Pages (12):    1 3 4 5 6 7 12   
NewYorkjoe   11-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Dave Wrote:In the interest of welcoming the Parkster, and my own fascination with seeing my words in e-print, here's my entry.

fyi, I am not living in the US so technically I was not allowed to enter, but since when did Jack obey something as flimsy as a rule.

I also had the impression the idea was to approach Jack with a difficult 'fix-it', rather than put Jack into a difficult situation, that said, I liked NYJ's idea and thought it was presented in a great way.

My entry

Dave

But, it does not involve the Adversary or He Who Is Not To Be Named. This kind of scenario would appeal to Lawrence Block, who has a character who is a hitman and has done many, many jobs. Have you ever read any Lawrence Block? Many of his stories are also set in Manhattan.

Also, you pretty imaginative, fer a "John Bull!" Big Grin

Regards,

NewYorkjoe
BTW, can I get an introduction to your avatar? Wink
This post was last modified: 11-20-2006, 04:05 PM by NewYorkjoe.
Medusa   11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Manda_W Wrote:BOHICA
SNAFU

Anyone care to help with an explanation? I know FUBAR all too well, an especially fond memory of high school and my first kegger.

Dave, good situation. I can imagine Jack getting really inventive with punishment fitting the crime on that one.
Not sure about the SNAFU but BOHICA is Bend Over Here it Comes
Lisa   11-20-2006, 03:13 PM
SNAFU = Situation Normal All Fouled (or F*cked) Up
Dave   11-20-2006, 03:25 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:But, it does not involve the Adversary or He Who Is Not To Be Named. This kind of scenario would appeal to Lawrence Block, who has a character who is a hitman and has done many, many jobs. Have you ever read any Lawrence Blcok? Many of his stories are also set in Manhattan.
Most of the fixes that come Jack's way are not discussed as a part of the Adversary War, only when it plays out does the Otherness/Ally taint make itself known, and that would be Paul's job to make that connection. I liked your scenario, but would not like to see it in an RJ story. It is so overt, I would struggle to imagine Alomras coming up with it, being out of character for him. But that's just me.
Quote:BTW, can I get an introduction to your avatar? Wink
Sure, PM me your number and I'll get her to give you a call. I think she's in the states now promoting some recent films... Wink

Dave
Scott Hajek   11-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Dave Wrote:Most of the fixes that come Jack's way are not discussed as a part of the Adversary War, only when it plays out does the Otherness/Ally taint make itself known, and that would be Paul's job to make that connection. I liked your scenario, but would not like to see it in an RJ story. It is so overt, I would struggle to imagine Alomras coming up with it, being out of character for him. But that's just me.
Dave

It's not just you. While NYJ's concept is a good stumper, you're right in that it doesn't fit with the RJ canon. That's my biggest beef with the whole idea... it just doesn't fit... as is. If FPW works his magic on it, I'm sure we'll all be impressed and continue to be in awe, but as is, it doesn't fit with the basic concept of the AC and the world of RJ.

And, to be quite honest, I like your stumper better. How, indeed, does Jack fake his own death convincingly to save the lives of these women? Your fix-it could easily be blended into a typical RJ novel without being the sole focus like NYJs.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Maggers   11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:It's not just you. While NYJ's concept is a good stumper, you're right in that it doesn't fit with the RJ canon. That's my biggest beef with the whole idea... it just doesn't fit... as is. If FPW works his magic on it, I'm sure we'll all be impressed and continue to be in awe, but as is, it doesn't fit with the basic concept of the AC and the world of RJ.

And, to be quite honest, I like your stumper better. How, indeed, does Jack fake his own death convincingly to save the lives of these women? Your fix-it could easily be blended into a typical RJ novel without being the sole focus like NYJs.

I agree, Scott. NYJ's concept has nothing to do with the Repairman Jack that I know and love. But Dave's script is absolutely AWESOME, and it fits like a glove with the RJ story line and concept.

Wonderful work, Dave. God, you're good!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lisa   11-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Maggers Wrote:Wonderful work, Dave.

I had a dream about Dave last night. The rest of you guest starred, popping into the dream now and then. Unfortunately I can't remember what the heck the dream was about except for hanging out with Dave. There was some "plot"... probably it was a GU. Hmmm.

Lisa
WR.PARK   11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
NewYorkJoe: I never accused you and FPW of being dishonest--merely that the cloud that FPW warned about was formed when you were mentioned in his acknowledgement and then you won the contest.

Question: Are you still working in that Turkish Bath? I understand that it takes former copywriters longer than most to sweat it out of their system.
Dave F   11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
OK here goes - I feel a bit nervous having seen the quality of Dave's suggestion. I am sure Jack would find his way out of this - but here goes (be gentle!!!!!!!!!)

Dear Mr Tyleski

Except we both know that isn’t your real name, so I hope you won’t mind if I just call you Jack. I was sorry to hear of the death of your father, Jack, but I have to say that was a lovely send off you gave him down in Johnson and your choice of headstone was very tasteful. Incidentally Jack, nice family name, have you ever tried to trace it’s origins.

Anyway, Jack, to business. It appears I have been doing you a favor for some time, and now it is time you repaid the compliment.

I have a little problem with a wannabe politician who is spreading fear and hatred of the organized crime fraternity. He is even going so far as to suggest vigilantes should take up arms and take direct action. Now all of this is very bad for business, and I am therefore seeking a terminal solution to the activities of Mr Al Roams.

I understand you respect your privacy Jack, I am therefore sure you would not want certain government agencies to learn of our little agreement, or of your past. I could of course threaten Gia or the delightful Vicky, but that would be so crass.

I have placed a copy of my “Jack” file in a safe place, if anything should happen to me or if Mr Roams is not terminated by 1.00pm on Thursday your file will be passed to the relevant authorities.

I understand there are quite a few people keen to “entertain” you on the inside.

Should you carry out my favor, I will consider us even. But do please try to avoid any further parking tickets.

Yours sincerely

Mr V Donato

Ps That is a very nice car you drive Jack.
This post was last modified: 11-20-2006, 08:01 PM by Dave F.

The artist formally known as Britfan
NewYorkjoe   11-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Maggers Wrote:I agree, Scott. NYJ's concept has nothing to do with the Repairman Jack that I know and love.

Sorry, but I disagree. He Who Is Not To Be Named (HWINTBN) stated (Gateways) that he looked forward to savoring the despair of a stong man (Jack) in the future. How better to induce despair than to make Jack his servant and force him to kill and torture, etc.?

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the RJ that you know and love is changing. We are seeing more and more of his darker side; I believe that FPW is evolving the character.

NewYorkjoe
Pages (12):    1 3 4 5 6 7 12