Pages (2):    1 2
fpw   09-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Maggers Wrote:And where is poor Mary during all this racket? Wink

Hanging from the ceiling by her finger- and toenails.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Sam   09-13-2005, 09:30 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE=3](years in a garage band that played at 11 and headphones played at 12)

You were an original member of Spinal Tap?? Obviously not the drummer!! Big Grin

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
fpw   09-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Sam Wrote:You were an original member of Spinal Tap?? Obviously not the drummer!! Big Grin

I WAS the drummer, and drummers wind up closest to the goddamn speakers.

We kept changing our name so we could keep getting gigs. (We sucked.)

But we were loud. And we had a ball. And party people loved us because we were the consummate unprofessionals. (Don't ask.) It was 1963-66 and we were garage (we really did practice in our garages) and punk before the labels. Cross the Kingsmen with the Rolling Stones and The Jim Kweskin Jug Band, add a little Four Seasons (hey, we had a guy who liked to sing falsetto) and you'll have an idea.

In '64 the lead guitarist's father brought back the UK edition of the first Them album and we copped "Gloria." When Shadows of Knight covered it we had indignant fans coming up to us and saying, 'THEY STOLE YOUR SONG!"

Ah, thems was the days.
This post was last modified: 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Maggers   09-13-2005, 10:48 PM
fpw Wrote:I WAS the drummer, and drummers wind up closest to the goddamn speakers.

We kept changing our name so we could keep getting gigs. (We sucked.)

But we were loud. And we had a ball. And party people loved us because we were the consummate unprofessionals. (Don't ask.) It was 1963-66 and we were garage (we really did practice in our garages) and punk before the labels. Cross the Kingsmen with the Rolling Stones and The Jim Kweskin Jug Band, add a little Four Seasons (hey, we had a guy who liked to sing falsetto) and you'll have an idea.

In '64 the lead guitarist's father brought back the UK edition of the first Them album and we copped "Gloria." When Shadows of Knight covered it we had indignant fans coming up to us and saying, 'THEY STOLE YOUR SONG!"

Ah, thems was the days.

Sounds glorious, Paul. Thanks for sharing this with us. And what's wrong with the Four Seasons? Hey, they were Jersey boys, right? Barnagat Bay and all. Did any tapes survive?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   09-14-2005, 04:59 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE=3]I use it because I have bad hearing (years in a garage band that played at 11 and headphones played at 12)

Why not just make 10 the loudest...?

I watched Layer Cake a couple of weeks ago and i had to resort to the subtitles almost as soon as it began. It wasn't necessarily a bad movie, but I was expecting something much better. You'll be disappointed if you are expecting something on par with Lock, Stock...

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Gerald Rice   09-15-2005, 05:23 PM
fpw Wrote:I use it because I have bad hearing (years in a garage band that played at 11 and headphones played at 12) plus surround sound with a huge subwoofer. So I need the sound up for conversation, but then when people start shooting and things start exploding, my fillings loosen and I'm knocked out of my chair.

The numbers all go to 11 (that's the only line I know of Spinal Tap).
fpw   01-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Finally saw Layer Cake. Ultimately a disappointment. Maybe because I was expecting a caper along the lines of Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels and got nothing of the sort. Nothing wrong with a clichéd setup if you’re eventually going to turn it on its head. Layer Cake had twists and turns but was far too complicated for its own good. The low FF rating is due to my reluctance to use the button for fear I’d miss something that would clue me as to what the hell was going on. The accents were no help. I finally turned on the English subtitles.

FF= 1.5

FPW
FAQ
Charleswg   01-11-2006, 11:11 AM
those accents-

yep- if there were distractions, it's tough but otherwise....see, spend some time in Ireland or England and you have less issues, if any.

but overall, I liked the film, I liked Daniel Craig's character and it never hurst to have Sienna Miller in a movie, although to brief.

I suggest a very cool TV show, Keen Eddie. NYC cop in London. It was a short lived series on Fox, then Bravo. Lots of fun, cool sound tracks, great lines. And Sienna stars in the show.

CG
Pages (2):    1 2