Pages (14):    1 2 3 4 5 6 14   
Scott Miller   05-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Every single one of the Star Wars movies, with the exception of Star Wars, gave me exactly what I wanted out of them; a couple of hours of escapist entertainment. Somewhere along the line, people came to expect these films to be something other than that and they began to suffer the popularity backlash. That said, I also recognize many of the shortcomings that have already been mentioned, but they don't seem to bother me much because I am there to for a sonic experience and loads of fun, not nuanced acting or great dialogue. If that is your expectation then you haven't been watching from the beginning because they have never been there.

I say Star Wars didn't meet my expectations simply because I didn't have any. It is the only one of the six that I truly consider to be great.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Marc   05-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Here is a review of Revenge of the Sith from Locus Magazine.

Click here to read the review.
jimbow8   05-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Here is a review of Revenge of the Sith from Locus Magazine.

Click here to read the review.
It's a good review. I disagree with some of it, but that's fine.

I especially like:

No longer does [Anakin] gracelessly flail his way through Lucas' atrocious dialogue in a way that makes you think we all owe Mark Hamill an apology....

and

Anakin and Padme's love simply can't carry the gravitas necessary to drive the story of StarJesus turning into SpaceHitler.

That's some funny stuff.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Jay #1   05-24-2005, 05:22 PM
At least we know it wasn't one of those one night stand things that most movies these days seem to insist upon in order for a hero to be born and raised.
Maggers   05-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Forgive me. I just heard this on Jay Leno and fell off my chair laughing.

What do you call a Jedi gynecologist?

OB-GYN Kenobi

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   05-25-2005, 02:55 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Every single one of the Star Wars movies, with the exception of Star Wars, gave me exactly what I wanted out of them; a couple of hours of escapist entertainment. Somewhere along the line, people came to expect these films to be something other than that and they began to suffer the popularity backlash. That said, I also recognize many of the shortcomings that have already been mentioned, but they don't seem to bother me much because I am there to for a sonic experience and loads of fun, not nuanced acting or great dialogue. If that is your expectation then you haven't been watching from the beginning because they have never been there.

I say Star Wars didn't meet my expectations simply because I didn't have any. It is the only one of the six that I truly consider to be great.

Some of us tend to over-analyze things.

Ken - does it himself - V.
Ken Valentine   05-25-2005, 02:58 AM
Maggers Wrote:Forgive me. I just heard this on Jay Leno and fell off my chair laughing.

What do you call a Jedi gynecologist?

OB-GYN Kenobi

Good thing I have an extra keyboard.

Splorked Pepsi all over the other one.

Ken V.
smithers52   05-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I say Star Wars didn't meet my expectations simply because I didn't have any. It is the only one of the six that I truly consider to be great.

I think Empire still holds up well to this day. It does after all go into greater depth of it's characters and ends on a somber note, making it the most mature of the original three. John Williams's score for the film is also one of his greatest scores ever composed.
Scott Miller   05-25-2005, 03:49 AM
smithers52 Wrote:I think Empire still holds up well to this day. It does after all go into greater depth of it's characters and ends on a somber note, making it the most mature of the original three. John Williams's score for the film is also one of his greatest scores ever composed.

For me, I guess, I didn't need any greater exploration of character. Everything about Star Wars is stock, except for the setting and the effects. I thought that the actors understood perfectly that they were playing one-dimensional characters, had a blast doing so and that translated to me having a blast watching.

I thought Maggers brought up a valid criticism when she wrote:
Maggers Wrote:Each prequel seemed more self important and ponderous than the last. There is a lugubriousness about this last one that was hard to take.

That said, there are so many wonderful inventions, monsters and settings throughout the entire series that they will always be something I view from time to time.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
jimbow8   05-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Good thing I have an extra keyboard.

Splorked Pepsi all over the other one.

Ken V.
You sure do go through a lot of keyboards. Do you buy them in bulk? Get a "splork discount"?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (14):    1 2 3 4 5 6 14