RepairmanJack.com Forums
Layer Cake - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Layer Cake (/thread-1199.html)

Pages: 1 2

Layer Cake - Gerald Rice - 09-12-2005

Full of twists and turns and an interesting plot. The only problem for me is I only understood like 2 people- O'Brien from Star Trek and Broots from Carnivale. I don't know- I wish these guys would learn the language already.

Layer Cake - fpw - 09-12-2005

That's in my queue. L>ooking forward to it.

Layer Cake - Anders Monsen - 09-12-2005

I usually have no problem understanding Brit/Irish/Scot acccents, but even cranked relatively high on volume, I found this movie incomprehensible. I had hoped for a lot more out of Layer Cake, but ended up with my finger on the fast forward button for most of the movie.

Layer Cake - APhew - 09-12-2005

I watched this last weekend. Overall I enjoyed it. I haven't a clue why Sienna Miller was given top billing, she was in it for maybe 5 minutes tops. I didn't have too many problems with the dialects. The stuff I didn't catch didn't seem to matter, but I understood most of it. It was interesting to watch the alternate endings. I understand why they ended up with the one they did though.

"My name? If you knew that, you'd be as clever as me."

Layer Cake - t4terrific - 09-12-2005

Anders Monsen Wrote:I usually have no problem understanding Brit/Irish/Scot acccents, but even cranked relatively high on volume, I found this movie incomprehensible. I had hoped for a lot more out of Layer Cake, but ended up with my finger on the fast forward button for most of the movie.

...so your FF rating would be high (low) then?

Anders Monsen Wrote:I usually have no problem understanding Brit/Irish/Scot acccents, but even cranked relatively high on volume, I found this movie incomprehensible. I had hoped for a lot more out of Layer Cake, but ended up with my finger on the fast forward button for most of the movie.

I'll see if they have English subtitles (they often do for us deafies)

Layer Cake - Maggers - 09-12-2005

fpw Wrote:I'll see if they have English subtitles (they often do for us deafies)

I haven't seen this particular film, but I've often used the English subtitle function on British or Irish films with heavy Irish or Cockney accents. It's a very helpful function, even though Dave has laughed at me because I need it. Wink

Maggers Wrote:I haven't seen this particular film, but I've often used the English subtitle function on British or Irish films with heavy Irish or Cockney accents. It's a very helpful function, even though Dave has laughed at me because I need it. Wink

I use it because I have bad hearing (years in a garage band that played at 11 and headphones played at 12) plus surround sound with a huge subwoofer. So I need the sound up for conversation, but then when people start shooting and things start exploding, my fillings loosen and I'm knocked out of my chair.

Layer Cake - Maggers - 09-12-2005

fpw Wrote:I use it because I have bad hearing (years in a garage band that played at 11 and headphones played at 12) plus surround sound with a huge subwoofer. So I need the sound up for conversation, but then when people start shooting and things start exploding, my fillings loosen and I'm knocked out of my chair.

And where is poor Mary during all this racket? Wink

Layer Cake - Anders Monsen - 09-13-2005

Subtitles might work. There's some good music, particularly the opening--The Cult (She Sells Sanctuary)--and closing tunes--the superb Lisa Gerrard-- but the problem with turning up the volume to hear what's going on is that suddenly the mumbling dialog is interrupted with clashing and banging of electronical pulses a la Kylie Minogue. Aside from the dialog, the plot at time was equally muted and rambling. The plot twists at the end provided some bright touches.