Pages (12): 1 2 3 4 5 12   
WR.PARK   11-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Frankly I wasn't overly enthused by the winning selection of the recent 'Stump Jack The Repairman Contest'--the winner was someone named New York Joe. In the acknowledgment page of the novel HARBINGERS, someone identified as New York Joe was thanked for his weaponary assistance. The contest winner was announced well after the novel was released. Was this just another 'coincidence'? If it is, in fairness to those entering the contest, an explanation might be in order. Different New York Joe? If it is the same, the individual mentioned in the acknowledgment should have been disqualified. Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes. Just trying to level the playing field.

http://www.wrparkbooks.com
Scott Hajek   11-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Same NYJ. But, if you had an idea that you deem better, post it. FPW was the judge in the contest, but a level playing field on the board is still available. There are some of us that aren't convinced that NYJ's idea was indeed the best. Especially as to how it fits in the RJ canon.

Though, in regards to NYJs winning entry, I've figured out how it could fit into the RJ canon, how to make it work (there are inherent flaws implicit and explicit) and how to get out of it. I'd be willing to post my ideas if there is interest. Though, I may just steal the whole thing and write a story with the basic concept. Since my version would work, there's no threat of copyright infringement. Especially since the "original" idea was derivative to begin with.

Though, as I posted in another thread, if there's anyone who could take that basic framework of an idea and make it work and be convincing, it's FPW.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Sourdoughs   11-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Maybe it's sour grapes, maybe not. Not everyone will like the entry. I do fully trust that this contest was on the up-and-up. Personally I'd still like to read the other entries just for fun.

-MarcC
Amon   11-18-2006, 02:52 AM
Hey guys, it's been awhile. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but it's been a long time since I've posted, mainly due to life-distractions, if you catch my drift.

In any event, I thought NYJ's scenario was really good. I got the feeling he was sort of inspired by "SAW." I'd have loved to have tried to stump Jack myself, but as I said, I never got around to entering due to being too busy with other things.

Congrats to New York Joe.
This post was last modified: 11-18-2006, 02:55 AM by Amon.
Dave F   11-18-2006, 07:07 AM
FPW did ask members to use a different name on their entries to avoid this kind of accusation, and stated in his winning announcement that he wished NYJ had done so

I think we should we respect the decision

However if you are that concerned, put your money where your mouth is - lets see your idea - let the public be your judge.

Whilst we are throwing accusations around - is this just a way to get your own books some publicity - FPW's last mass market paperback is number 51,000 in the amazon top selling books, and Harbingers is 4,682 - compared to................

Sour grapes indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The artist formally known as Britfan
WR.PARK   11-18-2006, 12:54 PM
This is for Britfan, Sourdoughs and Scott Hajek. First, I'm a big fan of Jack the Repairman, and will continue to be. Second, I did not mean to suggest impropriety on the part of the author. I asked a question, which Scott answered. Now that we're aware that both the New York Joe mentioned in the acknowledgement page and the winner of the contest are one in the same--I sincerely feel that the individual should not have been eligible to enter same. Just as any contest where associates, members of the families, and employees are deemed ineligible. It's no big deal. And as stated, probably sour grapes.

With the creative talent in the house, there were, no doubt, numerous interesting scenarios to stump Jack. I'll be the first to expose mine and hope others will follow. As Sourdougs suggested--it would be interesting to read.

After the sudden abduction and disappearance of Vicky, and Jack and Gia’s baby son, both Jack and Gia come face-to-face with two representatives of the warring ‘Otherness’ in a final showdown between the two malignant forces in their battle to control Earth. Both sides consider Jack to be the warrior they most possess to destroy the other.

One side in the conflict holds the rope to a cage suspending Vicky over a gaping hole in the earth. Jack and Gia’s new born son is in the grasp of the opponent holding a basket with the sleeping baby over a similar dark bottomless pit. Threatened by the eminent death of loved ones, Jack is presented with an ultimatum and forced to make a choice: which side should he join and fight for? Either way, he loses Vicky or the baby. And will no doubt, whatever his decision, lose Gia.

There. Who's next?
BrettM   11-18-2006, 01:14 PM
WR.PARK Wrote:I sincerely feel that the individual should not have been eligible to enter same. Just as any contest where associates, members of the families, and employees are deemed ineligible.
But those rules are designed to prevent the contest organizer(s) from rigging the thing to achieve an indirect benefit or kickback. Neither was a possibility in this case, as FPW has no possible way to benefit from NYJ's win, and FPW doesn't owe anything because has already rewarded NYJ for his previous help by mentioning him in the credits. "Associates" in those rules doesn't refer to everyone the contest organizer happens to be casually acquainted with!

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
redheadmargo   11-18-2006, 01:57 PM
WR.PARK Wrote:This is for Britfan, Sourdoughs and Scott Hajek. First, I'm a big fan of Jack the Repairman, and will continue to be. Second, I did not mean to suggest impropriety on the part of the author. I asked a question, which Scott answered. Now that we're aware that both the New York Joe mentioned in the acknowledgement page and the winner of the contest are one in the same--I sincerely feel that the individual should not have been eligible to enter same. Just as any contest where associates, members of the families, and employees are deemed ineligible. It's no big deal. And as stated, probably sour grapes.

With the creative talent in the house, there were, no doubt, numerous interesting scenarios to stump Jack. I'll be the first to expose mine and hope others will follow. As Sourdougs suggested--it would be interesting to read.

After the sudden abduction and disappearance of Vicky, and Jack and Gia’s baby son, both Jack and Gia come face-to-face with two representatives of the warring ‘Otherness’ in a final showdown between the two malignant forces in their battle to control Earth. Both sides consider Jack to be the warrior they most possess to destroy the other.

One side in the conflict holds the rope to a cage suspending Vicky over a gaping hole in the earth. Jack and Gia’s new born son is in the grasp of the opponent holding a basket with the sleeping baby over a similar dark bottomless pit. Threatened by the eminent death of loved ones, Jack is presented with an ultimatum and forced to make a choice: which side should he join and fight for? Either way, he loses Vicky or the baby. And will no doubt, whatever his decision, lose Gia.

There. Who's next?

Interesting scenario........
WR.PARK   11-18-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but...in no way do I question FPW's honesty and I highly regard his rare literary talent.

I asked a simple question: Is the New York Joe who won the contest the same individual who helped FPW with his latest novel. A logical question. One that anyone could have asked if they too wondered. The answer was yes.

I've spent 42-years in the advertising business and associated with numerous major contests--and in my opinion--due to the close association between FPW and NYJ--even if I had considered NYJ's scenario to be the best, I would have contacted him and explained my dilemma. His winning could cause pause for concern--but I would like to use his 'situation' in an upcoming novel as a reward. That would have been my advice.

It's time to bury the horse.

Anyone else willing to expose their 'Stump Jack the Repairman' scenario?
Ken Valentine   11-19-2006, 01:43 AM
WR.PARK Wrote:--due to the close association between FPW and NYJ--even if I had considered NYJ's scenario to be the best, I would have contacted him and explained my dilemma.

You are assuming that there is a close association.

I have been mentioned in the acknowledgements section in a couple of FPW's books -- also for firearms advice -- and I had never actually met the man. The few times I have met him were at book signings. He learned who I was when he asked to whom he should inscribe the books.

I'm willing to bet that FPW's association with New York Joe is much the same as mine -- one of casual acquaintance.

One of FPW's strong points as an author is that he does his research, and when he finds someone who has knowledge which will help him with some technical problem, he gives them credit for their assistance.

I was more than mildly surprised when I found my name in the acknowledgements section of CRISSCROSS.

The purpose of the contest was to invent a situation which would stump RJ. New York Joe did just that, and I have no problem with it.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Ken V.
Pages (12): 1 2 3 4 5 12