Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
jimbow8   03-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Kenji Wrote:I wanna see McCammon's "They Thirst" movie version. That'll be great movie.
Yeah, ditto. And Simon Clark's "Vampyrrhic."

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
KRW   03-17-2005, 02:16 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Yeah, ditto. And Simon Clark's "Vampyrrhic."

I would like to see McCammons "Swan Song"!

Personal note Jim, why are you in stealth mode? Part of the fun for me is knowing who is logged in. Smile

KRW
Mike   03-17-2005, 02:38 AM
KRW Wrote:I would like to see McCammons "Swan Song"!

Personal note Jim, why are you in stealth mode? Part of the fun for me is knowing who is logged in. Smile

KRW

Ditto for me on "Swan Song". McCammon has been a great author and it is truly unfortunate that he has ceased to write. Swan Song was his best work, but I cannot see them making a movie unless it was, like "The Stand", made into a mini-series.
Maggers   03-17-2005, 02:39 AM
KRW Wrote:...Personal note Jim, why are you in stealth mode? Part of the fun for me is knowing who is logged in. Smile

KRW

I agree, Ken, it's fun to check and see who's on the board. Sometimes I sit here like a fool and wave hello...yeah, like anyone can see! Talk about corny! Duh.. :o

It's easy to figure out who's in stealth mode. Check the profile, and if "last activity" with the time of last activity is not listed, if only "offline" is listed on the upper right, that person is in stealth mode and may or may not actually be active on the board.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   03-17-2005, 02:47 AM
I think I turned it on while I was in "let's see what everything does" phase and never turned it back off. Kinda like every once in a while I change the Forum Skin because sometimes you can't read some things (i.e. white text on white background). I'll turn it off.

And... I didn't like Swan Song so much. I much preferred They Thirst. But then I'm a vampire fan.
This post was last modified: 03-17-2005, 02:55 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Jay #1   03-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Robert Ludlums Road To Omaha, and Road to Gandolpho. Wouldn't mind seeing either one or both in movies.
cyber-jack   03-17-2005, 11:32 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:[QUOTE=cyber-jack]
I think they were pretty good for TV miniseries. If they were made into theatrical movies, they would be much to short and leave too much out. So it's a matter of sacrificing quality by making a TV movie or sacrificing parts of the story by making a theatrical movie.

The Shining (with Brian from WINGS) was pretty good too, though they seemed to have diluted the horror aspects of the story a bit too much for my tastes.

They are making a TV miniseries for Desperation that I am looking forward to. Check out the casting for this movie:

Desperation

Desperation was originally slated for May of '05 on ABC, but now it looks like it won't air until November or, possibly, as late as May of '06. Mick Garris (The Stand) directs, so it should be pretty good.

While I already agree with you that both The Stand and It were good considering the TV format, both could have been much better as an HBO or Showtime mini-series. Neither would have worked on the big screen, as they are much too long to condense. Same is true for Desperation, and would be for Insomnia or any of his longer works.

Have you seen any of the screen shots for Desperation? Check out www.liljas-library.com for some good pics from the set.
RepairmanTom   03-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I have to agree with Jimbo, "Light at the End" by Skipp & Spector was one of the first that came to mind also. (Good taste old chap!)

I'd like to add my own "laundry list" of possible projects too.

In regards to "series" characters (ala Jack):
1) I'd love to see any of the Burke books by Andrew Vachss-probably too gritty for the squeaky cleaners in Tinseltown though.
2) Ditto for Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake stuff-though IMO,the later books are way too sex-drenched.
3) The Asimov Elijah Bailey "Robot" novels,though they may have been spoiled by the "I,Robot" movie,which borrowed a bit from these works,and had to go & "Hollywood" the ideas up.
4) Simon Green's "Nightside" tales with John Taylor. Again,though, "Constantine" comparisons would be inevitable there.

I have a sentimental fondness for Heroic Fantasy tales (grew up reading Robert E. Howard),and Howard's Solomon Kane has always been a favorite (though I shudder to think of the result after enduring "Kull" & the "Conan" movies!). Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Gray Mouser would do nicely,as well as Moorcock's Elric. And anything by David Gemmell!

For stand alone stuff, I particularly enjoyed "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. I thought it was one of his best in awhile,and would adapt well to the screen.

And finally non-fiction wise, "Psychic Warrior" by David Morehouse is pretty compelling stuff. Seems there was a movie recently featuring a remote viewer,but I can't remember what the title is. Anyone know? Anyhow the whole "remote viewing" thing just turns my crank for whatever reason.

Now,if we could only figure out who is going to play Jack...
Gerald Rice   03-21-2005, 05:20 PM
RepairmanTom Wrote:I have to agree with Jimbo, "Light at the End" by Skipp & Spector was one of the first that came to mind also. (Good taste old chap!)

I'd like to add my own "laundry list" of possible projects too.

In regards to "series" characters (ala Jack):
1) I'd love to see any of the Burke books by Andrew Vachss-probably too gritty for the squeaky cleaners in Tinseltown though.
2) Ditto for Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake stuff-though IMO,the later books are way too sex-drenched.
3) The Asimov Elijah Bailey "Robot" novels,though they may have been spoiled by the "I,Robot" movie,which borrowed a bit from these works,and had to go & "Hollywood" the ideas up.
4) Simon Green's "Nightside" tales with John Taylor. Again,though, "Constantine" comparisons would be inevitable there.

I have a sentimental fondness for Heroic Fantasy tales (grew up reading Robert E. Howard),and Howard's Solomon Kane has always been a favorite (though I shudder to think of the result after enduring "Kull" & the "Conan" movies!). Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Gray Mouser would do nicely,as well as Moorcock's Elric. And anything by David Gemmell!

For stand alone stuff, I particularly enjoyed "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. I thought it was one of his best in awhile,and would adapt well to the screen.

And finally non-fiction wise, "Psychic Warrior" by David Morehouse is pretty compelling stuff. Seems there was a movie recently featuring a remote viewer,but I can't remember what the title is. Anyone know? Anyhow the whole "remote viewing" thing just turns my crank for whatever reason.

Now,if we could only figure out who is going to play Jack...

The movie on remote viewing is Suspect Zero, starring Ben Kingsley, Carey-Ann Moss and Aaron Eckhart.
randalthor   03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I'd love to see a Wheel of Time series, theatrical. This would take a lot of work, but I'd expect there's enough actors and actresses to devote 10 years to the cause. Now would be the perfect time to start, since the LotR series was so recently successful. I'd also like to see the Dune series remade, the TV miniseries was rather unimpressive. And, the Dark Tower series would probably be one I'd see--dont expect much from it though if it ever happens, too many details are too important for it to work well.
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4