Pages (3): 1 2 3   
fpw   07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
[SIZE="3"]This film is a tad too cute, a tad too clever, a tad too arch, a tad too self conscious for its own good, but it's a LOT of fun. Post-modern seems to be a passe term these days, but this would certainly fit the bill with its self referential storyline and constant breaking of the 4th wall. Robert Downey Jr, who I like a lot as an actor, is perfect for the lead.

But if you ain't into the tropes of Hollywood noir, you'll probably find it boring and confusing. Even then, you might find yourself scratching your head. Don't fret, just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's violent but it has its share of humor too. The Russian roulette scene made me laugh out loud (which feels really weird when you're sitting alone in the dark).

FF= 0[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jacobm   07-07-2006, 01:40 PM
My wife and I rented this movie a couple weeks ago on a lark and loved it! Who knew Val Kilmer could be that good? The "look up idiot in the dictionary" line was priceless. I thought the ending, with Downey shooting at a moving car while holding onto a bridge with one hand was a bit too Hollywood, but overall it was excellent.
nonsun blob a   07-07-2006, 08:18 PM
jacobm Wrote:My wife and I rented this movie a couple weeks ago on a lark and loved it! Who knew Val Kilmer could be that good? The "look up idiot in the dictionary" line was priceless. I thought the ending, with Downey shooting at a moving car while holding onto a bridge with one hand was a bit too Hollywood, but overall it was excellent.

thank you.

[Image: bloodmachine2cc.gif]
Scott Miller   08-01-2006, 12:59 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]This film is a tad too cute, a tad too clever, a tad too arch, a tad too self conscious for its own good, but it's a LOT of fun.

Fun is definitely the operative word for it, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Downey and Kilmer had great chemistry with Kilmer consistently evoking chuckles from me. They, along with Shane Black, provide a commentary that I'm looking forward to listening to. Strap yourselves in for an entertaining ride.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Jamo   08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]
The Russian roulette scene made me laugh out loud (which feels really weird when you're sitting alone in the dark).
[/SIZE]

Oh yeah! The fim is G R E A T!!!
I watched it with my friend 1 or 2 weeks ago. The Roulette scene is "the killer" Big Grin (we say that sometimes in Germany when something is very good)

!!!!

I laughed the whole rest of the movie I think and always when I remember that scene Big Grin
So damn funny ^^

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Visit my private Portfolio on www.manufolio.de
Scott Hajek   03-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Finally watched this movie. Loved it!
Sometimes I have a hard time watching a movie like this. I watch them with headphones while my wife is asleep. I've disturbed her sleep at times with my laughter... the Russian Roulette scene reminded me of the scene in Pulp Fiction with the kid in the back seat of the car... I was the only person laughing in the entire theater. I know, I'm a sick, sick person.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
law dawg   03-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Finally watched this movie. Loved it!
Sometimes I have a hard time watching a movie like this. I watch them with headphones while my wife is asleep. I've disturbed her sleep at times with my laughter... the Russian Roulette scene reminded me of the scene in Pulp Fiction with the kid in the back seat of the car... I was the only person laughing in the entire theater. I know, I'm a sick, sick person.
Now go watch Brick and tell me which one you like better. Smile

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]This film is a tad too cute, a tad too clever, a tad too arch, a tad too self conscious for its own good, but it's a LOT of fun. Post-modern seems to be a passe term these days, but this would certainly fit the bill with its self referential storyline and constant breaking of the 4th wall. Robert Downey Jr, who I like a lot as an actor, is perfect for the lead.

But if you ain't into the tropes of Hollywood noir, you'll probably find it boring and confusing. Even then, you might find yourself scratching your head. Don't fret, just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's violent but it has its share of humor too. The Russian roulette scene made me laugh out loud (which feels really weird when you're sitting alone in the dark).

FF= 0[/SIZE]

Wonderful name for a band: The Tropes of Hollywood. One album and outtahere!
Scott Hajek   03-13-2007, 12:13 AM
law dawg Wrote:Now go watch Brick and tell me which one you like better. Smile

BRICK? Haven't heard of this one... but I'll hunt for it.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
law dawg   03-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:BRICK? Haven't heard of this one... but I'll hunt for it.
Independent movie, and one of the best movies I have ever seen. Really.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Pages (3): 1 2 3