an amazing book as well. The concept is infinitely creepy. :eek:

Twilight Eyes is the Koontz book

Stephen King also wrote a short story with the same premise - 'the 10 o'clock people' in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

the same concept again in a 1988 movie 'They live' that has a special pair of sunglasses that allow 'them' to be seen.

Of these 3 Twilight Eyes is my favorite. This was the first Koontz novel where he showed what kind of writer he could be. It was the first time he broke the mold of his 'formula' and wrote a real story.
Sigokat   12-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Schwinn160 Wrote:I hadn't noticed, but it's an interesting connection.

I also like DK's older works, but Life Expectancy is my favorite of his newer works. It seems like he repeats the same character types over and over. Like Aprilis said, Lightning is also a very good book. Big Grin

I can't remember at the moment which book was about the carnie that hunted the goblin-creatures. That was quite an amazing book as well. The concept is infinitely creepy. :eek:

I also love Mr. Murder. A crazed maniac that looks like you. Lots of possibilities there. Smile

Yes Lightning was a fanatistic novel...I read it last time I was in Iraq and I believe there was more then a couple days where I was dragging ass at work because I had stayed up late the ngiht before reading that book.

I never noticed that Koontz would repeat character types in his novels, but I guess it is a possibility. I never read Twilight Eyes or Mr. Murder.

Watchers is another great novel by Koontz; its number 3 on my top 3 list but I've seen it as number 1 for alot of Koontz fans. Darkfall and Dragon Tears will always hold those top 2 positions for me. Smile

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Schwinn160   12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Aprilis Wrote:Twilight Eyes is the Koontz book

Stephen King also wrote a short story with the same premise - 'the 10 o'clock people' in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

the same concept again in a 1988 movie 'They live' that has a special pair of sunglasses that allow 'them' to be seen.

Of these 3 Twilight Eyes is my favorite. This was the first Koontz novel where he showed what kind of writer he could be. It was the first time he broke the mold of his 'formula' and wrote a real story.

Ooo! I had forgotten the 10 o' clock people! That WAS a good story.
Schwinn160   12-28-2007, 10:46 AM
sigokat Wrote:Yes Lightning was a fanatistic novel...I read it last time I was in Iraq and I believe there was more then a couple days where I was dragging ass at work because I had stayed up late the ngiht before reading that book.

I never noticed that Koontz would repeat character types in his novels, but I guess it is a possibility. I never read Twilight Eyes or Mr. Murder.

Watchers is another great novel by Koontz; its number 3 on my top 3 list but I've seen it as number 1 for alot of Koontz fans. Darkfall and Dragon Tears will always hold those top 2 positions for me. Smile

I've had more than my share of those late-night reading sessions... Big Grin

In his newer works, it seems like he repeats the same characters or character types. One person is mentally handicapped, but holds a key to the story. One person talks in riddles and is seen as a genius. SSDD (for any King fansWink ) A link to wikipedia's article about this--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Koontz...n_elements

Watchers is about the animal hybrids, right? That is another of my favorites!

Fairly recently, the Taking was a pretty frightening book. An older book that is also pretty scary is Phantoms (I read it when I was younger and didn't sleep all night!)

My ultimate favorite of his is probably From the Corner of His Eye, while my dad's fave is One Door Away from Heaven.

Even after all that, I still like FPW better. Big Grin
Sigokat   12-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Schwinn160 Wrote:I've had more than my share of those late-night reading sessions... Big Grin

In his newer works, it seems like he repeats the same characters or character types. One person is mentally handicapped, but holds a key to the story. One person talks in riddles and is seen as a genius. SSDD (for any King fansWink ) A link to wikipedia's article about this--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Koontz...n_elements

Watchers is about the animal hybrids, right? That is another of my favorites!

Fairly recently, the Taking was a pretty frightening book. An older book that is also pretty scary is Phantoms (I read it when I was younger and didn't sleep all night!)

My ultimate favorite of his is probably From the Corner of His Eye, while my dad's fave is One Door Away from Heaven.

Even after all that, I still like FPW better. Big Grin

Well I guess I can see what you mean as far as repeating some of the characters/character types. Like I said, I'm not much into his newer works and of those I've only read Odd Thomas (only the first one), Life Expectancy, The Face, The Husband, and The Good Guy...that's all I can remember off the top of my head...but I definitely see what you mean now that I stop and think about it...lol.

Yes Watchers was about the animal hybrids...the golden retriever named Einstein and the other creature that pursued the dog. I honestly think the most touching part of the story (I can't believe I just typed that...I swear I'm not gay) is the description of the monster and the Mickey Mouse toys...the only real peace and happiness the creature knew.

I had The Taking, but when I realized it had something to do with the bible I lost interest...I had also heard it wasn't very good, so in that case I let other peoples' opinions sway me which is a rare occurrance and I donated it to the library that was built on our camp in Iraq.

I believe I read From the Corner of His Eye, but I'm not postive...refresh me?

Also House of Thunder was a good one as well...I enjoyed Phantoms too...pretty scary.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Schwinn160   12-28-2007, 01:36 PM
sigokat Wrote:Well I guess I can see what you mean as far as repeating some of the characters/character types. Like I said, I'm not much into his newer works and of those I've only read Odd Thomas (only the first one), Life Expectancy, The Face, The Husband, and The Good Guy...that's all I can remember off the top of my head...but I definitely see what you mean now that I stop and think about it...lol.

Yes Watchers was about the animal hybrids...the golden retriever named Einstein and the other creature that pursued the dog. I honestly think the most touching part of the story (I can't believe I just typed that...I swear I'm not gay) is the description of the monster and the Mickey Mouse toys...the only real peace and happiness the creature knew.

I had The Taking, but when I realized it had something to do with the bible I lost interest...I had also heard it wasn't very good, so in that case I let other peoples' opinions sway me which is a rare occurrance and I donated it to the library that was built on our camp in Iraq.

I believe I read From the Corner of His Eye, but I'm not postive...refresh me?

Also House of Thunder was a good one as well...I enjoyed Phantoms too...pretty scary.

His older books I didn't notice the repeats as much, but all the newer ones seem to follow that pattern.

Agreed on the ape-thing with the Mickey Mouse toys. I know, I know, it's a speck of dust in your eye (mine too). Wink

From the Corner of His Eye was about the man named Junior that was killing people. A detective named Vanadium was pursuing him. Bartholomew the child was blinded shortly after birth but was a genius. His mother was "The Pie Lady". I've read it 2-3 times and now need to get a new copy that's not destroyed.

House of Thunder was one of those psychological thriller types, and it definitely was a creepy concept.
Sigokat   12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Schwinn160 Wrote:His older books I didn't notice the repeats as much, but all the newer ones seem to follow that pattern.

Agreed. I found the basic premises behind The Husband and The Good Guy to be very similar as well.

Quote:Agreed on the ape-thing with the Mickey Mouse toys. I know, I know, it's a speck of dust in your eye (mine too). Wink

yeah..that's it...you got it...speck of dust in the eye...

Quote:From the Corner of His Eye was about the man named Junior that was killing people. A detective named Vanadium was pursuing him. Bartholomew the child was blinded shortly after birth but was a genius. His mother was "The Pie Lady". I've read it 2-3 times and now need to get a new copy that's not destroyed.

Ok I haven't read that one...I'll check out the library here and see if they have it.

Quote:House of Thunder was one of those psychological thriller types, and it definitely was a creepy concept.

Yes it was extremely creepy...I read it a second time and it was just as creepy as the first time I had read it even though I knew what was "really" going on.

I enjoyed The Face of Fear as well simply because of the Nietzsche complexes that the killers had. Very creepy and very cool.

Major K

Schwinn160   12-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Quote:Ok I haven't read that one...I'll check out the library here and see if they have it.

Let me know. If not I'll try to get you a copy.

Yes, the Husband and the Good Guy are when the character repeats started really sticking out at me. His last that I read was Brother Odd, and while it was pretty good, the same character types were present as well. My dad said the second Odd book, Forever Odd, wasn't worth reading. Just read that he's working on 4th and 5th Odd books.

The Taking was about the end of the world, if I remember correctly. I don't remember the Bible references, but it's been quite a while since I read it.

Another pretty good story was By the Light of the Moon. Some scientist experiments on some unknowing people and they gain super powers. I'm a sucker for super powers. Smile
Tony H   12-28-2007, 05:21 PM
sigokat Wrote:Yes Watchers was about the animal hybrids...the golden retriever named Einstein and the other creature that pursued the dog. I honestly think the most touching part of the story (I can't believe I just typed that...I swear I'm not gay) is the description of the monster and the Mickey Mouse toys...the only real peace and happiness the creature knew.

First those fucking homosexuals took rainbows from everyone else now they took sentimentality. Clearly they need to be stopped.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4