Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8
Mick C.   02-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Maggers Wrote:It's not at all scary, but there's the lovely, old black and white movie with Rex Harrision, "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir." I like stories about falling in love with ghosts.

I remember reading an incredible book when I was about 13 or 14, called "The Tryst." I don't remember who wrote it, but I LOVED IT! A young woman falls for a ghost and they try to make it work. Man, I'd love to find that book again.

Maggers, the book you're describing is probably "Tryst" by Elswyth Thane which was first published in 1939.

From the back cover blurb of the 1974 PB edition:

(*SPOILERS FOLLOW*)

Lovely 17-year old Sabrina lives in the rented country estate, Nuns Farthing, with the rest of her dysfunctional family---her bitter father, Alan, and her fusty spinster aunt, Effie. From the moment the door of the room at the top of the stairs is opened for her by sympathetic and sensitive housekeeper, Mrs Pilton, imaginative and lonely Sabrina conjurs up an entire history revolving around the room's previous inhabitant, Hilary Shenstone. The Shenstones own Nuns Farthing and the youngest son, Hilary is off in India carrying on in his father's dangerous tradition of intrepid Englishman working for the Home Office. As Sabrina thumbs through Hilary's library at home, we glimpse a bit of the adventure of Hilary's life as his plane goes down miles away from Nuns Farthing. Instantaneously, thoughts of his childhood mysteriously and irrationally capture his mind, and Hilary finds this inexplicable longing compells him to make the long journey home. After much soul-seeking and understanding, Hilary reconciles with his old life and moves towards his new one back at the home of his childhood. When he arrives, Mrs. Pilton recognizes him on sight and sends him with her blessings up to his old room where she knows Sabrina innocently awaits. And as Hilary first lays eyes on the lovely fresh-faced girl, he realizes why he was driven to make this homecoming---this is the girl he is destined for, the ONE he has been waiting for up until now to make his wife. Sabrina already half in love with him from her own imaginings, cannot help but fall for him, head over heels. Magical halycon days lie ahead for a couple star crossed in their love for one another . . .except for one slight detail . . . Hilary died in the plane in India.

Amazon.com has some used copies.
This post was last modified: 02-03-2005, 01:38 AM by Mick C..

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Mick C.   02-03-2005, 01:43 AM
fpw Wrote:Back to the, um, topic: Has anyone mentioned The Univited yet?

Is that the Ray Milland film? (IMDB.com lists several films with the title, including one about a mutated cat that sneaks aboard a yacht - actually, I may have to rent that last one.) I remember seeing it when I was a kid and being pretty scared, but don't remember much of the plot other than Milland and Olivia Hussey being in an old dark house.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
KRW   02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yes, it's same movie. Bombers? I can't remember....As I said, I haven't quite impressions. Maybe, I was too young, so I guess I couldn't understand this movie's impression.

The reason of your tear is Smoke gets in your eyes? :p

The tears also could have been from when they dropped the slurry on John Goodman, I laughed pretty hard on that scene! It was classic.

You should give this movie another chance and see what you think.

KRW
bkwormonthenet   02-04-2005, 01:14 AM
fpw Wrote:Back to the, um, topic: Has anyone mentioned The Univited yet?

FPW --

Apparently, there are a number of films with this title. Any other clues to narrow it down?

Sean
bkwormonthenet   02-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:This won't help at all, Sean, but back in 1978 I was living in Brockport. Our house was deserted over the Easter (gosh, pardon me, Spring! holiday), so I had the joint to meself. I like being alone, but I didn't like being alone after seeing a late-nite horror flick on channel 3. All I can recall, it was a Spanish-language flick with the best ghosts I've ever seen: they had ghastly grins on their faces and would =float= across this primitive jungle to go into the town to do their evil work. Not a good description, I know, and I don't know how to track it down. But God--that was a scary flick, even though I had to strain to read the subtitles!

Have you been able to pinpoint a title yet on this one? I'm going to work up a revised list from all the post suggestions and post it and wanted to include this one if I could.

I've been spending some time watching some of the suggestions, at least those in the local libraries as I can get them. I'm glad I asked this question!

Sean
Maggers   02-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Mick C. Wrote:Maggers, the book you're describing is probably "Tryst" by Elswyth Thane which was first published in 1939.

Mick!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it and I just ordered it!!!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Terry Willacker   02-07-2005, 06:30 PM
"The Uninvited" - It was on TCM last night. Great movie!

It was followed by another favorite of mine, "Portrait of Jennie." They showed the last reel tinted as originally shown. I had read about that, but not seen it that way.

Not to do a commercial, but TCM is doing their "31 days of oscars" and showing some great ones right now.
Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8