Pages (12):    1 2 3 4 5 12   
Ken Valentine   11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
KRW Wrote:That has a nice ring to it, it should be put on a t-shirt or a coffee mug or something.Big Grin

Welcome to the board!

I have 'em both! Big Grin

Ken V.
law dawg   11-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Revolvers can be silenced . . . but it takes a bit of work. The most important thing is reducing the barrel/cylinder gap. With that in mind, the best kind of revolver to silence is a single action revolver. (The cylinder doesn't swing out to the side on a crane and therefore you can get away with a smaller barrel/cylinder gap.) About the minimum gap I can get on a double action is 2 thousandths of an inch, and still have it function. And you need to have less than 1 thousandth end-shake. I can get a single action down to less than 1 thousandth -- of course that means that you need to have less than 1 thou end-shake as well.
Really? I didn't know that. I'm not a a technician when it comes to guns. I look at them as tools in a toolbox. I'm much better in the tactics part of the equation. I have a very good friend who is always experiments with guns, etc. Me, just hand me the tool and let me loose. As for you gunsmiths, I've always admired your knowledge and ability. Just not enough to get off my lazy butt and learn myself....

Quote:Good luck with your writing, I bet they'd both be interesting reads. I'd be especially interested in the second book, but the first one may be intriguing as well.
I'm 47,000 words into the first one. I just started the second (about 3,000 words or so). You'll like the second one - it shows some of how we don't learn our lessons and how the same people who got us into trouble in the first place continue to be employed if not promoted.

Quote:I'll second that.
Its hard not to like FPW. He is very real and likes good beer. What's the down side? Wink

Ken V.[/QUOTE]
webby   11-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Amon Wrote:Hey guys, it's been awhile. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but it's been a long time since I've posted, mainly due to life-distractions, if you catch my drift.

In any event, I thought NYJ's scenario was really good. I got the feeling he was sort of inspired by "SAW." I'd have loved to have tried to stump Jack myself, but as I said, I never got around to entering due to being too busy with other things.

Congrats to New York Joe.

Welcome back, Amon! I noticed your absence from the board and was hoping you'd find your way back one day. Hope all is well. Smile

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   11-20-2006, 12:16 AM
sigokat Wrote:Its not like NWJ got paid by FPW for his "assitance" with weapons. If you take the time to search these forums you will see that FPW asks for and receives a lot of advice from people here. I guess that means we should all be disqualified because we gave him our opinions on a particular matter.

Its over and done with...FIDO

Totally agree. FIDO! And thanks to Ken V. for the translation. Big Grin

Now that I've thanked Ken and agreed with sigokat, we have an apparent close association so if I ever run a contest... you guys are disqualified! :p

WR.Park - welcome to the board. Hope you'll decide to stick around.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ken Valentine   11-20-2006, 01:02 AM
webby Wrote:Now that I've thanked Ken and agreed with sigokat, we have an apparent close association so if I ever run a contest... you guys are disqualified! :p

:eek:

Ken V.
Amon   11-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the welcome back, webby. Cool
Sigokat   11-20-2006, 04:09 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I had a suspicion that FIDO was an acronym, so I looked it up . . . Forget It, Drive On. (Or, "F" It, Drive On.)

That's another one I'll add to my lexicon. Big Grin

Ken V.

Yes, you are correct, but we use the latter more then the former.

Here's another, but it doesn't really apply in this situation:

BOHICA

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
NewYorkjoe   11-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Amon Wrote:Hey guys, it's been awhile. I don't know if anyone remembers me, but it's been a long time since I've posted, mainly due to life-distractions, if you catch my drift.

In any event, I thought NYJ's scenario was really good. I got the feeling he was sort of inspired by "SAW." I'd have loved to have tried to stump Jack myself, but as I said, I never got around to entering due to being too busy with other things.

Congrats to New York Joe.

Thanks!

I may actually have to rent at least one of the Saw films, since it has been mentioned more than once in connection with my scenario. I don't usually favor the "chop and slop" genre.

Last week, I viewed "Flags of Our Fathers," and last night, the wife and I watched "The Cave." She usually likes scary films, so long as they aren't based on a true story ("The Texas Chainsaw Massacre") or involve the dead reanimating. "The Cave" reminded her of a scuba dive we did off Roatan (Honduras). This involved "coral tubes" and made her feel claustrophobic. Cave diving is totally different from open water or even wreck diving, even if some monster is not after you.

The thrust behind my scenario, unworthy though some may deem it so, was to get Jack to do the bidding of He Who Is Not To Be Named (HWINTBN). Only a threat to Gia and Vickie could motivate him, but Jack would have to be remotely controlled somehow, otherwise he would merely turn on his puppetmaster and rescue his females. There have been actual cases, where individuals have been compelled to rob banks with the threat of a bomb (both real and faked) attached to them. This was my basis, the extra bells and whistles I added to make it more difficult for Jack and easier to monitor and control/punish him. So, there you have my thought process laid bare for examination. By compelling Jack to perform actions against his will and his moral code, HWINTBN would enjoy the despair of a strong-willed individual that he savors.

Perhaps this will end the multiple references to the Saw films and my stealing the idea from them. While some may deem my idea a poor one, still, it remains my own.

NewYorkjoe
XamberB   11-20-2006, 06:17 AM
sigokat Wrote:Yes, you are correct, but we use the latter more then the former.

Here's another, but it doesn't really apply in this situation:

BOHICA

BOHICA? BOHICA would definitely describe where I work. I put in approximately 80 hours a week and get yelled out constantly because nothing gets done because they keep piling more and more on me. :eek:

I thought of this as FUBAR.Big Grin
This post was last modified: 11-20-2006, 06:22 AM by XamberB.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
NewYorkjoe   11-20-2006, 06:36 AM
WR.PARK Wrote:I've spent 42-years in the advertising business and associated with numerous major contests--and in my opinion--due to the close association between FPW and NYJ--even if I had considered NYJ's scenario to be the best, I would have contacted him and explained my dilemma. His winning could cause pause for concern--but I would like to use his 'situation' in an upcoming novel as a reward. That would have been my advice.

I'm curious, does anyone else see the humor of someone with 42 years in advertising questioning the motives or veracity of someone else? Wink

And, I thought that I'd seen chutzpah! Rolleyes
Pages (12):    1 2 3 4 5 12