Marc   05-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Malevolence was a movie I was really looking forward to seeing. Unfortunately, the full 90 minutes lacks any real scares and is about as original as a Disney cartoon.

Synopsis from Netflix: A deranged serial killer targets brazen bank robbers in this bloody horror flick staring Brandon Johnson, Heather Magee, Richard Glover and Samantha Dark. After a botched bank heist, a gang of criminals takes a young mother and daughter hostage, holing up in what they think is a deserted farmhouse. But the police are the least of the crooks' worries as the murderous madman in residence begins exterminating his unwanted guests.

So what does this film have going for it? A group of young actors that have potential but are somewhat lacking in experience. Generally, the actors do a decent job.

And that's about all. There is no creative fiber in this picture at all. It looks more like a fourth rate Halloween, one that probably shouldn't have been made. The music is atrocious and sounds like it belongs in a late 70's or early 80's horror film. The film isn't all that bloody nor are there any real scares. If you've seen any horror film in the past thirty years you know what's coming.

If the filmmakers had decided to go with a faceless killer I would give this film a little more respect, but the reveal of who the killer is is pointless, stupid and lacks no motivation. You're left scratching your head.

If you want to revisit a classic horror film in a contemporary setting then give Malevolence a try. For everyone else avoid this lackluster attempt at horror.
jimbow8   05-27-2005, 09:11 AM
That sucks. I was looking forward to a good review from you this morning. Sad I'm going to give this one a try anyway. I tend to be pretty lenient towards horror movies, with exceptions like Darkness Falls.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Marc   05-27-2005, 09:47 AM
I was very disappointed. What more can be said? I look forward to your thoughts. (Oh... and the line used in the preview, "We have a lot of unhappy endings up here" is the best line in the entire movie.)
jimbow8   05-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Marc B. Wrote:I was very disappointed. What more can be said? I look forward to your thoughts. (Oh... and the line used in the preview, "We have a lot of unhappy endings up here" is the best line in the entire movie.)
I haven't actually seen ANY previews or reviews (other than yours) of this movie, so I have NO expectations. Maybe that will help. I'll post my thoughts when they become available. Smile

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
jimbow8   06-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Watched this last night. I don't know if I disliked it as much as you, but I definitely disliked it. I didn't remember your reference, but I almost immediately recognized this as a Halloween rip-off. Interestingly, I think the first correllation was the soundtrack/sound effects. The synth style is also almost a direct rip-off of Carpenter's soundtrack (which I love and own, BTW). There was no exposition of the plot at all in this movie; events seemed to happen just because things like that happen in a horror movie - and we, the viewer, are just supposed to accept that. I totally agree with the reveal of the killer, but I will also add that they had to explain who it was with a flashback - not a good sign. Honestly, the part I found most interesting was the African-American FBI (?) guy reading through the journals at the end of the film. Add some of those events as exposition, and it may have been a better film.

One positive I will mention though: The sound was very good. The thunderstorm at the beginning sounded incredible on my system and some of the ambient sound effects were also very good. The fact that I noticed these things is also indicative of how bland the movie was.