Pages (2):    1 2
jimbow8   04-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:I don't think he meant Holliday was gay. I think he meant Holliday was baiting him. I imagine men were homophobes back then too and another man making vague challenges to his sexual orientation would be enough to throw him just a tad off his game when it came to a gunfight.
OK, I got ya. But I still think it was a challenge to his talent as a gunfighter (as seen later in the movie) as described in my previous post. He constantly baits Ringo throughout the entire movie like this.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
KRW   04-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Okay, I've left you hangin on long enough.

I met a guy this weekend, for a job. We spent about twenty minutes going over the job he wants. We spent the next hour talking ghost towns and gunfighters and (anything old west associated, seems he's been doing old west research all his life) I know my shit, but he is die hard! Long story short, we where on the topic of Doc Holliday! Apperantly Doc never made it to his grave site,they buried him on the way to it. He's probably in someones back yard. Interesting! He went on to rave about the movie "Tombstone" and the line "I'm your huckleberry" (Thanks for the correction Jim) came up. The term has been changed a bit since then. It should say I'm your "Hucklebearer"!

What? :confused: Yeah I said the same thing.

He went on to explain that a "huckle" was a handle on a coffin, and the man that used this handle was a "hucklebearer". (Basicaly a polebearer)

I guess you could say say Doc told Ringo, "I'm gonna kill you and carry you to your grave to make sure!

KRW
Mick C.   04-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Here's another explanation, from the Tombstone FAQ: http://members.cox.net/tombstone/faq.html

What is the Meaning of "I'm Your Hucklebery?"

In Days of Destiny's "Mass Lynching," It is claimed that on August 28th, 1885, 9 people were taken by a mob intent on performing justice, and hung at a tree close to Tombstone. One of these soon to be lynchees was a gambler known only as "Joe," and at 3 that morning, four men burst upon him dealing cards, and leveled guns at him. Joe responded quickly, saying "Well then, I suppose I am your huckleberry!"
As Joe was dead within hours, no one could figure what exactly he was talking about....

I'd say that Barbara LYFORD (<btlyford@sbcglobal.net) basically answers the question, though:
"Huckleberry" was commonly used in the 1800's in conjunction with "persimmon" as a small unit of measure. "I'm a huckleberry over your persimmon" meant "I'm just a bit better than you." As a result, "huckleberry" came to denote idiomatically two things. First, it denoted a small unit of measure, a "tad," as it were, and a person who was a huckleberry could be a small, unimportant person--usually expressed ironically in mock self-depreciation. The second and more common usage came to mean, in the words of the "Dictionary of American Slang: Second Supplemented Edition" (Crowell, 1975):
"A man; specif., the exact kind of man needed for a particular purpose. 1936: "Well, I'm your huckleberry, Mr. Haney." Tully, "Bruiser," 37. Since 1880, archaic.
The "Historical Dictionary of American Slang" which is a multivolume work, has about a third of a column of citations documenting this meaning all through the latter 19th century.
So "I'm your huckleberry" means "I'm just the man you're looking for!"

Now ain't that a daisy!

The story about Doc's grave is correct - his body is buried in what is now the suburb of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, which has expanded to the area around the cemetery. Winter weather prevented the hearse cart from making it up the hill to the cemetary, so they buried him at the foot of the mesa below Linwood Cemetery.

Here's something odd: Doc was played by a lot of different actors in TV and movies over the years - Cesar Romero, Martin Landau, Victor Mature, Kirk Douglas, Jason Robards, Stacy Keach, Dennis Hopper (I liked Val Kilmer's performance, but still think Dennis Quaid turned in the best performance in "Wyatt Earp")...

Who played Doc in more different TV shows than any other actor? (It is not someone you would probably associate with the character.)

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Scott Miller   04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Mick C. Wrote:The story about Doc's grave is correct - his body is buried in what is now the suburb of Glenwood Springs, Colorado, which has expanded to the area around the cemetery. Winter weather prevented the hearse cart from making it up the hill to the cemetary, so they buried him at the foot of the mesa below Linwood Cemetery.

My lack of computer savvy is really hurting now as I have a picture of Holiday's tombstone from the Linwwood Cemetery.

Holiday was in Glenwood to take in the steam caves, the cutting edge of medicine back then, created by the Yampa Hot Springs. The caves are now commercialized, but are still pretty cool. In fact Glenwood is a fantastic little city with the caves, hot spring pool, rivers, mountains and Hanging Lake. Hanging Lake is one of the most gorgeous places I have ever been to, and you all just might get to see a picture of it soon, it all depends on Kenji.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Mick C.   04-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Mick C. Wrote:Here's something odd: Doc was played by a lot of different actors in TV and movies over the years - Cesar Romero, Martin Landau, Victor Mature, Kirk Douglas, Jason Robards, Stacy Keach, Dennis Hopper (I liked Val Kilmer's performance, but still think Dennis Quaid turned in the best performance in "Wyatt Earp")...

Who played Doc in more different TV shows than any other actor? (It is not someone you would probably associate with the character.)

What, no one wants to guess?

Adam West.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Pages (2):    1 2