RepairmanJack.com Forums
Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) (/thread-2350.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - IrishKKC - 05-30-2007

Anyone else here a Dean Koontz fan? I'm sure there are and something has been bugging me for awhile and I wanted to get it out. I have noticed some coincidences between a Kootz book and an F. Paul Wilson book... but of course there are no coincidences when it comes to Repairman Jack. Anywho, the two books are Darkfall by Koontz and The Tomb by Who else?

1. Both have a hero named Jack
2. Both were published in 1984
3. Both have a child being stalked by evil creatures
4. Both have a crazy foreign guy wreaking havoc on New York by setting these creatures loose on people they got a beef with
5. Both children in the books are girls and are sometimes watched by an aunt
(Ok that ones far fetched but whatever)

Anyways the books are different in their own ways and The Tomb outshines Darkfall heavily, in my opinion. But for those who have read both do you see similarities or am I just full of Bantha poodoo?

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - cobalt - 05-30-2007

IrishKKC Wrote:Anyone else here a Dean Koontz fan? I'm sure there are and something has been bugging me for awhile and I wanted to get it out. I have noticed some coincidences between a Kootz book and an F. Paul Wilson book... but of course there are no coincidences when it comes to Repairman Jack. Anywho, the two books are Darkfall by Koontz and The Tomb by Who else?

4. Both have a crazy foreign guy wreaking havoc on New York by setting these creatures loose on people they got a beef with

Anyways the books are different in their own ways and The Tomb outshines Darkfall heavily, in my opinion. But for those who have read both do you see similarities or am I just full of Bantha poodoo?

Welcome IrishKKC. I've read both, but I really don't remember Darkfall too well. Interesting similarities there. Lots of authors use a "Jack" as their hero. Have you read any of Lee Child's books? His hero is also a Jack. A good series here as well. But I like RMJ the best.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - IrishKKC - 05-31-2007

cobalt79 Wrote:Welcome IrishKKC. I've read both, but I really don't remember Darkfall too well. Interesting similarities there. Lots of authors use a "Jack" as their hero. Have you read any of Lee Child's books? His hero is also a Jack. A good series here as well. But I like RMJ the best.

Yeah Jack is a common name and I am actually writing something now and the main character is a Jack. I have never picked up Lee Childs but I will have to check him out. I am really trying to find another good Horror series like RJ and the Adversary Cycle but have come up short. Just gotta wait till Bloodline and the next Odd Thomas book comes out.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Auskar - 05-31-2007

IrishKKC Wrote:Anyone else here a Dean Koontz fan?
Nope. But...

...my creative writing instructor in college liked Koontz a lot, though, and used him as an example of an author who understood the idea of writing for the purpose of being published. I took the course in 1975 or 1976, so my college instructor was obviously correct about Mr. Koontz, who went on to become a very prolific published author.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Kenji - 05-31-2007

IrishKKC Wrote:Anyone else here a Dean Koontz fan? I'm sure there are and something has been bugging me for awhile and I wanted to get it out. I have noticed some coincidences between a Kootz book and an F. Paul Wilson book... but of course there are no coincidences when it comes to Repairman Jack. Anywho, the two books are Darkfall by Koontz and The Tomb by Who else?

Apparently, those are coincidences. I read Darkfall, but I don't remember the details.

But...what is Bantha poodoo?

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - IrishKKC - 05-31-2007

Kenji Wrote:Apparently, those are coincidences. I read Darkfall, but I don't remember the details.

But...what is Bantha poodoo?

Its from Star Wars. For some reason it seemed like the thing to put at the time. Jabba says it and its just animal poop.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Ken Valentine - 05-31-2007

IrishKKC Wrote:Its from Star Wars. For some reason it seemed like the thing to put at the time. Jabba says it and its just animal poop.

Actually, in Episode 1, it's translated as "fodder."

Fodder in turn is defined as:

1. Feed for livestock, especially coarsely chopped hay or straw.
2. Raw material, as for artistic creation.
3. A consumable, often inferior item or resource that is in demand and usually abundant supply: romantic novels intended as fodder for the pulp fiction market.

Ken V.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Kenji - 06-01-2007

IrishKKC Wrote:Its from Star Wars. For some reason it seemed like the thing to put at the time. Jabba says it and its just animal poop.

Ah! That Bantha! LOL I know that. Hehe...Big Grin But I didn't know "poodoo" though.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Sigokat - 12-10-2007

I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I just wanted to respond.

I'm a big Koontz fan myself, but I'm mainly a fan of his older works even though there has been a few of his newer releases I enjoyed (Life Expectany), but Darkfall is my all time favorite DK book.

I've read Darkfall at least three times. There's just something about the chase in that novel that I think is terrifying, yet gripping at the same time. I remember The Tomb beng a page turned for me, but since I've only read it once I don't remember too much about it. But that will all change now that I've started the Advesary Cycle as well.

If you like Koontz's older works, check out Dragon Tears. That's number 2 on my favorite Koontz list.

Coincidences (The Tomb and Darkfall Spoilers.) - Aprilis - 12-11-2007

sigokat Wrote:I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I just wanted to respond.

I'm a big Koontz fan myself, but I'm mainly a fan of his older works even though there has been a few of his newer releases I enjoyed (Life Expectany), but Darkfall is my all time favorite DK book.

I've read Darkfall at least three times. There's just something about the chase in that novel that I think is terrifying, yet gripping at the same time. I remember The Tomb beng a page turned for me, but since I've only read it once I don't remember too much about it. But that will all change now that I've started the Advesary Cycle as well.

If you like Koontz's older works, check out Dragon Tears. That's number 2 on my favorite Koontz list.

Darkfall I think was the scariest book I've ever read. But I think the tomb was a far superior novel, and FPW is a much better writer that Koontz. And this isn the first time that FPW has similar books to others ... Dyedeetown World is very similar to Lawrence Watt-Evans' Nightworld. And again FPW comes out on top with a much better story Smile
My fav Koontz novel is Lightning - hmmm, another nazi story ....