Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
smithers52   05-28-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm gonna list some films that people have heard of but felt that they're worth watching:

Lagaan: It's a great Hindhi film that came out a couple years ago. It was nominated for a best foreign picture as well. It doesn't feature that much cheesy singing like one would typically expect from an Indian film.

The Birdcage: Funny film with Robin Williams. The last half hour with the awkward scene at the dinner table is comic gold.

A.I. : Great film from Steven Spielberg. Although it's interesting to see what Kubrick would have done, the film is worth checking out. It has some nice concepts on love, humanity and the downside of mechanization, nice performances and a great score.

Mr. Show: A hilarious sketch comedy show from the late 90's that aired on HBO. Starring David Cross and Bob Odenkirk.

Upright Citizen's Brigade: Another hilarious sketch comedy that aired on Comedy Central then was canceled after a couple seasons. Featured Amy Poehler before she went on to do Saturday Night Live (Which sucks horribly now).Truly brilliant.

And finally a movie that isn't even *good* in any way but so terrible it's funny to watch: Howard the Duck. It's a favorite guilty pleasure of mine and it makes me laugh in it's 80's campiness. George Lucas produced it remember?
Maggers   05-28-2005, 09:56 AM
smithers52 Wrote:A.I. : Great film from Steven Spielberg. Although it's interesting to see what Kubrick would have done, the film is worth checking out. It has some nice concepts on love, humanity and the downside of mechanization, nice performances and a great score.

I suspect with "A.I." you either love it or hate it. I'm in the latter category. If I were to make a list of the 10 films that I could not bear, which is different from a 10 worst list, I'd have to add "A.I." to it.

A films-that-I-could-not-bear-list would be movies that I acknowledge are well done, well directed, perhaps even very well acted and written, but just did not click with me- in a big way.

I could barely get through "AI," and it's a long film to sit through if you don't agree with it's basic premise, i.e., that a mother's love is worth anything. At least, that's what I saw.

There is much about the film that is wondrous and I tip my hat to it all. But (*gag*) I dislike this movie - a whole lot.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Peter   05-28-2005, 10:04 AM
The only one I know of starred Bob Peck and Joe Don Baker. The plot concerned a UK policeman looking into the death of his daughter and just got deeper and deeper into political/ecogolical issues. I have never seen it on DVD but talking about it again has inspired me to search!
Peter   05-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I know just what you mean Maggers. I will probably get flamed for this but anyone remember Chariots of Fire? Got a truck load of Oscars and I could see why. Acting, filming, music all terrific but just a dull, dull film. Then you get something like Diehard. I can see why it didnt win any Oscars but which one would you rather watch?
Maggers   05-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Peter Wrote:I know just what you mean Maggers. I will probably get flamed for this but anyone remember Chariots of Fire? Got a truck load of Oscars and I could see why. Acting, filming, music all terrific but just a dull, dull film. Then you get something like Diehard. I can see why it didnt win any Oscars but which one would you rather watch?

OMG, you must be in my brain! I so agree!

"Chariots" was nigh to unendurable, it just went on and on and on and ..... much ado about nothing.

I just saw a promo for "Diehard" the other night; it'll be on TV over the holiday weekend (it's Memorial Day Weekend here in the US, the unofficial start of summer). The promo flew by in a nanosecond but made me want to see the movie again, and I've seen it about a zillion times.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lisa   05-28-2005, 12:31 PM
The TV series Farscape is excellent.

Lisa
Flinx   05-30-2005, 08:47 AM
AsMoral Wrote:This might sound a bit cheesy, but a TV series I recently bought on DVD is The Greatest American Hero. It is full of 80's cliche, being the end of the cold war era it is fun to see how we viewed communist issues. It is also fun to see cameos by actors who went on to greater things.

The show is surprisingly well written and the flying efects stand up rather well. The show is funny and has sharp dialogue and I never payed much attention at the time becuase I was a wee child in the 1st grade, but robert Culp is quite an actor.

I would reccomend the first and second season on DVD, especially if you grew up on the show as I did. Ah, the memories.
I'm hoping this will be released in Australia, otherwise I will have to order from the US.
jimbow8   05-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Flinx Wrote:I'm hoping this will be released in Australia, otherwise I will have to order from the US.
What region DVDs does Australia use? Or do you have a Region 0 player?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-30-2005, 11:51 AM
smithers52 Wrote:I'm gonna list some films that people have heard of but felt that they're worth watching:

Lagaan: It's a great Hindhi film that came out a couple years ago. It was nominated for a best foreign picture as well. It doesn't feature that much cheesy singing like one would typically expect from an Indian film.

The Birdcage: Funny film with Robin Williams. The last half hour with the awkward scene at the dinner table is comic gold.

A.I. : Great film from Steven Spielberg. Although it's interesting to see what Kubrick would have done, the film is worth checking out. It has some nice concepts on love, humanity and the downside of mechanization, nice performances and a great score.

Mr. Show: A hilarious sketch comedy show from the late 90's that aired on HBO. Starring David Cross and Bob Odenkirk.

Upright Citizen's Brigade: Another hilarious sketch comedy that aired on Comedy Central then was canceled after a couple seasons. Featured Amy Poehler before she went on to do Saturday Night Live (Which sucks horribly now).Truly brilliant.

And finally a movie that isn't even *good* in any way but so terrible it's funny to watch: Howard the Duck. It's a favorite guilty pleasure of mine and it makes me laugh in it's 80's campiness. George Lucas produced it remember?

Oh, God, was HOWARD THE DUCK awful. Yet the Marvel comic was pretty good. It might have been a period-piece, but I remember LOL at some issues.
Flinx   05-31-2005, 06:58 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:What region DVDs does Australia use? Or do you have a Region 0 player?
Australia is region 4. I have my computer set to play region 1 DVDs plus I just recently found that my mum's DVD player is multi-region.

I already have a few region 1 DVDs that I bought either because they weren't released here or had special features that the local release doesn't. A good example is The Princess Bride, no special features for the local release but plenty for the region 1.
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4