Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Scott Miller   03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
law dawg Wrote:Now go watch Brick and tell me which one you like better. Smile

As someone who has seen both, I preferred KKBB. Brick was a good little indie flick that I'd recommend to anyone who appreciates that type of movie, but it lacked Downey Jr. and Kilmer's comic chemistry.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
law dawg   03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:As someone who has seen both, I preferred KKBB. Brick was a good little indie flick that I'd recommend to anyone who appreciates that type of movie, but it lacked Downey Jr. and Kilmer's comic chemistry.
True, it didn't really have much of a foil role (although the Brain was a pretty good role, IMO...).

Its just such a well-done movie, and, like KKBB, you need an insiders take to 100% "Get it". For Brick its early to mid 20th Century crime novels and patois. All the slang they use is old-school noir slang, in such a contrasting environment.

But you have to give the lead kid in Brick big props. He made that movie.

Personally, I have recommended Brick, KKBB and The Matador to a number of people, and in that order.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Scott Miller   03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
law dawg Wrote:Its just such a well-done movie, and, like KKBB, you need an insiders take to 100% "Get it". For Brick its early to mid 20th Century crime novels and patois. All the slang they use is old-school noir slang, in such a contrasting environment.

Are you sure we watched the same movie? Smile I recall(an iffy proposition at best) that what I liked most about the movie was that it created it's own noir language. It sounded old-fashioned, but it used a modern vernacular.

law dawg Wrote:But you have to give the lead kid in Brick big props. He made that movie.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is definitely someone to keep an eye on. I always like to see someone transition successfully from the small to big screen.

Scott

law dawg   03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Are you sure we watched the same movie? Smile I recall(an iffy proposition at best) that what I liked most about the movie was that it created it's own noir language. It sounded old-fashioned, but it used a modern vernacular.
Words like Bulls, gum, jake, etc. are all old-school detective words.

A review, in part:

They and all of the other characters that inhabit "Brick" speak in classic detective/gangster movie slang. Much like the HBO western series "Deadwood", the characters speak in dialogue reflective of their time period, in this case 1930's through 50's detective movies. Anyone not familiar with these films, frequented by James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart, will have a difficult time understanding what characters are saying or what the words they use mean. Johnson relies on the intelligence of the viewer in this department and it's a breath of fresh air. The characters in "Brick" don't sit around explaining the terms or words they are using as in 1984's Dune or in television's Alias. "Brick" drops you into a film noir world and you have to learn the associated slang along the way. Its not as arduous a task as understanding Shakespearean dialogue but its up there.

Quote:Joseph Gordon-Levitt is definitely someone to keep an eye on. I always like to see someone transition successfully from the small to big screen.
100% agree.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Scott Miller   03-15-2007, 11:19 PM
law dawg Wrote:Words like Bulls, gum, jake, etc. are all old-school detective words.

A review, in part:

They and all of the other characters that inhabit "Brick" speak in classic detective/gangster movie slang. Much like the HBO western series "Deadwood", the characters speak in dialogue reflective of their time period, in this case 1930's through 50's detective movies. Anyone not familiar with these films, frequented by James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart, will have a difficult time understanding what characters are saying or what the words they use mean. Johnson relies on the intelligence of the viewer in this department and it's a breath of fresh air. The characters in "Brick" don't sit around explaining the terms or words they are using as in 1984's Dune or in television's Alias. "Brick" drops you into a film noir world and you have to learn the associated slang along the way. Its not as arduous a task as understanding Shakespearean dialogue but its up there.

100% agree.

Apparently I'm going to have to watch it again.

Scott

bones weep tedium   03-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Brick is one of my all time favourite films. Interesting dialogue, realistic violence, creative and unusual camera work, an engaging plot, and a hard boiled protagonist who is just the right side of believeable to be watchable.

I try not to get too fanatic over things, but I must say I have watched Brick a half dozen times since I got the DVD from my partner at Christmas.
Scott Miller   03-22-2007, 08:41 AM
bones weep tedium Wrote:Brick is one of my all time favourite films. Interesting dialogue, realistic violence, creative and unusual camera work, an engaging plot, and a hard boiled protagonist who is just the right side of believeable to be watchable.

I try not to get too fanatic over things, but I must say I have watched Brick a half dozen times since I got the DVD from my partner at Christmas.

First off, glad you could finally make it on board, Bones Weep(and let me be the first to ask where that moniker comes from) and second, what is your take on the language: is it classic noir infused into a modern setting or modern language delivered in classic noir style?

Again, I liked the movie but not as much as either you or Law Dawg. I do plan on watching it again soon to see if I overlooked something.

Scott

Scott Miller   03-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Joseph Gordon-Levitt is definitely someone to keep an eye on. I always like to see someone transition successfully from the small to big screen.

Just saw a commercial for The Lookout starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt which looks pretty good. It also stars Jeff Daniels which means I will see it at some point as Jeff comes from the same small town as me and I see all his movies.

Scott

Maggers   03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:... Bones Weep(and let me be the first to ask where that moniker comes from) ...

You did ask first, Scott, but Bones gave us his neat answer in a "Glaeken" thread.

Maggers Wrote:Welcome! Your drawing is wonderful.

I'm curious about your sign in name...bones weep tedium. What's the story behind that? What does it mean?

HaroldDemure Wrote:i was wondering that myself. very cool drawing, by the way.

bones weep tedium Wrote:Thanks guys!

My user name BONES WEEP TEDIUM is one that I have used for years. When I first started going online when I was 15ish, I was going through a serious Crow phase. At the back of the graphic novel there are several pin up pages, one of which had an obscure german poem on it. Using my school German dictionary, I translated the poem word by word, and was disheartened to discover that this isnt the best way to translate poetry; it was almost totally incomprehensible!

The one phrase that stuck in my head was "The long knife, Pushed from grace, My bones weep tedium"

I needed to think of something obscure for my email address, and it was the first thing I thought of. It always gets a funny look when I give out my email, but everyone seems to think it's pretty intersting, so it has stuck to this day!
This post was last modified: 03-24-2007, 11:07 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   10-05-2008, 04:45 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]This film is a tad too cute, a tad too clever, a tad too arch, a tad too self conscious for its own good, but it's a LOT of fun. Post-modern seems to be a passe term these days, but this would certainly fit the bill with its self referential storyline and constant breaking of the 4th wall. Robert Downey Jr, who I like a lot as an actor, is perfect for the lead.

But if you ain't into the tropes of Hollywood noir, you'll probably find it boring and confusing. Even then, you might find yourself scratching your head. Don't fret, just sit back and enjoy the ride. It's violent but it has its share of humor too. The Russian roulette scene made me laugh out loud (which feels really weird when you're sitting alone in the dark).

FF= 0[/SIZE]

Today I saw "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" on rental DVD. It was funny and I enjoyed it.

But at first, this Japanese title was "L.A. Homicide", so I thought it's like "Hollywood Homicide". Then, I realized it's "KKBB". I disliked "Hollywood Homicide", but "KKBB" was a cool and stylish.

That Russian Roulette scene was priceless and I hysterically laughed! :xd:
Pages (3):    1 2 3