Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
law dawg   09-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I checked out Reign of Fire last night and was pleasantly surprised(I'd heard such terrible things about it), and it qualifies as a GF.

Others: American Psycho, Wrong Turn, Mystery Science Theater, Species.
Loved the Archangel scene. As a jumper myself it gave me a massive high.
Scott Miller   09-16-2005, 12:41 PM
law dawg Wrote:Loved the Archangel scene. As a jumper myself it gave me a massive high.

That was pretty awesome. How realistic was it? I've never jumped so I have no basis for comparison.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
law dawg   09-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:That was pretty awesome. How realistic was it? I've never jumped so I have no basis for comparison.
Jumping does NOT give one the sense of falling contrary to what you might think. You know you are falling but it doesn't feel that way. The reason for this is that you are jumping from a moving platform whereas in bungee jumping you jump from a stationary platform so you do get the sense of falling. Totally different sensation.

In skydiving you generally freefall for about a minute, which is one of the most amazing minutes you can have IMO.

As far as the movie goes, i don't think it is that realistic. I mean, I've never had a dragon try and eat me out of the air. Wink
jimbow8   09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
law dawg Wrote:Jumping does NOT give one the sense of falling contrary to what you might think. You know you are falling but it doesn't feel that way. The reason for this is that you are jumping from a moving platform whereas in bungee jumping you jump from a stationary platform so you do get the sense of falling. Totally different sensation.

In skydiving you generally freefall for about a minute, which is one of the most amazing minutes you can have IMO.

As far as the movie goes, i don't think it is that realistic. I mean, I've never had a dragon try and eat me out of the air. Wink
LOL! I hope not!

Is it really only a minute of freefall? How long is the "chutefall"? What do they call that part?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
law dawg   09-16-2005, 02:54 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:LOL! I hope not!

Is it really only a minute of freefall? How long is the "chutefall"? What do they call that part?
You generally freefall for about a minute but you must remember you are generally between 13,000-14,500 feet high and fall at over 120 mph to around 5,000-6,000 feet. Imagine that - you fall around 10,000 feet in less than a minute.

At 5,000-6,000 feet or so you deploy your canopy and float down. The canopy ride takes around 4-5 minutes.

Dragons can adversely affect any and all portions noted above.
Scott Miller   09-16-2005, 04:44 PM
law dawg Wrote:As far as the movie goes, i don't think it is that realistic. I mean, I've never had a dragon try and eat me out of the air. Wink

Ha, then you haven't really parachuted, have you?

I got the impression that they were HALO jumpers and I was wondering more about the visual sense of zipping through the clouds.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
law dawg   09-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Ha, then you haven't really parachuted, have you?

I got the impression that they were HALO jumpers and I was wondering more about the visual sense of zipping through the clouds.
Ah. I have never done a HALO. I have, however, jumped through clouds (small ones) and it is a wet sensation. Feels very good as usually when we jump in Texas it is hot as Hell!

If it is too cloudy the FAA does not allow jumps. I can't remember the exact altitude ceiling that is needed but it is generally above 10,000 ft I think. Also no high winds.
t4terrific   09-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I checked out Reign of Fire last night and was pleasantly surprised(I'd heard such terrible things about it), and it qualifies as a GF.

It was good. It had a few letdowns for me, but I liked it overall enough to buy the dvd.
Maggers   09-16-2005, 08:55 PM

As ususal, Scott, you've got great suggestions and great taste...'cause I like the stuff you suggest! Big Grin

I enjoyed "Reign of Fire," with 2 such yummy leads (Matthew McConaughey and Christian Bale), what's not to love? Plus I'm a sucker for what I call "dirty" movies....movies that take place after an apocalypse where water is scarce and no one can bathe and they all look dirty. They are almost always fun movies...almost.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Peter   09-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Um, Maggers, you like dirty movies? Just when you think you are getting to know someone.....
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7