RepairmanJack.com Forums
I'll be your Huckleberry! - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: I'll be your Huckleberry! (/thread-898.html)

Pages: 1 2

I'll be your Huckleberry! - KRW - 04-24-2005

I think everyone knows Val Kilmors Line as he's playing Doc Halliiday in Tombstone, "I'll be Your Huckleleberry". But does anyone know what it means? I do! Let's hear some guesses before I give up the answer! (BTW, I just learned this today)

I'll be your Huckleberry! - Maggers - 04-24-2005

KRW Wrote:I think everyone knows Val Kilmors Line as he's playing Doc Halliiday in Tombstone, "I'll be Your Huckleleberry". But does anyone know what it means? I do! Let's hear some guesses before I give up the answer! (BTW, I just learned this today)

I associate huckleberry, other than the fruit, with Mark Twain and Huck Finn. I suspect it may have something to do with close friendship, the kind that Huck and Tom Sawyer had. Also, "huckleberry friend" is a phrase in one of my favorite songs, "Moon River."

Maybe it refers to a stand up guy, someone who'll be there for you when you need him?

I'll be your Huckleberry! - Flinx - 04-25-2005

Try this link.

I'll be your Huckleberry! - ShadowLord - 04-25-2005

Would this be -- a champion receiving the "huckleberry garland" from a lady he intends to defend or joust for in old times?
Hence -- by being a Huckelberry you become a ladies champion or defender.

ShadowLord

I'll be your Huckleberry! - jimbow8 - 04-25-2005

I found a link similar to the one Flinx posted that stated the comparison to persimmon. In other words, "I am just a little better than you are" or "I'm just the person you are looking for."

BTW, Doc Holiday says "I'm your huckleberry." (not "I'll be" - sorry, it's just one of my favorite movies Wink)

I'll be your Huckleberry! - fpw - 04-25-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:I found a link similar to the one Flinx posted that stated the comparison to persimmon. In other words, "I am just a little better than you are" or "I'm just the person you are looking for."

The way Doc said it, my guess was it had homosexual connotations.

fpw Wrote:The way Doc said it, my guess was it had homosexual connotations.
NEVER crossed my mind and nowhere else in the movie are there (unless you can cite some examples) any other allusions to such a thing. Are there rumors of Holiday's being homosexual? So I'd have to disagree.

I'll be your Huckleberry! - The Mad American - 04-25-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:NEVER crossed my mind and nowhere else in the movie are there (unless you can cite some examples) any other allusions to such a thing. Are there rumors of Holiday's being homosexual? So I'd have to disagree.

There are some great lines in that movie, pretty much all by Doc.

When they are trying to bait Earp into a fight and he tells them he is retired, they ask Doc Holiday what about you? and he says "Not me, I am in my prime.." as he coughs and sputters.

Then the "I do believe you are the devil" to his girlfriend...good stuff.

Perhaps my favorite exchange:

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Why do you do it?
Doc Holliday: Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: I don't.

Kilmer should have gotten an Academy Award for that performance, IMHO.

I'll be your Huckleberry! - Gerald Rice - 04-25-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:NEVER crossed my mind and nowhere else in the movie are there (unless you can cite some examples) any other allusions to such a thing. Are there rumors of Holiday's being homosexual? So I'd have to disagree.

I don't think he meant Holliday was gay. I think he meant Holliday was baiting him. I imagine men were homophobes back then too and another man making vague challenges to his sexual orientation would be enough to throw him just a tad off his game when it came to a gunfight.