Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
jimbow8   09-01-2005, 11:11 AM
I actually like to read negative reviews more than the positive sometimes. Not only for a little humor sometimes, but because they often contain info that I would like to know. A thorough critique should contain both the positive and negative opinions. The positive reviews are just as exclusive in often only praising a work but not giving any full criticism.

If you buy a TV, you will want to know all the nice features it has, but you will also want to know which problems people have had and what they don't like about it.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   09-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Marc B. Wrote:At least it wasn't as mindless a review as "It sucked!" He defended his opinion. I disagree with his assessment of the story but he's entitled to his opinion just like us.

Exactly.

I get the feeling the poor guy was expecting something PC. You don't go to RJ for PC. (And what's a bigger cliche these days than the appropriately racially balanced street gang and the corrupt cop? I decided to go against that grain.)

Apparently it pissed him off enough to trash it and quibble about typos. And that's good. Nothing better than pissing off the PC types.
This post was last modified: 09-01-2005, 11:41 AM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Blake   09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Okay, I'm not sure if the reviewer named Jane Smith is on this board, and it's nice she posted a positive review, but I have to admit I laughed at this combination of sentences:

Jane Smith review Wrote:Plenty of FPWs "bad" characters have covered the range of human colors on this planet. (Lighten up already!!)

Sorry, but I just enjoy puns, even unintentional ones! Smile

Blake
This post was last modified: 09-01-2005, 11:20 AM by Blake.

Please support Friends of Washoe.
jimbow8   09-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Blake Wrote:Okay, I'm not sure if the reviewer named Jane Smith is on this board, and it's nice she posted a positive review, but I have to admit I laughed at this combination of sentences:

Sorry, but I just enjoy puns, even unintentional ones! Smile

Blake
Took me a minute, but, yes, that is funny. Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Biggles   09-01-2005, 01:21 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I haven't read this story, so I can't comment directly on it, but the guy just has a differing opinion. He didn't like it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't or won't. So what!

We all obviously LOVE RJ. Others don't. To each his own.

I disagree. I think we should find him and tar and feather him!
:mad:
Just kidding. Big Grin

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Biggles   09-01-2005, 01:24 PM
fpw Wrote:

Apparently it pissed him off enough to trash it and quibble about typos. And that's good. Nothing better than pissing off the PC types.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a law partner once who swore by Macs, and as a PC type, he really pissed me off.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
nonsun blob a   09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
what was he reveiwing? i've never really heard of typos like that getting through an editor. although i bought return of the boogey man last night for 4 bucks and there were a few places on the back of the case where they'd forgotten to put spaces between words. and i've never seen "wet" contain an h before, though terry's probably well versed in editorish and old english.

regardless, i've never read a mystery novel whose main character was as interesting and truly a CHARACTER as repairman jack. so cliche my ass, terry needs to take whatever it is that's edged and probably spiky out of his.

[Image: bloodmachine2cc.gif]
t4terrific   09-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Biggles Wrote:I think we should find him and tar and feather him!
:mad:
Just kidding. Big Grin

Just kidding? Glad I saw that. I was getting the tar piping hot and preparing to pluck some chickens for the tar-and-feather party!
dejo   09-01-2005, 03:14 PM
As much as I loved this short story (read it last night before going to bed; even though it's short, I still had to finish it before sleepy-time), he is correct about the sneakers vs. boots and, I too, noticed a few typos. Did they detract from an otherwise excellent RJ piece? Not to me. But I usually don't get all hung up on such things. This was the closest to having his carefully manicured non-existence destroyed I've seen Jack, and all for trying to "do the right thing". Loved it!
Susan   09-01-2005, 04:04 PM
dejo Wrote:As much as I loved this short story (read it last night before going to bed; even though it's short, I still had to finish it before sleepy-time), he is correct about the sneakers vs. boots and, I too, noticed a few typos. Did they detract from an otherwise excellent RJ piece? Not to me. But I usually don't get all hung up on such things. This was the closest to having his carefully manicured non-existence destroyed I've seen Jack, and all for trying to "do the right thing". Loved it!

A word on typos:

No matter how much editing you do or how many people read the story before it goes to press or e-book, there will always be typos. I design and layout books, so I can tell you this from experience. However, it should be easy to edit an e-book and then resubmit it to Amazon (if Da Man is so inclined).

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4